Andrew's engine swap (pics)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I thought his video was a cool find. I seems like Renault was ahead of their time with that car and setup.
I'd LOVE to drive an open-wheeled car. *drool*
Thanks for posting it. And don't get upset over Terrance. We say "noob" like we eat food. (all the time, for no apparent reason :))

Update-
I'm welding some -10 bungs today. 2 on the valve cover for crankcase pressure and 1 on the oil pan for the drain line.
Also, if anyone can find me the part # to the Prelude nipple thing for the back of the engine I'd be much obliged. I need to order that too so I can continue setting up a catch can. Speaking of which, Terrance, we need to talk about welding me up a "box" can like the "big boys" on H-T. I can provide the -10 fittings if you can do the welding ;)

I'm also going to be torching/notching the bumper support and crossmember to clear the radiator and the FMIC. FYI the crossmember will be temporary until I can afford an aftermarket one.
And the bumper support- I want to get my hands on an HF support. I remember seeing them and they were tiny! apparently lots of T-EF owners do it. I wanna join the bandwagon.

edit:
Oh, and hey. I have an opportunity to pick up two (2) 1981/2 Civic Wagons (CVCC) for under $500.
Should I do it? Klyph, I'm probably going to pick your brain about the whole thing later. (like how hard it is to wire in a "modern" engine and such. I'm thinking of doing a stock D16Z6 swap into 1 of them (the 5spd one which happens to be in better shape anyway) and using the other as parts.
If you guys don't know what I'm talking about, it looks like this:
http://hotrod205.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/flashback-civicwagon83a.jpg

Last edited:
More cars for "Andrews Used Car Lot"...you should just start your own shop and specialize in engine swaps, any car any engine could be your slogan.

To the guy above, dont get so angry its just the internet. Most of the people here are cool and dont usually mean any harm.

I would totally do it. I think it would be cool to have something like this one day.

The first honda I ever drove was a late 70's cvcc...My friend had one and he was always too drunk to drive so I usually got to do the driving. Ah the good old days when a 15 year old kid in Oklahoma could drive anywhere he wanted without a license. Sorry didnt mean to thread jack with my memories.

Lots of pics. warning!
I mounted the Intercooler yesterday, but today I held up the Bumper support and mentally noted what needed to be done to make it right.
IMG_9284.jpg

IMG_9290.jpg

Next I dropped my oil pan and was thoroughly shocked by how clean it was under there. WOW. Just look! (I didn't clean at ALL before taking this pic.)
IMG_9297.jpg

IMG_9298.jpg

IMG_9302.jpg

IMG_9301.jpg

... I know right??? 8k miles = like new.

Anyway. Then I pulled the Valve Cover to put the vent fittings on.
IMG_9306.jpg

IMG_9307.jpg

Torched and welded a steel plate on the crossmember to clear the DP:
IMG_9314.jpg

Torched and welded the bumper support. Raised it about 3/4" to give the FMIC some room to breathe.
IMG_9316.jpg

After some paint:
IMG_9322.jpg

Test fit:
IMG_9320.jpg

Then my buddy Ryan stopped by:
IMG_9317.jpg

Ok. It's about to get ghetto in here. HMT FAUX LIFE!

Custom $8 downpipe from Advanced Auto! woot
IMG_9323.jpg

After some modification and welding (yes I actually welded it and then put JB weld on it to seal it(cause I was just using my crappy flux cored wire b/c I'm out of Argon))
IMG_9343.jpg

Then I JBWelded my fittings on:
IMG_9325.jpg

IMG_9341.jpg

IMG_9340.jpg

IMG_9330.jpg

And a couple for fun
IMG_9346-1.jpg

IMG_9347.jpg

^ Yeah I'll be cleaning it up a little. I'm just going to pull off the small strands here and there. I'm not going to grind the thicker stuff down.
You'll just have to wait and see how it looks. (I guess I will too. :))

I got my BlackTops calibrated and they are doing good- Dude was pretty cool and I only had to pay $20 instead of the normal $10/ea. price! woot.
IMG_9357.jpg

Cell phone pic sry:
one was "weak"
IMAGE_077.jpg

So we shot some air through it and it blew whatever it was that was blocking it out! right on the money!
IMAGE_079.jpg

Pulled my head off
IMG_9359.jpg

IMG_9364.jpg

IMG_9360.jpg

IMG_9363.jpg

Heres the porting job KMS did (not bad!)
IMG_9362.jpg

IMG_9361.jpg

Talk about piston to wall clearance! .011" :eek:
IMG_9365.jpg

New headgasket: (a little bigger :))
IMG_9367.jpg

IMG_9368.jpg

It doesn't really line up with the coolant holes on the block gaurd on 3 &4. Coolant can still pass through, but it's not a perfect opening. I used it anyway, but does anyone think this will present a problem?
IMG_9370.jpg

IMG_9372.jpg

IM gasket(want to get a Hondata type)
IMG_9373.jpg

DONE 1.5hrs. But I need my Torque Wrench from my buddy to get the 2nd stage of torquing in. (22 lbs is easy enough to use your 'calibrated arm' with. 49.... eh not so much)
IMG_9374.jpg

My buddy will hopefully have a wastegate actuator laying around in his shop.
If I can't get one, I won't be boosting! (literally... the flapper would just hang open and wouldn't boost crap... :)

Next I'll install my injectors and all of my piping (including downpipe)
then tuning. giggity.

-Andrew

Last edited:
It doesn't really line up with the coolant holes on the block gaurd on 3 &4. Coolant can still pass through, but it's not a perfect opening. I used it anyway, but does anyone think this will present a problem?

-Andrew

I would think it could possibly leave air in the system or be a nice place for gunk to build up. But with you I wouldn't think it bad. I mean.. doesn't your car only drive on the street a total of 5 times a year :D.

I would think it could possibly leave air in the system or be a nice place for gunk to build up. But with you I wouldn't think it bad. I mean.. doesn't your car only drive on the street a total of 5 times a year :D.

:p
When everything is on and functioning, I drive it almost once a day so maybe 3-5/week. If there was a rain cloud in the sky I'd take another vehicle. I'm going to be especially paranoid about rain getting into the inlet of the turbo. I'm probably just going to run a screen on it to keep babies arms out :)

:p
When everything is on and functioning, I drive it almost once a day so maybe 3-5/week. If there was a rain cloud in the sky I'd take another vehicle. I'm going to be especially paranoid about rain getting into the inlet of the turbo. I'm probably just going to run a screen on it to keep babies arms out :)

Haha, and for unlucky fingers ;x.

:p I'm going to be especially paranoid about rain getting into the inlet of the turbo. I'm probably just going to run a screen on it to keep babies arms out :)

You're not gonna run an air filter? Clarification has been officially requested.

Also, look at yoru spark plugs?
IMG_9363.jpg

The one looks white, the others are normal color. Is that because of the flash (hope so). If not, you've got a lil prob w/that cylinder.

No they're fine. It's just the flash. They are all Tan :thumbsup:

And I don't think I'm going to run a filter right now. I'll slap my K&N on there after a while. IDK. I just need to get it going first. Filters aren't very important since I don't drive a) daily and b) in the rain or c) on dirt roads (and no, my driveway doesnt count b/c I drive at 1 mph lol)

Oh! And lucky me! My friend's dad has a box full of BRAND NEW wastegates that he's giving to me. (idk about all of them but at least the one(s) i want. If theres anything worthwhile I'll snag 'em too and see if anyone on here needs one!

Last edited:
Is it made for that application, or are just making it fit. I hate when you buy things that are supposed to fit and they dont. Why didnt someone on the manufacturing end check things out first.

Back