alternate downshift technique

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

silver

i downshift every time i drive home, since my subdivision is off a stupidass one way road i get to take the long way home..but anyways
i hit 40 mph while going down a moderate hill shift to neutral then slide all the way back up, only i'd have to brake before turning in. so one day i decide to try downshifting to slow down before going there, and well i dont ever double clutch to downshift (i mean smoothly, without raping my synchros).
easier way to downshift (supposing you're in gear), hit clutch, rev engine, shift and ease off of clutch so you dont jolt the transmission but the clutch still catches on a little to match revs. try it sometime

That's exactly how you're suppposed to do it, except it's still better to match revs perfectly and not jolt the clutch at all.

Originally posted by silver@Jul 9 2003, 07:23 PM
i downshift every time i drive home, since my subdivision is off a stupidass one way road i get to take the long way home..but anyways
i hit 40 mph while going down a moderate hill shift to neutral then slide all the way back up, only i'd have to brake before turning in. so one day i decide to try downshifting to slow down before going there, and well i dont ever double clutch to downshift (i mean smoothly, without raping my synchros).
easier way to downshift (supposing you're in gear), hit clutch, rev engine, shift and ease off of clutch so you dont jolt the transmission but the clutch still catches on a little to match revs. try it sometime

Yeah...thats the right way to do it.

...and how you used to do it sounds like you were breaking with the transmission which is a definate no no.

nope. your supposed to let go of the clutch then rev, then press the clutch in, then select the gear. hes revving while he has the clutch depressed.

that is double clutching, doesnt wear the synchros. Older cars HAD to double clutch to downshift cuz of no synchros

How the infamous heel-to-toe tec. What you do is hit brake with toe then use the heel on the right foot still and rev the engine to rev match and downshift a gear and if you do it right you should feel no jolt and be downshifted a gear in the high-rpm range great for takeing a corner plus the whole time you are on the brake. anyways just a thought

Originally posted by Calesta@Jul 21 2003, 03:25 PM
I call it "fat footing".

:bo: No shit, what do japaneese people have small feet or something???? :p

I just don't think pedals in a Civic are in the right position to heel-toe. Other cars might be, but none of mine are.

the pedals are so close I usually just press both pedals with either side of my foot. like brake with the left side, tap throttle with right side. Works pretty well, I can even usally do it with sandals on.

I'm guessing that this then applies to downshifting for more power as well. such as when you want to pass someone on a two lane road and don't have much time so you drop it down to [one gear lower] and zoom by

should you also be matching revs in this case? and does that absolutely require double clutching or can you bring the revs up while the clutch is in?

I should know this allready, but now that I have a decent engine I damn well better know it and use it.

I match revs when downshifting or cruising in neutral to a full accel situation. Puts less "whip" on the driveline, etc, which helps reduce wear. As a trade off however, it burns on your clutch.

Originally posted by dwn2low@Aug 1 2003, 01:29 PM
Always remember BRAKES are CEAPER than a CLUTCH LOL

exactly, what would you rather replace on a regular basis, brakes and rotors or engines and clutches? the choice is obvious. downshift as little as possible IMO.

Back