act or exedy

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tip

i am goint to change the clutch and possible the fly wheel as well on my swap before i put it in. I am wanting to know any ideas on which one of the two i have listed and if another one is better then list it please. Keep in mind that this is not a all out drag car, but is a daily and weekend racer. thanks for you guy's help

Quoted post[/post]]
i am goint to change the clutch and possible the fly wheel as well on my swap before i put it in. I am wanting to know any ideas on which one of the two i have listed and if another one is better then list it please. Keep in mind that this is not a all out drag car, but is a daily and weekend racer. thanks for you guy's help
IMO, Exedy and ACT are too close to call. If I remember correctly, I think ACT uses Exedy disc (someone correct me if i'm wrong) I like my Exedy Street Clutch, it never gets hot, it's last me a lot longer than a stock clutch, and the pedal feel isn't bad. It's a little stiffer than stock but not by much. I haven't used either companies flywheels so I can't speak on them. I thought I told you this in your other thread lol

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
IMO, Exedy and ACT are too close to call. If I remember correctly, I think ACT uses Exedy disc (someone correct me if i'm wrong) I like my Exedy Street Clutch, it never gets hot, it's last me a lot longer than a stock clutch, and the pedal feel isn't bad. It's a little stiffer than stock but not by much. I haven't used either companies flywheels so I can't speak on them. I thought I told you this in your other thread lol

yes you did and thanks for this but i am looking for someone that has used the clutch and flywheel combo. but you did not mention about act using exedy disc. thanks a million thought.

I've never heard of ACT using Exedy discs... I doubt that they do.

I've run through two ACT HD/SS clutch setups, and I loved them. The HD/SS is strong enough to run just about whatever power you'll use on the street, and there's no reason to go any higher unless you're going with some crazy turbo setup pushing 400whp or more.

I've also had the Fidanza flywheel. It's a 7.5 pounder, so pretty comparable to the ACT flywheel. No problems on the street, and it's very easy to drive.

ACT does not use Exedy disks. Exedy uses disks which are manufactured by Daikin, and ACT manufactures their own disks, I believe.

I've ran an Exedy clutch/ACT flywheel setup on 3 cars in the past, and had zero problems or complaints. In the CRX, I'll be running an Exedy clutch/Fidanza flywheel, but only because the Fidanza was cheaper than an ACT flywheel, and I'm short on cash.

Exedy clutch/ACT prolite FTW

i dunno about either i havent heard anything about exedy clutches, i know a lot of people like their ACT street disks, and i know i LOVE my Clutch Masters FX100 disk.

hmm... I thought that I heard something about ACT using Exedy Disc for their OEM replacement clutches that they sell or something like that. Maybe it was another company.

Exedy uses disks which are manufactured by Daikin, and ACT manufactures their own disks, I believe.

you have it backwards....exedy makes their own cores...act uses oem cores.....i would buy the exedy....more R&D and higher standards.....they know their shit....just go to the exedy website.....

ACT .... if you want to transfer true horse power...Exedy if your budget is not as much as you wuld like...you get what you pay for..I hate Exedy but its hard to beat what you get for the price...ACT all the way if you have the extra coin..you will not be dissapointed

Quoted post[/post]]
ACT .... if you want to transfer true horse power...Exedy if your budget is not as much as you wuld like...you get what you pay for..I hate Exedy but its hard to beat what you get for the price...ACT all the way if you have the extra coin..you will not be dissapointed

:werd: Matt.

Quoted post[/post]]
biased huh Matt? lol

Quoted post[/post]]
FUCK EXEDY..yeah OEM IF YOUR RUNNIN A OEM MOTOR with no MODS!!! ACT FTW!

what would be the difference in the street lite and pro lite ACT fly wheels.

and no i will not be going to or over 400 hp.....more like 300 at best and that would be later on anyways. I am still unsure on which one to use ...........And on the model of the clutch ACT=HDSS and which one of the Exedy would be comparible to the ACT.

thanks for all your help this far

:withstupid: :withstupid: :withstupid: :withstupid:

i have the exedy 3 puck sprung disk and its easier on the leg than the act i had on my first teg......

Quoted post[/post]]
Exedy uses disks which are manufactured by Daikin, and ACT manufactures their own disks, I believe.

you have it backwards....exedy makes their own cores...act uses oem cores.....i would buy the exedy....more R&D and higher standards.....they know their shit....just go to the exedy website.....
thats not 100% accurate
ACT Pressure Plates – Better by Design

Pressure plate design is the key to a clutch’s performance. ACT manufactures and builds their unique pressure plates using specially designed diaphragm springs to maximize clamp load and clutch life. ACT’s diaphragm technology is what separates us from the competition.

Most ACT pressure plates start life as new stock units that get completely disassembled and redesigned for high performance use. No, we do not manufacture every pressure plate from raw materials. Does that mean ACT is nothing more than just a rebuilder? Not so. The most critical difference is our ability to engineer and manufacture diaphragm springs, although we can make and have made virtually any other component we need.

Even the large OE clutch companies do not manufacture many of the clutches they sell. It’s usually a matter of economics. To complete their lineup of applications, they purchase much of their product from other OE manufacturers so they can avoid the high tooling and development costs associated primarily with the cover stamping. It usually costs over $100,000 per application for tooling alone just for one style cover stamping. Unless there are substantial weaknesses with the stock cover stamping design that cannot be overcome otherwise, it is just not practical for ACT to design and purchase our own tooling.

In the case of the Integra B-series clutch, there were so many limitations with the original design (hmmm would that be the exedy design????) that engineering a completely new pressure plate was indeed the best alternative. Therefore ACT engineered and manufactures the complete cover from scratch. It took substantial investment for stamping dies and other tooling but the results were worth it. We could have saved significantly on tooling by making it a pretty aluminum cover, but the performance would have suffered. Sure we could get more money for pretty anodized aluminum pressure plates, but what is the purpose if it can’t perform as well? We want to provide real value to the customer, not just perceived value.

In some cases the only original parts ACT uses are the cover and the pivot rings. The rest of the parts (diaphragms, rivets, torque straps, clutch face) we manufacture. On most pressure plates ACT offers, we compare and choose the best OE style pressure plate available and change the diaphragm spring and then make changes for increased clamp load and improved reliability. On a number of pressure plates, we weld a reinforcement gusset to the cover stamping for increased rigidity (far more economical than a new cover).
http://www.advancedclutch.com/proveit/tech...etterdesign.asp

ok
ACT completely makes their own B series clutches
so people please stop spreading this bullshit about ACT using stock or exedy or any other clutches

there were so many limitations with the original design (hmmm would that be the exedy design????)

i dont think so.......because an oem clutch will hold some good hp #....but the hold just wont last....but for what they are made for they are more than adequate....just like with ANY oem clutch.and they last a long time...

In some cases the only original parts ACT uses are the cover and the pivot rings

at least they accept the use oem parts

but exedy is a personal pref...

tip....buy what you think is good....

I still want to see an Exedy clutch hold a TRUE 300 HP all day long without slippage...sure it will work, but your going to lose a decent amount of HP to the wheels with slipage...there pressure plates are just not made for that kind of power...buy what fits your budget and what works for you..I am just giving you all my honest opinon..I have used all sorts of different clutches through the years and will never again buy an Exedy clutch....every one of my cars is running a ACT HDSS setup, full organic street/strip disk with HD Pressure plate to match....flywheel all depends on you...I like the ACT's, but have used Fidanza and Aasco also with no problems

Back