Alternatives to the F22A1?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

WishIhadAnR34

Hey guys, newbie here. I've been cruising forums everywhere on the net but nobody seems either interested or able to help me out.

I have a '91 Accord LX and the compression went out of the cylinders. I'm fine with this really because I'm more interested in swapping the block out versus trying to salvage the stock one that's in it.

What I want to know is which blocks are compatable with the CB7_5? Am I stuck with the F22A1? I've heard that I can go with the Prelude's H22 DOHC, but are those my only choices here?

If possible I'm looking to go with a 6cyl JDM VTEC, does anyone know if there's one that will fit? If not do you know what my options are here? My only sticking point is that I would really like to go with a V6. Any help would be greatly appreciated here!

Your chassis won't accept a V6 without a ton of modification.

Any of the F or H-series will bolt in relatively easily. The H22 will offer you the most power/torque, but you could also look into the F22B (DOHC non-VTEC from Japan) or an H23A1 (out of the USDM 4th-gen Ludes) as well.

I've found a guy with a clean working H22A 2.2L block that he wants around $1300 for, but would it be more worth it to look around for an H23A? Is there a significant power difference between the two?

I also plan to get a turbo kit for this as well, would either of these two blocks give me any trouble in that arena or is one as good as the other as far as that's concerend?

Thanks for the info!

h22 = vtec 200 hp
h23 = non vtec 160 horse
both DOHC

h22 92-96 is closed deck OBD1
h22 97-01 open deck, OBD2
closed deck>open deck for turbo

1300 for short block? or just the block, no head

2000-2200 = whole h22 swap with motor, trans and ecu

if you have the $$ get the swap, you want the h22 trans or you will fall from vtec between shifts

Wow, look what I found linked at the bottom in the Google ad bar!

http://www.ultimateresourceguides.com/h22swap-9093/index.php

Looks like a good deal to me. :)

Originally posted by WishIhadAnR34+Feb 11 2005, 03:26 PM-->
I also plan to get a turbo kit for this as well, would either of these two blocks give me any trouble in that arena or is one as good as the other as far as that's concerend?
[post=459689]Quoted post[/post]​

Get the H22. The H23 might give you a bit more torque because of its slightly larger displacement, but the high end breathing capabilities of the H22 are far more beneficial than the displacement advantage of the H23.

Originally posted by projectxspeed@Feb 11 2005, 03:43 PM
H22a > H23a I would pick up and swap in the h22a
[post=459703]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd:

reckedracing
@Feb 11 2005, 03:54 PM
h22 = vtec 200 hp
h23 = non vtec 160 horse
both DOHC

h22 92-96 is closed deck OBD1
h22 97-01 open deck, OBD2
closed deck>open deck for turbo

1300 for short block? or just the block, no head

2000-2200 = whole h22 swap with motor, trans and ecu

if you have the $$ get the swap, you want the h22 trans or you will fall from vtec between shifts
[post=459713]Quoted post[/post]​

A 96 engine should already be OBD2.

Short block = just the block without a head.

Closed deck is definitely better for boost, but the stock H22 can make 350whp easily (or more) on the open deck block.

First off thank you guys for all your help. But being a newbie I am full of questions.

My next question would be with the H22 does it matter what year model 'lude it comes from? would the 92-96 block be good enough for my application? If you don't wanna waste any more time on my newb questions I understand. I plan on obtaining a copy of the Ultimate H22A Swap Guide Book: 90-93 Accord that was linked by Calesta (THANKS!!). This should be able to point me in the right direction for getting exactly what I'm looking for.

Quoted post[/post]]
First off thank you guys for all your help. But being a newbie I am full of questions.

My next question would be with the H22 does it matter what year model 'lude it comes from? would the 92-96 block be good enough for my application? If you don't wanna waste any more time on my newb questions I understand. I plan on obtaining a copy of the Ultimate H22A Swap Guide Book: 90-93 Accord that was linked by Calesta (THANKS!!). This should be able to point me in the right direction for getting exactly what I'm looking for.
Anyone already got the H22A swap that might want to share it to me ?. If you do, I will be more than grateful. My email address is bycheah@gmail.com
I am doing research on doing the swap of my current Accord SOHC 2.2l to H22A.

Back