Andrew's engine swap (pics)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Compression leakdown shows it blowing by the rings.
I talked to KMS and John is sending me a free set of piston rings this week.
I'm going to order some Vitara's and rod bearings from FJDistributors and do a Vitara setup with more boost(different turbo). Vitara pistons and a Zex 59300 cam. I've already got the valve train to handle it. And my bottom end is pretty solid. Looking to run a 50 trim turbo. something like a .48/.63 size w/ external wastegate obvously.

stay tuned, I guess!

Compression leakdown shows it blowing by the rings.
I talked to KMS and John is sending me a free set of piston rings this week.
I'm going to order some Vitara's and rod bearings from FJDistributors and do a Vitara setup with more boost(different turbo). Vitara pistons and a Zex 59300 cam. I've already got the valve train to handle it. And my bottom end is pretty solid. Looking to run a 50 trim turbo. something like a .48/.63 size w/ external wastegate obvously.

stay tuned, I guess!

Don't get vitaras. Please.

Vitara pistons are for garage/dyno queens and people who don't like (or know how) to tune. Their biggest strength is that they allow you to boost more, but there's no power before spool. You want a fun, drivable car, right? When will you make boost with a 50 trim? Compression off-boost is what makes a car easy to drive, when you lower your compression to make absolutely no power off-boost it's suddenly not so fun to drive.

If you're serious about this, think about staged turbos to give you at least some dynamic compression before the 50-trim spools.

I guess I hadn't thought of that. I'm going to run the #'s for compression with my setup and see what I come up with with some different setups.

damn..was it faulty rings or just improper breakin?

do you remember his 'break-in' ?

I think he took it for a few joy rides before it got tuned. But I don't remember exactly, so lemme look back.

EDIT:

https://hondaswap.com/auto-multi-media/andrews-engine-swap-pics-69736/20.html#post771375

https://hondaswap.com/auto-multi-media/andrews-engine-swap-pics-69736/20.html#post771812

It could have been a bad-break in. Judging from what's in the thread, it just needs a good hone/crosshatch and some new rings. Actually, if you have the stuff to check the round, I'd just crosshatch and put new rings in.

Last edited:
who knows, maine. I'm not worried about it. This gives me a good excuse to put "turbo savvy" pistons in there to give me a good compression... the RIGHT way. not using a thick headgasket.

Ran some #'s on Zeal...
Z6 pistons and headgasket will give me 9.85:1 compression ratio. Thats about perfect.

Now I need to find some Z6 pistons .020" OS. Honda makes them .025" OS. So... idk. I'll have to look around.

who knows, maine. I'm not worried about it. This gives me a good excuse to put "turbo savvy" pistons in there to give me a good compression... the RIGHT way. not using a thick headgasket.

Ran some #'s on Zeal...
Z6 pistons and headgasket will give me 9.85:1 compression ratio. Thats about perfect.

Now I need to find some Z6 pistons .020" OS. Honda makes them .025" OS. So... idk. I'll have to look around.

Yeah, 9.8:1 is about perfect for a small turbo engine. It makes me sad every time I see that people go with 9.8:1, because my engine is 9.8 stock.

Might want to look at aftermarket. But if you go that route, go forged with H-beam rods. Rebuilding gives you a good excuse to inspect everything, and spec it all out to check for wear too.

You should get aftermarket pistons, because of the heat. You dont want them to go bad from overheating.

I dont know how I feel about forged pistons anymore. I don't think they are necessary. I do not want to hear them slapping around left and right like this motor does. I think a regular set of pistons will do just fine since I don't forsee this engine seeing more than 300whp.

what do you mean slapping around. As in they dont fit properly. Plus I think it has a lot to do with the amount of boost (psi) as much as it does the amount of whp. Here is an excerpt from a book that I have that talks about it.

crxturbo1.jpg

crxturbo2.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah. forged pistons make 4cyl's sound like diesels. unless it's bored correctly... Mine had .011" of piston/wall clearance, to account for the "growth" of the piston as it warms up. but thats a little excessive.

I'm thinking I might need to step up to a .040" OS bore (76mm) due to that reason. Only time will tell when I tear it down...

do you remember his 'break-in' ?

I think he took it for a few joy rides before it got tuned. But I don't remember exactly, so lemme look back.
It could have been a bad-break in.

I don't think it was the break in at all. I think KMS did a pathetic job on the build and should have sent some KY Jelly with the engine and the bill.

It's alright.. I'm sure Andrew will come up with an excellent idea that will get his car up N running in no time.

I don't think it was the break in at all. I think KMS did a pathetic job on the build and should have sent some KY Jelly with the engine and the bill.

True. True.

After the way they shipped his engine I'd never trust any of their work...

^ no joke man. I cringe everytime I think of it. But, in their defense (omg what am I saying?) the headwork is great. port n polish is spot on, very professionally done. but thats about the only good thing I'm pulling away from this situation. :thumbsdown: all the way around for them.

However they get a :thumbsup: from me right now for sending me a full set of rings just because I called and complained about the engine to 'em! woot...

I wish there was something more that could be done. This is absolutely so pathetic. Man, imagine the B series that could have been built ( I knwo thats yoru dads fault).

<sighs>

What are you ever going to do?
-----------------------------------
On a side note, Andrew, I just got off the phone with my painter. I'm meeting him tonight to drop my car off!!!!! I'm so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We gotta get the "upgrades" to the D done so we can cruise!!

Last edited:
You guys are so upset about this whole thing. I don't have any bad feelings about it. Actually, I feel GREAT about it! I wasn't very comfortable running the setup I had. Cheap BOV, WG was a little too high PSI for what I wanted, charge piping was iffy (cold side)
This gives me time to make it right.

I hope to have the CRX running asap, Terrance. But with rebuilding the D16 and all, idk how long that will be ;)

True... But we were SOOOOOO close to gettin your Rex goin man! It's NEVER gonan run! Should have just stuck with the B series in it.

**Edit** I won't bump your thread with my stuff... But you know I gots ta stick my freshly painted baby in here!
DSCN4613.jpg

DSCN4633.jpg

DSCN4614.jpg

DSCN4636.jpg

And this covers the overspray in the front :)
DSCN4600-1.jpg

Now, you guys talk Andrew into getting his car sprayed! Cost $250.00 :)

DSCN4832.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah. forged pistons make 4cyl's sound like diesels. unless it's bored correctly... Mine had .011" of piston/wall clearance, to account for the "growth" of the piston as it warms up. but thats a little excessive.

I'm thinking I might need to step up to a .040" OS bore (76mm) due to that reason. Only time will tell when I tear it down...

I would look into CP pistons for your rebuild.

From what I have heard, they swell far less. Maybe that would help to eliminate the problem you are talking about?

Unless of course you already had them, then I would be wrong again :p

Back