A B20a5 In A Crx

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

the_hulkamaniac

I can buy an 89 prelude, with a 2.0L, manual trans. Off a buddy of mine, rear of the car is toast.

Will this be a good motor for my 90 crx? I think it's a hf, 1.5L, manual trans.

The motor in the car is fairly new, and I can get the car cheap, what would I need if I get the complete vehicle?

B20A5 is what I think the motor is, correct me if I am wrong. What can I do to this motor down the road, when it's time for more power. Turbo, cams, headers, ect...

Thanks.

it is not worth it. The b20a5 is honda's bastard child of a motor. There is little to no aftermarket support for it. You will have to get custom mounts for it, as well as shiftlinkage and axels. If you really want a b20, get a b20 out of a CRV, then get a skunk2 intake manifold, and a different tranny.

No I never had my heart set on it, it was cheap and available. I think I will stay away. From what I have been reading the b16 is the way to go!

I am just going to have to find a good clip, from a wrecker of something. I live in canada so must of the american clips are going to be difficult to purchase.

Is there a good list of cars/models/years, that I can begin to look for with one of these motors. v-tec if possible.

thanks again.

The cost will be the same by the end of the project, I've just done my swap, b20 block from 97 crv, b16a vtec head, pr3 ecu. Ok this is what I end up with, my 91 CRX has too much touqre at low end afraid to get more rev to the motor,
b20 block cannot sustain hi-rev where honda make all the power at the 5000 to 12000RPM, so now I am doing more research to beef up this block and shift the powerband to 4000 to 9000 rpm and still be safe, If you settle for b16 or b18
then you have a motor that can rev happy at 8000rpm all day long with only 120ft-lb of tourqe with the top adds on like turbo or suppercharging you be inluck if you can get that up to 180, but horse power can climb as high as 300 at the wheel, that is why all the honda guys try to pick a car with the least weight, I put in a lot of consideration when i did my swap since i dont race it at all but that little kick on the freeway on ramp or doing 75mph up the hill on anyfreeway is a joy, as of now i have not fully tune the car or dyno test it yet, but loving it 2 much already.
On the net there are alot lot info and pro and cons on engine swap but no one will tell you how to get around the bad stuff, i learn the hardway.....there is a solution to every prloblems but not all of them.......

hondas dont make power above some 11000rpm. there are some that rev to 10800-11000 but thats it. 8000-9000 is the norm.

Don't do it- Save yourself the headache and the money- I the B20A5 is the most useless motor honda ever created- I woul dknow because i have a 90 prelude si- Plus all the custom fabrication you woul dneed to make it fit far outweights it's small list of advantages- just go B16a like evryone else-

I have a 1991 CRX Si with a B20B VTEC. I have a 4-1 DC Sports header. The pull of torque is around 3500 rpm for me and seems to want to keep pulling up to 7200 rpm where I don't go beyond. The bottom end is not built, however, there is not much to be gained in the higher revs, unless one wants to make noise through tunnels. The biggest downside to many of the Honda motors is that there is no torque and power is high in the revs. The B20B with VTEC, and help from a 4-1 header seems to change the rules, so to speak. 12 000 rpm? What do you have? A motorcycle? :)

My block has only 52 000 Km on it so I was not about to rebuild it. I've driven with this swap for 4300 Km so far. Once it needs it, and hopefully not anytime soon, I will go with rods and higher compression pistons. One bonus I like over the B16A I had is that I save 10 to 11 cents per litre of gas as I can run regular under the approximate 9.1:1 cr in the CR-VTEC.

I am in Canada too, btw.

Swap Pictures & Videos

Back