All Motor D Series Questions!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

allmotord16rex

I can get a d16z6 for a good price for my crx. I am going to get a conversion harness and convert it to obd1. I plan on running zc pistons and rods for high compression. My question is, does anyone know what is the best cam for this combination. I need a cam with a nice profile, but i am worried about valve clearance. Does anyone have this setup and know what cam will work. Also, what kind of power should i expect? I will have all of the boltons plus the necessary fuel management etc. Thanks.

Yeah, i was planning on getting the zex 59300, what do you guys think? Do you think there are any clearance problems with that cam and zc pistons? I also have a question about the conversion harness. I am new to converting cars to different obd years. Can someone basically explain to me how it is installed. Does the original harness have to be completely removed? Thanks

Not sure about the harness... why not run a non-OBD setup (your stock setup) and a VAFC or GhettoDyne to tune?

Lots of people have been using the ZEX cam and the DOHC ZC pistons with no problems- but you should clay for clearance to check first.

You might also want to consider the Crower Stage 3 cam and the Exospeed offerings.

I have a d16 motor as well. I think they are 125hp stock? What are some bolt-on parts I could add to it to get it around 240hp. And run 12second quarter mile? From other post It looks like a list would go like this?

1.) AEM cam gears
2.) toda lightweight fly wheel
3.) 4-1 dc headers
4.) Greddy turbo kit (heard this is not the best turbo kit but not sure whats better)

Really not sure whatelse can be done to a motor ;/ any feedback would be great :)

I had a D16 motor in my 97 Civic. I had a Thermal R&D cat-back exhaust, Clutchmaster stage 3 clutch, GReddy Turbo kit, and a GReddy intercooler. I had around 200 hp to the wheels running 7 psi.

Originally posted by seriot@Jul 22 2003, 02:51 PM
I have a d16 motor as well. I think they are 125hp stock? What are some bolt-on parts I could add to it to get it around 240hp. And run 12second quarter mile? From other post It looks like a list would go like this?

1.) AEM cam gears
2.) toda lightweight fly wheel
3.) 4-1 dc headers
4.) Greddy turbo kit (heard this is not the best turbo kit but not sure whats better)

Really not sure whatelse can be done to a motor ;/ any feedback would be great :)

You're not going to get 240hp with bolt ons.

1. AEM cam gears- you can only put one on a D16Z6, not two, and don't buy AEM
2. Toda flywheel- get something cheaper- Toda is overpriced for something like this
3. You only use one header on an inline 4, and you can't use it with a turbo kit
4. The Greddy kit is an excellent place to start, or you can put your own kit together

The stock D16Z6 puts out 125hp to the flywheel. If you want 240hp at the fly, you're going to have to go turbo or build up internally and throw on a huge shot of nitrous. There aren't any easy ways to get 240hp out of a D16. You're going to have to custom fabricate something, do some work inside the engine, or put together your own turbo setup.

One of my friends had a D16 in his 95 Civic and he has a shit load of stuff done to it. GReddy turbo and intercooler, completely rebuilt D16, Thermal exhaust, full MSD ignition, ZEX 75 shot, Clutchmasters stage 3 clutch and flywheel, Apexi VTEC controller, and a couple of other things I can't remember right now. But he only had 255 hp at the wheels.

So you are going to be spending alot of money to get your D16 245 hp.

yeah, 240 with bolts on, OK. The more weight you take out the faster it goes boys. Look at other options to free up power, not just add it.

Milan

Originally posted by 2fastCRX@Jul 22 2003, 05:25 PM
One of my friends had a D16 in his 95 Civic and he has a shit load of stuff done to it. GReddy turbo and intercooler, completely rebuilt D16, Thermal exhaust, full MSD ignition, ZEX 75 shot, Clutchmasters stage 3 clutch and flywheel, Apexi VTEC controller, and a couple of other things I can't remember right now. But he only had 255 hp at the wheels.

So you are going to be spending alot of money to get your D16 245 hp.

255whp that's it? My buddy Daniel made 299whp on his SOHC VTEC D block with no nitrous. Something's wrong with your friend's setup.

Pulleys slowly destroy your engine and components.

Any major brand cam gear with at least 4 bolts is generally good. I would recommend Skunk2.

Is it possible to get a d16z6 to 200hp NA? Thats my goal :D

Im Bisi for that answer :) but honestly I think you can do it with a sohc, not sure about being a 1.6 liter, your going to need higher compression and more displacement.

good luck, mad respect to all sohc NA peepsz....

Milan

Originally posted by SolPWR@Jul 22 2003, 11:35 PM
Is it possible to get a d16z6 to 200hp NA? Thats my goal :D

At the crank, yes you can do it. It's not easy though. People like Bisi running with large budgets and race gas can do it at the wheels, but it's probably close to impossible on a street car. I have seen people pushing 170-175whp all motor on SOHC VTEC D blocks though.

That was how much hp he ran daily, since it was a daily driven car. He turned up the boost to 28 psi at the track and ran over 300hp to the wheels. I can't remeber the number exactly though. He got rid of his car a couple weeks before summer started.

Originally posted by Calesta@Jul 22 2003, 11:24 PM
Pulleys slowly destroy your engine and components.

Any major brand cam gear with at least 4 bolts is generally good. I would recommend Skunk2.

I would not. The skunk2 gear had a problem when printing the degree numbers. They are not degreed properly. When you set them at 0 degrees they can be up to + or - 2 degrees. Also dont Get AEM, they are known to slip.

how about some proof on that statement??

i've got skunk2's and have had no issues except for the time the bolt fell out and tore apart my timing belt and bent a valve

Originally posted by pills_PMD@Jul 23 2003, 10:18 AM
how about some proof on that statement??

i've got skunk2's and have had no issues except for the time the bolt fell out and tore apart my timing belt and bent a valve

is that all>?

lol, it wasn't Skunk2's fault if I remember correctly--didn't someone forget to tighten down all the bolts, or was that someone else?

Back