Andrew's engine swap (pics)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Trading parts FTW! I wish a deal like that would come my way. Altough me and another member on here are working out a trade for my H22 head and a set of DSM blue-tops, turbo, and IC. I hope it goes through.

BEST VIDEO EVER MADE!!!
Man those SIR's looked so hawt...
==========================

Heres my stuff! (I was suprised at how crappy/HMT the Downpipe and charge pipes were. lol. OBVIOUSLY I"M NOT USING THEM!

The box:
IMG_9215.jpg

Whats in it:
IMG_9216.jpg

Welded plate
IMG_9218.jpg

Blurry, but you can see from this pic that it's a 14b (14 straight bladed compressor blades)
IMG_9219.jpg

lol
IMG_9221.jpg

lol
IMG_9222.jpg

LOL
IMG_9224.jpg

Next to another (normal) sized turbo. haha)
IMG_9229.jpg

BTW I picked up this kit for Terrance while I was in ATL.
IMG_9141.jpg

IMG_9143.jpg

IMG_9144.jpg

Both of 'em together:
IMG_9228.jpg

--------------
So basically I need to get my hands on a wastegate actuator.
Anybody know which ones work and don't work?

And, what should I do about the output (compressor) being so small? Is the piping that small on DSM's or what?!? 1.5" just won't do. I could just run a reducer-coupler but I mean,... geez... What should I do?

Tomorrow I'll start bolting crap up ^_^

Yep! We'll see who makes more powa.
Dang it man. As much as I want to start bolting the turbo up and stuff, it's kinda pointless right now, since I don't have the injectors and well... thats about it. aww hell I'll do it anyway.

Why wait??? Lets see pics of the turbo on the bid D!

I can assure you this weekend I'll be working on the intercooler piping and whatnot :)
^^^^^^^
I NEVER thought I would ever utter (or type) the above sentence. The whole turbo thing is so foreign...so different.. much like an asian chic wrestling a polar bear in a cotton candy swimming pool with oompa loompas cheering her on.

Well, maybe not... But you get the idea.

Last edited:
IMG_9245.jpg

"Hey, what the? Thats not your normal DC Sports header, Andrew! What gives?!"

Schwing!
IMG_9246.jpg

Oil line will be a sinch!
IMG_9256.jpg

Heres my main problem. I need to find a tight radius bend that will make this bend:
(2"- 2.5" dia. piping)
IMG_9260.jpg

(And no, I didn't do this to my radiator on the install. It's just from all of the engine swaps....)
IMG_9258.jpg

The thought of a piecut crossed my mind... What do you guys think would work here?

I've heard those lil thick radiators work a lil too well... yoru car cools off bigtime once you get rolling down the road.

And the problem with aftermarket radiators usually isn't leaks, it's fitment. I was thinking about going to a half radiator myself.

You can use that extra room to mount a fan to blow right on the turbo.. help keep it cool(er) and for it to cool down quicker when ure done playing.
------------
And that clear tubing stuff... I dunno. It woudl heat up bigtime from the turbo and expand, eventually busting ( so I would think).

There's a reason why you don't see that stuff on turbo builds too..... My .02.

I'm so freaking happy you've finally decided to do your turbo setup. This is going to be very, very schweet.

Last edited:
I've been doing a little research on the stuff. It's called Tigerflex- and It's good to 40psi!
Tigerflex® Hose - Global Technology & Engineering
http://www.plastixs.com/tigermain.html

The main question is (you nailed it Terrance) : Heat Limit

Pros:
weight
bend radius
cost
probably find it in Lowes
it's clear, so you can 'monitor' the condition of your oil seals in the turbo.
Cons:
heat limitations- after some more searching, it looks like it's mostly designed for ambient or cool temps. NOT heat. :thumbsdown:

Last edited:
i would NOT use that tigerflex shit,but maybe a piece of flexpipe???i dont know if its pressurable but id imagine so if you can use it on an exhaust

It's good to 40 psi, but I'm not going to use it because it doesn't handle heat.
I'm leaning more and more towards doing a piecut than anything else. IDK what else to do.

I dunno what you found, but this stuff is rated to 50BAR@25C and 15BAR@75C. I tested it with a gas-stove and a pressure-tester. It holds at least 50PSI at 100C.

Tigerflex is ribbed and uses wire to retain shape, this stuff is smooth and uses plastic. It's tough too, take a look at the "I cut my finger" thread, that's how I did it.

Andrew: check out your local auto parts store. Tell them you need a really big hose and they should be able to help you find a huge radiator hose from a truck that will work. Many people have used radiator hose in the past.

Back