Alright comp nerds.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CiViC_SOHC

I want to build a computer for cheap but I want it to be able to play games. I have a dell now at my other house but I really don't want it lol....So what I want to know is like a complete set up...(I want to make it becuase its cheaper then buying one complete) I have a few comp geeks that can help me but I figured you guys are pretty good with comps and that you can help me out. Websites and shit or what not will help. Thanks guys! I just want a good gaming platform!

Well, go AMD. Athlon 64, Socket 939, as fast as your wallet will let you.

Get yourself a decent board (Abit or Asus, nForce chipset a MUST). Something with SLI would be preferred, but not an absolute requirement. PCI Express, however, is.

Video card, nVidia. Once again, nuff said. A 6600 GT would be a nice card. Once again, wallet permitting... 7800GTX.

RAM... as much as you can, as fast as you can.

Go wtih SATA drives if you can afford it, high RPM ATA133 drives if not. Once again, as much space as allowed by monetary availability.

That's about it. Pick a case, a nice power supply, some cooling and go.

give us a budget because i dont know what to recommend. but ill break it down into 3 sections. low price, mid price, and holy crap. oh yeah, this is going to be all AMD because Intel cant be considered for serious gaming right now unless you want to spend a shit load more and get worst results. and as for the memory, save money dont need the fastest because for AMD, cpu speed is king. run dividers.

Low Range:

Motherboard: Chaintech Ultra $74
CPU: AMD 3000+ Venice Revision E $140
RAM: Corsair Value Select 2X512MB $85
Graphics Card: eVGA 6600GT $135
PSU: OCZ Modstream 450 $70
Hard Drive: Hitachi 80GB SATA $50
Burner: NEC 3540A $40
Floppy: Scrub around. Not worth $13
Speakers: Logitech X530 5.1 Surround Sound $50
Sound Card: Onboard Free
Keyboard: Logitech Basic with Mouse $13
Case: Cheapest you can find $30-40

Total: $697

Mid Range:

Motherboard: DFI Ultra-D $125
CPU: Opteron 165 Dual Core $299
RAM: OCZ Platnium 2X1GB $230
Graphics Card: eVGA 7800GT $340
PSU: OCZ Powerstream 520 $110
Hard Drive: Western Digital 250GB SATA $120
Speakers: Logitech 5500 5.1 $200
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy Z2S $60
Keyboard: Logitech LX700 $60
Case: Antec $60

Total: $1644

Balls to Walls:

Motherboard: DFI SLi-DR $180
CPU: AMD X2 4800+ $800
RAM: Crucial Ballistix TCCD CAS 2 2X1GB $280
Graphics Card: 2XeVGA 7800GTX $1000
PSU: PC Powercooling 600 Watt Turbo $230
Hard Drive: 2XWD Raptor 76GB RAID 0 + 500GB Seagate $550
Burner: Plextor 740A $140
Speakers: Logitech 5500 $200
Sound Card: Creative X-Fi $130
Keyboard: Logitech Gaming Mouse and Keyboard $120
Case: Antec P180 $120

Total: $3750

For the monitor, get whatever you want. Preferably at least 19" LCD with a response time of 16ms or faster. As for the hard drive, thats really up to you.

For the low range, I choose the Chaintech and Venice because they are both good and overclock well if you want too. Also the new Venice Rev. E supports faster memory speed the DDR400 with a BIOS flash. As for the graphics card, the 6600gt is the best bang for the buck right now and eVGa because they offer lifetime warranty, as does BFG. For the speakers, I have them and you can't beat it for the price. Really good setup for 40 bucks. The NEC burner is also the best burner for the price also.

As the mid price range, some may think why the fuck an Opteron? Well because these have been getting crazy overclocks with stock voltage and cooling, like 2.7ghz. They are dual-core and also have 1MB of cache each. They only cost 300 as compared to the lowest dual core X2 3800+ which cost $20 more, but has only 512kb of cache. The X2 does perform a tad bit faster than the Opteron, but do not overclock as well. Also, they say the Opterons are basically locked FX series and are high quality because they are server/workstation class processors. The graphics card is a no brainer. Best mid range card aviable. Also the DFI board is one bad ass board that can extremely stable and can be modded to an SLi board with a pencil and circuit pen. The Audigy 2 sound cards are being replaced and they are great now for the price. Way better than onboard. The speakers are the shit too.

The balls to the walls need no explaintion. Best parts avaible for the money. Everything is tops.

All in all, you can mix and match whatever from my suggestions. If you are going to game often, you can choose a lesser cpu and a better graphics card because the game will be GPU limited way before CPU limited. And dont skimp on the power supply. If you do, you may live to regret it because they can take out everything including cpu and motherboard. Stick with name brands like Antec, Tagan, Enermax, OCZ, etc.. As for the RAM. Again, you can just run dividers. AMD has on die memory controller so they don't make that much of a difference. Maybe 5% real-world gains.

Anyway, these are just my suggestions. Go out and have fun.

oh yeah. check out these sites for prices and deals.

www.monarchcomputers.com
www.zipzoomfly.com
www.newegg.com
www.pricegrabber.com
www.froggle.com
www.ewiz.com

Quoted post[/post]]
Motherboard: Chaintech Ultra $74
CPU: AMD 3000+ Venice Revision E $140
RAM: Corsair Value Select 2X512MB $85
Graphics Card: eVGA 6600GT $135
PSU: OCZ Modstream 450 $70
Hard Drive: Hitachi 80GB SATA $50
Floppy: Scrub around. Not worth $13
Speakers: Logitech X530 5.1 Surround Sound $50
Sound Card: Onboard Free
Keyboard: Logitech Basic with Mouse $13
Case: Cheapest you can find $30-40

That's actually a pretty nice setup for the money. I wouldn't dip that low on the board though. Not a fan of Chaintech. Abit or Asus is simply where it's at. And I can vouch for the 6600GT. It's pretty decent for a sub $200 card.

Ok that low budget one is catching my eye lol....what kind of board should I get then?...Hmm I got 520 in the bank right now but I want to put that towards my car...maybe ill get lucky and ill have my project done early and can do some gaming over winter :p check out this sweet case I just found!!!
11-144-026-32.JPG

11-144-026-38.JPG

11-144-026-40.JPG

here are the rest in case you want to look more at it but this thing is freaking awesome and its cheap!!!!
Sweet computer case!

Something made by Asus or Abit that's socket 939 and has PCI-express

The question really is...what games are you wanting to play? Zoo Tycoon 2? BF2? Halflife 2? F.E.A.R?

Gaming? CRT monitor...unless you want to shell out for a IMO 8ms or lower (especially playing online). This is a good place to save some money (not space however) since bigger CRTs are cheaper and will be better for gaming

VGA = BFG Nvidia, along with the 24/7 tech support, and lifetime warranty, they are factory overclocked, which means a warranted performance boost out of teh box.

Memory I'd go with the Corsair select, as a mtter of fact, I did. Good memory, and cheap. You could get four gigs for the cost of teo of the OCZ stuff, and chances are, you aren't going to be noticing milliseconds.

If you want something that is going to be supported in the years to come, as mentioned already PCI-E and the 939 sockets are the way to go.

Best advice is, are you a hardcore gamer? If not than don't get the very best shit, because you won't notice huge leaps, except the ones coming out of your wallet, but if you think you are, or are going to become one, do it right the first time.

Quoted post[/post]]
The question really is...what games are you wanting to play? Zoo Tycoon 2? BF2? Halflife 2? F.E.A.R?

Gaming? CRT monitor...unless you want to shell out for a IMO 8ms or lower (especially playing online). This is a good place to save some money (not space however) since bigger CRTs are cheaper and will be better for gaming

VGA = BFG Nvidia, along with the 24/7 tech support, and lifetime warranty, they are factory overclocked, which means a warranted performance boost out of teh box.

Memory I'd go with the Corsair select, as a mtter of fact, I did. Good memory, and cheap. You could get four gigs for the cost of teo of the OCZ stuff, and chances are, you aren't going to be noticing milliseconds.

If you want something that is going to be supported in the years to come, as mentioned already PCI-E and the 939 sockets are the way to go.

Best advice is, are you a hardcore gamer? If not than don't get the very best shit, because you won't notice huge leaps, except the ones coming out of your wallet, but if you think you are, or are going to become one, do it right the first time.
im confused ont he sockets and acronym shit lol I know SOME of them but not all of them...so is that shell good or not? And I am not a SERIOUS gamer...I just want to be able to play WOW, Counter Strike stuff like that. High graphic games...I know what Nvidia is but I don't know what VGA is....and CRT's? the monitors are were you threw me off lol...We bought a 19'' LCD Flat panel...its kickass but I won't be able to get one lol...we got charged WAY to much for it...$512...dad didn't shop around and thats what he gets lol.

CRT = TV style. Bigass and heavy as shit.

VGA = refers to graphics card

It sounds like for what you want to do, the low end machine will be fine.

I selected the OCZ over the Corsair because DFI boards for some reason don't like to play nice with them. I did and I'm one of the very few who successfully got it to boot and have no problems. Also, OCZ has bad ass support and respond pretty fast.

As for the board, Chaintech is a good nice cheap set up. However, ASUS is a nice choice too. They even have the SLi versions for around 130ish. I wouldnt go with ABIt though. Its over priced and a DFI board would crush it. Plus I read somewhere, I think anandtech, that some top engineers from ABIT went to DFI. Even if you don't overclock, overclocker shit is the best because they are the most stable because thats what overclockers do; push their stuff to the max and make it stable. I would go DFI, but that may be a little over your heard, so maybe an ASUS since theyre really easy to setup.

Nvidia is also a great choice for video cards now because new firmware allows mixing the vendors for SLi. You can get a BFG 6600GT and mix it with an eVGA 6600GT and get SLi. Before, it had to be the exact same card from the same vendor, but it just has to be the exact same model like 6600gt and 6600gt or 7800gt and 7800gt. Either of those two companies are great because the level of support and lifetime warranties. Also, since your not a serious gamer, a 6600GT will play those games fine and its only 130 after rebates and such.

I would actually advise on NOT getting a CRT. The new ones that are being produced sucked badly compared to just a couple of years ago. Im not to sure on the detail, but do a google. Also, to put in a little info, I have a BenQ and it only has 16ms reponse time, and I play Half-Life 2 and Doom 3 without problems or shadows. People even game on the Dell ones and those are like 18ms i think. If you decide on getting a CRT, get one that is a few years older, not the new ones. They are superior to LCDs in terms of image, but LCDs are catching up and even the bargain ones are really decent. Besides with a 19LCD you get the view of a humongous 21" CRT. Your choice.

JUST DO NOT SKIMP ON THE PSU (power supply). A cheap one will be fine for a few mos or a year, but after that they start to shit on. Especially on powerful systems or DFI boards. A DFI board will give you a shit load of problems if you dont have at least a 480watt with good amps and 24pin connector.

Anyway, good luck.

Nvidia just released a fucking beast. The 6800GS. Its going for about $210 and it crushes the 6600GT, has 12 pixel pipelines comared to the 8 that the 6600GT has and it performs on par with the 6800GT. It also outperforms most of the ATi cards. I think this is a great buy for 200 bucks. But again, if you are not serious about gaming the 6600GT will be very good and you can save that 70 for something else.

gaming computers are getting cheaper and cheaper

Random Case: 28.99
ANTEC TRUEPOWERII 550: 89.99
ABIT K8N nForce4 SLI: 116.00
Sapphire X800GTO: 159.00
512MB Corsair Registered RAM PC3200 RAM: 70.55
Athlon 64 3000+ (Venice): 139.00
80GB WD Cavier HD: 54.01
HP 16x DVD Burner: 39.99

TOTAL-734.83

I havent built a computer system in about a year...but i might do it now.

blah crap on the GTO. rather get the GTO squared for an additonal 40 bucks, if you can find that is, and unlock them to X850XT PE with a BIO's flash. Either that or a 6800GS.

and whats with registered ram?? slows down the system and costs a shit load. 1GB unbuffered unregistered >>>> 512mb registered

and i would ditch the HP burner for the NEC or BenQ. they have been tested to be just a notch below or on par with the $140 Plextor and Sonys.

registered is better for servers and business machines where occasional random data loss isn't tolerable. For a home user, registered memory serves no real purpose.

Quoted post[/post]]
registered is better for servers and business machines where occasional random data loss isn't tolerable. For a home user, registered memory serves no real purpose.

Random occasional data loss isn't tolerable in ANY situation.

thats why if i was a home user, i would have 3 drives in raid 0+1. but not even i cant afford that so, frequent back is a must. we all know windoes; even mr. gates himself has problems with it.

id still take unregistered because my data isnt all the important, if it is, usually have 2 back ups of it on dvd+rs and the cost out weighs the benefits for home use.

eh, what can i say. B opened my eyes to registered ram. i havent had a BSOD in FOREVER...i used to get em all the time.

Quoted post[/post]]
thats why if i was a home user, i would have 3 drives in raid 0+1. but not even i cant afford that so, frequent back is a must. we all know windoes; even mr. gates himself has problems with it.

id still take unregistered because my data isnt all the important, if it is, usually have 2 back ups of it on dvd+rs and the cost out weighs the benefits for home use.

Screw 0+1, with three drives, you want RAID 5.

Back