amp blowing fuses

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

well it is a true monoblock amp, and the subs are both 4 ohms and I have them wired in parallel, making it a 2 ohm load on the amp. And it has worked perfect since Mid January(so for like 3 months). If I could get the fuses to stay in and not pop, I could check the voltage and the gain setting. I tried turning the gain all the way down, and it still blew the fuses. Im going to try and disconnect the subs, to see if i can get it to stay on. If it does then its a problem with the sub wiring, and or subs. If not its either the amp, or power to the amp(which i checked and it looks visually good)
Ill let ya know
Thanks for all the info/help!!

and as for the cap, Ive blown 4 alternators in my integra b4 putting a cap in my car, and after I put the cap in, I havent had a single problem.
Ive got plenty of juice, my truck came with dual alternators from the factory!

Im going to try and disconnect the subs, to see if i can get it to stay on. If it does then its a problem with the sub wiring, and or subs. If not its either the amp, or power to the amp(which i checked and it looks visually good)

so any good word yet?

havent tried it yet. Ive been super busy with a national enduro dirtbike race that we had today....phew....
Ill try gettin round to that tommorow, right now Im about as tired as a tired person gets...

Ok, I removed the amp from my truck, and both subs, and brought them in the house. I hooked up the amp to a DC power supply(astron SS-18, which supplys 13.8V DC at 15A) Astron Corp and hooked it up to the playstation, and popped a cd in, and 2 new 15 amp fuses(all I have left)
I hooked the subs up bridged on the amp, and it works perfect. Not a single blown fuse.
Now, I know it must be something in the truck, but "what" is the question. Im going to go put everything back in the truck, and reconnect everything, and see if it works. Hopefully it does, but it isnt going to give me a single clue as to what was wrong.
I checked all of the wiring after I took it all out, and again, it all looks fine.

ok put everything back in my truck, and it works perfect. I have no idea what was wrong(which kinda gets to me) but it works.
thanks for all of your help anyway....

Ok wait a sec.....you said you bridged the amp in your last post. How do you bridge a TRUE monoblock amp which you claimed it was??

This is the point I was trying to make, if you had the amp bridged in your car that means you had it running at 1 ohm. If you didn't have it bridged in your car it doesn't make sense that when you tested it in your house you bridged it. So what I am guessing is, you had them wired in parallel to make them 2 ohms, then bridged the amp and dropped it to 1 ohm. Then when you took it out you probably wired them in series and made them 8ohm bridged them to the amp and they are now running at 4 ohms. OR you didn't bridge them when you hooked it back up this time and it is now working correctly because it is NOW running at 2 ohms. The last possibility is that this time you just ran each sub separate so you have each sub going to 1 channel, also causing them to run at 4 ohms. Also if you had them paralleled then you would only have 1 positive and one negative and if you didnt have it bridged you would only be utilizing 1 channel (one 1/2 of the amp) which also wouldnt make a lot of sense because this can cause trouble because it is putting a large load on one channel when you could split it between the whole amp. Nothing else could explain why it started working correctly. Electronics/wiring is a science right?? So unless you had mystical gremlins messing with your car this is the only explanation I can think of, if nothing else was changed.

So to summarize, bridging the amp cuts the ohm load in 1/2. Subs wired at two ohms bridged become 1 ohm. So you were running the amp at 1 ohm and it must not be 1 ohm stable. Perhaps it took a while to wear the amp down and make it start popping fuses. I think from your posts it is obvious this is what you were doing. I'm not trying to talk shit I'm just saying you must have not realized what you did but your posts kinda gave it away. Hope the set-up works great from now on bro!! :huh:

Back