98 civic hx swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

your gonna need the 99-00 si rear bracket and also your gonna need the timing belt bracket.

Hey silentearth, i live in the Lehigh valley too and ran into the same problem with my 98 civic, how'd everything workout with yours?

he hasnt been here in 4 and a half years... i dont think he will be back to help you

if you have specific questions please create a new thread and post them up

to make a gsr have the same output as the type r will cost you more than 1k. get the type r but just know that the axles that come with it wont fit your current setup, you will need to get integra axles.
No it wont, not even close. Some stage 2 or 3 cams and valve spring upgrade, skunk2 intake mani, you should already have IHE and tuning will get you over the TypeR's 197hp, that hp at the crack not the wheels. I gain close to 25 whp on my B18b with just IHE and tuning, a stock B18b puts down 142hp at the crank im making 160 at the crank and spent less than $800 most of which was the Hondata. If you buy smart you can get parts cheap.

to make a gsr have the same output as the type r will cost you more than 1k. get the type r but just know that the axles that come with it wont fit your current setup, you will need to get integra axles.

well said :rimshot:

your gonna need the 99-00 si rear bracket and also your gonna need the timing belt bracket.
Yep B18's all of them need to have these from a 99-00 Si if swapping into a 92-00 Civic. If your Hx is already a manual trans then great that helps a lot. Swap the trans mount bracket from the D16 to the B trans, uses all the Civic's rubber mounts or upgrade to Hasport. The Hx harness will not work either. When I did my B18b swap on my 98 HX I used a 98 LX harness. The HX has an EGR and 5 wire O2 that makes rewiring a huge pain. Get a 97 EX harness and check out FF-squad.com for any wiring and repinning, it will be minimal and easy.

well said :rimshot:

Thank you

No it wont, not even close. Some stage 2 or 3 cams and valve spring upgrade, skunk2 intake mani, you should already have IHE and tuning will get you over the TypeR's 197hp, that hp at the crack not the wheels. I gain close to 25 whp on my B18b with just IHE and tuning, a stock B18b puts down 142hp at the crank im making 160 at the crank and spent less than $800 most of which was the Hondata. If you buy smart you can get parts cheap.

6 years ago when I posted this I was right, still today I'm right.

25 whp on i/h/e on a b18b huh, lets see your dyno graph.

Why are you saying whp in one sentence and crank hp in another?

Last edited:
Here you go, dyno results to prove it :)Bottom two lines( red and green are baseline before tuning with just IHE and ground wire kit if you want to count that. All the rest are from the tuning, the results and gains are at the bottom. My tuner Tim at Xact Dyno said that mine was the strongest stock B18b he had seen. My 25hp gain is based on a stock B18b. Stock at the wheels they make around 107-110whp.
B18.jpg

Its all in the tuning, IHE only will get you around 8-10whp. Tuning brings it all together and optimizes fuel and timing maps, always the motor and bolt ons to work at their full potential. I take pride in this set up as I did everything but tuning myself. I hope to see some good results from my Vtec head swap.

Last edited:
You said and I quote "I gain close to 25 whp on my B18b with just IHE and tuning"
I do not see 25 WHP gains anywhere.

Last edited:
^ Yeah man do the math, stock B18b puts 107whp I and making 133whp. 133whp-107whp=26whp. So you are right I did not make 25whp I made 26whp. My 2 baseline runs are with IHE before tuning so just IHE got me a total of 10whp. Again its all in the tuning, it is the key to get your mods to make the most power. Hondata S100 tuned with S300 on 91 octane. The S300's ability to have more control over the engine really helped with tuning to get those numbers.

I dont have a stock b18b dyno but it is common knowledge that a stock b181/b puts down around 105-110whp. Project Car magazine did an issue a few months back where they did an Ls Vtec buld. They base lined the 100% stock 98 USDM B18B1 and got 107whp. I am looking everywhere to find that mag so I can take a pic of the dyno chart.

You are running 2 1/4 exhaust arent you? I dont see what you take pride in buying i/h/e?

So you are claiming every b18b has drivetrain loss of ~25%?

certain dynos read higher and lower and no motor is the same.

No custom 2.5 inch exhaust, AEM CAI, 4-2-1 header, stock Si cat ,custom ground wires and Hondata S100 on 91 octane. And yes you are right every motor is not the same and dynos read differently. That is why I said between 105-110whp stock. Yes about 25% or 30hp is lost through a MT more through AT. Why are you being so argumentative? You did not believe that I made the power I did and asked for my dyno, I showed it to you. I dont know why my motor is making more hp. Maybe it is cause it only has 60k on it or it could have different pistons in it, I dont know. I will know for sure once the head is off. Got it used and was told by the seller that it may have had bottom end work done on it.

Well then bottom end work isn't just I/h/e is it? Mis-information is why I'm argumentative with everything you've posted. I have built several motors and know how hard 25whp is to pickup. I guess my current ls na motor I'm building with cams, I/h/e, 11.0.1 comp is essentially stock?

You really need to read before you type. As far as I know th bottom end is stock, but I bought the motor use. The motor exchanged hands 2 times and sat for a year before I got it. After all the time the owner that I bought it from said there might be some work done to it. I know the head is stock as I checked it out. I really do not know but I will be surprised to find anything other than stock pistons. I will tell you for sure when I pull off the head to do the Vtec swap.

Back