99 Civic EX 125K miles

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sgrafton

Hi, My 99 civic ex with 125k miles on it is starting to show signs of old age, It started getting cold in my place already and when I start my car in the morning and try to get going it, engine gasps for a little bit and after couple of minutes of gasping along with slow ride, it comes back up and runs normally and during this gasping my "check engine" light goes off frequently and eventually everything seems to come in place for a smooth ride.

This also happens when I don't use the over the weekend and try to use it on monday morning, it starts to gasp in the beginning.

I bought this car new and maintained well with regular oil changes etc etc.

Is it time that I should start thinking about getting a rebuilt/remanufactured engine, or is it something that I can get it fixed by the dealer, by the way onetime the check engine light didn't turn off and I took it to the dealer to be charged $100 for nothing.

He didn't see any problem with the engine?...And also I changed the timing belt when it had 90K miles.

Please let me know what if I can get it fixed with out having to replace the engine...

I appreciate your valuable suggestions.

Thanks!

Last edited:
My car does that too, after it hasnt been driven for several days. But only for about 1-2 seconds on startup, and never more than that. I'd like to know what causes it too, and if I should be worried about it. A mechanic around here said its probobly no big deal, but all they work on are Ford and Chevy trucks and probobly dont know jack about anything with less than 8 cylinders.

Have you ever done a tune up on it, such as replacing the cap, rotor, spark plugs? If not those are all way overdue to be replaced and could be causing a misfire. I doubt your engine is worn out, but you can get a compression/leakdown test done on it if you want to be absolutely sure.

Done a complete tune-up yet?? (spark plugs, spark plug wires, dist cap and rotor, intake air filter, fuel filter, fuel system cleaner)

The only things I recomend first is change the fuel filter and put in a bottle of them water remover for your fuel system. Might as well just buy the bottle that cleans and remove water from your fuel system.

Back