all motor poorman type r

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tphan4

a friend of ours is trying to put together an all motor setup in his 95 civic dx coupe..

B18c1 Block
B16a2 Head
Type R Valvetrain and Cams,
Block has type r pistons
Compression is 11:1
ClutchMasters Clutch
GSR Hydro Tranny
Skunk2 ECU with 5100 vtec
N1 full cat

any ideas wat the redline would be at? and are there benefits of using the b16a2 head in this setup because I know I asked about the poormans type r before and alot of people said wasnt worth it unless moded?

well it will depend on how many rpms your rods can handle

like above, DYNO it. my lsvtec quit making power at 8250, so the entire CTR/ITR valvetrain I had was only useful to that.

yes i agree with whats been said above. dyno it and see where the power begins to fall off, set the redline according to that. pills has done a lot of work with his i would listen to him.

-like above, DYNO it. my lsvtec quit making power at 8250, so the entire CTR/ITR valvetrain I had was only useful to that.

is that with a stock ls bottom end?

Originally posted by Speedracer228@Jan 3 2005, 10:22 AM
-like above, DYNO it. my lsvtec quit making power at 8250, so the entire CTR/ITR valvetrain I had was only useful to that.

is that with a stock ls bottom end?
[post=440456]Quoted post[/post]​

regardless of bottom end you should still dyno it to see where the power is made.

understood, i guess i worded my ? wrong..

i was asking if thats all the LS bottom end is capable of making power to (8250 rpm) built or stock...

it was virtually a stock bottom end. It had .025 over pr3 pistons, so the compression was bumped up a bit, and it used arp rod bolts and head studs.

https://hondaswap.com/~pills

for some more info. click on cars

it could, depends on the cam, cam timing, fuel/ignition curves etc. lots of variables, but mainly the cams. some cams just don't make power up that high

thats what i thought, but i got confused when you brought in how you had an LS bottom end. (im dumb you were talking about the CTR/ITR valvetrain's limitations not the bottom end)
I thought as long as you had everything put together right, with some good bearings it only depends on the headwork/Cams to get the power out of the higher rpms, and that the bottom end wouldnt really restrict that. But with reliablilty i could see if you left the LS bottom end stock except for some pistons with larger valve releifs, and you put in more agressive cams and better valve springs it would make power up high but the bottom end would give out faster than say a gsr or type r bottom end.

Edit: i am dumb and didnt read it right the first time and misenterpreted what you said, but am i right in what assumed in my statement?

As long as you do the valvetrain I would rev until you start losing power.
I have stage 2 cams and full valvetrain and I stop making hp at 7500, but I have a LS motor.

Originally posted by Speedracer228@Jan 3 2005, 01:54 PM
so would a built ls bottom end be able to make power over 8250rpm? or does it not make a difference
[post=440516]Quoted post[/post]​

I'd say your compression ratio and your cams would be the decider on that!

Back