A couple VTEC questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

well I put a new gasket on the vtec solenoid...the little on on top and it doesnt fit nearly as good as the original. (It actually leaks a little; considering using some liguid gasket on it) Then I hooked up a test light and noticed that the light came on as I hit like 6500 rpm.

No not that one...the filter/gasket on the upper portion...the new style doesnt fit very well and the screen is not incorporated into the gasket. Also does anbody know the significance of the brass disc with the offset hole in it in the upper portion of the vtec solenoid? It sits on top of the plunger portion. Just want to know if I have it in right.

Ok so if you were to get the same part which car would you tell them its for, and its not the larger vertical screen and gasket...its the top horizontal smaller one. It fits...Its the exact shape just smaller in diameter.

Ok I went back to Honda and surprise...they were no help. We looked up the part from a few different cars and they were all the same part number. I got the engine from h motors online so I dont know what year it is. It is a b16a sir2.

These vtec solenoids on ebay...Do I have to use a B series one one or will one of these d16zc or h22 ones work?

Oh and also before I try this...can I use my old P05 ecu (d15b8) on my car to test it...I know 92 civics were pre wired for vtec but I dont know if the ecu was set up for it?

Last edited:
I have the SiRII swap as well. I always order parts from a 95 Del sol VTEC. That is the B16a3 engine. So far I haven't ran into any problems with the crossovers. I also am pretty sure you have to have a vtec solenoid from your engine type, for instance, a d-series vtec solenoid will not work with a b-series engine. I would also stick with your p30 ecu.

I have the SiRII swap as well. I always order parts from a 95 Del sol VTEC. That is the B16a3 engine. So far I haven't ran into any problems with the crossovers. I also am pretty sure you have to have a vtec solenoid from your engine type, for instance, a d-series vtec solenoid will not work with a b-series engine. I would also stick with your p30 ecu.

Dang.. I got my hopes up...another guy told me it should work as long as the wire reached...hoping to get off cheap.

V-Tec

from what i've read it sounds like you have power to it, but is the ground wire good as well, hook your lite to it and see if it lites, if it does it's not grounded good, also you could just for testing hook up a manual switch, but make sure it's not connected to the ECM., get it up to 6500 rpm and hit the swich, if you still don't feel any differance you may have a problem with the cam or v-tec tappets.

Back