Alternator Removal/Replacement

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

|Chaz|

VIP
So I get everything unhooked on the alternator and go to try and slide it out... it doesn't come out. I tried turning it all sorts of ways. I read the manual, it said nothing about dropping anything else to get it to fit out. Am I just retarded? Should it come out without removal of anything? It's hitting on the axle and the exhaust. If those two things weren't in the way it'd come right out. Do I have to remove either of those to get the alternator out? Help me out guys.

Ahh crap, I won't be finishing this job tonight then. Why couldn't Honda have made it easier to remove? Do I have to take it out where it goes into the transmission at? Or just the wheel side?

yeah, im actually thinking the same thing as we speak. but ive always just dropped the side going to the trans.

I've never done that before... how hard of a job is that? Do I have to drain any fluid to do that?

just take it all the way out it will save you a headache lol, but naa it shouldn't leak enough fluid to worry

Hmm ok. I'm looking through my manual to find out how to do it. I figured getting the alternator out wouldn't be as easy as I first thought it would be.

yeah, its a bitch to do that just to get it out, ive done it prolly 20 times. even though its easier the more you do it its still a pain in the ass to drop the axle every time.

I wish I had a paperback manual... I really need to invest in one here soon. Going through a .pdf version of it without being able to use search or be able to skip straight to chapters is a pain in the ass.

Why does it have to be such a fucking pain in the ass to get out? My manual says to drain the transmission fluid...

yes drain the transmission fluid. The fill plug is higher than the differential. You will lose too much..

idk on my B16 I could get the alternator out without removing anything else if I wanted it seems.

yes that really suck i swapped a lsvtec in my crx and was in the same positiion good thing i had to switch out my mc and booster for a DA fucker slippped right out

Back