a whole new way to get to the moon

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

:unsure: I just... don't know what to say to that... other than Congress and NASA have already wasted a cool 3 mill they could have given to me instead.

Thats fucking retarded. How the fuck can they attach a cable from Earth to the Moon, and not expect that shit to get wound up and tangled throughout orbit. :shrug2: Sounds like a shitass plan to me.

its kinda hard to explain that idea with out people not getting it.

Originally posted by Seany-izzle@Jun 26 2004, 04:27 PM
and whats gonna propel this elevator into space and back

Ok, I'm sorry, that was wrong.

wrong enough for me to edit out your post. don't do that racial shit again

OK if they're just gonna build an elevator to 65000 miles out, and they're not going to connect it to anything, what's the god damn point? Another way to spend Tax dollars! hoorah!

Thats gotta be the dumbest thing i heard. Maybe this is where all the extra money from gas prices is going to. Its a damn conspiracy!!!

Originally posted by MugenCRX@Jun 26 2004, 12:50 AM
Thats fucking retarded. How the fuck can they attach a cable from Earth to the Moon, and not expect that shit to get wound up and tangled throughout orbit. :shrug2: Sounds like a shitass plan to me.

It makes complete sense to me. If you read the article, you'll notice that they never said anything about it being attached to the moon. It's just an elevator to get out into space and out of Earth's gravity. It terminates in space- not on the moon.

I heard about this project a few years ago- it's good to hear that they're actually taking action on it.

:thumbsup:

Okay. Good job Calesta, that makes more sense. It would end, but kinda like some sort of dock. From there, there could be ships waiting and the need for extremely powerful rockets to go into space would be minimized, because as we all know, a lot of fuel is required just to get out, but not as much is needed once the shuttle is already in space. Awesome idea.

:lmao: :lmao:

That's a long ride up, I dunno if I could take that much of Enya.

this was in my popular science magazine last month. they have all sorts of crazy shit going on, this is just one of them :)

The idea for this is decades old, I'm surprised not everyone has heard of it. :p
I don't think the repair concepts have been fully fleshed out yet, but I guess that's why we've got 15 years to go. Holes from micrometerorites, lightning, and general wear and tear need to be constantly repaired somehow. The current thought about getting the repair done is to have robotic 'crawlers' that constantly go over the lines and repair any damage they find, but just how to repair load-bearing nanotubes in the field is the sticking point right now, I think.

Back