Andrew's engine swap (pics)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Calesta: Thanks man!

Abel: I'm sorry man, the guy who's buying the car (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) wants the wheels to come with the car. (And the OEM's, too)
I'm meeting him at the bank tomorrow at 2pm. It's a dealership up in North Carolina thats sending a guy down to buy this thing sight-unseen (except for the pictures on Craigslist of course!) How crazy is that?

Anyway, I bought those wheels for like $180. I'm sure you can (and I'll start looking around) find some wheels for cheap, too.

I'll have to come see you up there some time. Been a while, cuz!
Matt: The cost. Plus the ACL's (normal style, NOT the "race" version<-- I've heard that they do not have a very long life.) seem to be pretty 'proven.' I haven't really heard of anyone (however I haven't really searched...) having trouble with them, and it's probably one of the most common bearing choice of all builds.

I looked it all up last night:
The ACL's are around $75 INCLUDING the pistons rings.
The OEM bearings are $75.52 and rings are $112.04, totalling $187.56.

I know, it would last longer with OEM's, but as far as I can tell, and please tell me otherwise if I'm wrong, the ACL's seem to hold up just fine. (Obviously not as long as OEM's, but whatever)

--------------------------------------------------------
On topic:
--------------------------------------------------------
I've got the Volvo TD05HL-15G disassembled and cleaned. The WG and BOV are 'in paint.' BTW, this will be a pretty unique turbo setup. The BOV is integrated into the compessor housing, so NO, I won't have a cool PSHHHHH when I shift, unless I block it off. However, it will be very stealthy... (Nix the FMIC :D)
Pics laterz!

Edit. Pics now:

You can see the integral mounting plate for the BOV:
(And yes, I think I'll be able to reuse the custom piece!)
IMAGE_455.jpg

BOV & WG
IMAGE_454.jpg

Turbine housing:
(*talked about below)
IMAGE_457.jpg

Cartridge:
(Yes, I plan on trying to run water to it. I've never done it before... Need to research H20 supply/drain)
IMAGE_456.jpg

Should reassemble it this week. Just want to get past the car selling stuff as well as have a chance to mock it all up and know for sure how it needs to be clocked. (Snap rings are a PITA when it's in the Engine bay...)

* Turbine Housing.
As you can see, the flange looks a little different. It's actually a T3 bolt pattern (great!), but the wide opening causes major leaks with regular T3 flanges... I'm going to have to figure something out. My options are:
1. by welding, fill in the excess opening and smooth out the edges
2. use a piece of 3/8" steel and create an adapter flange to 'funnel' the gases into a normal, rectangular T3 shape
3. spend $35 on an adapter flange. lol. <- emphasis on the lol.

We'll see what works best :)
Toodles............

Last edited:
ohhh, for some reason i thought you said ACL race bearings
i havent heard anything good coming from the race bearings
but as far as regular ACL's, a buddy of mine has an LS-VTEC turbo setup and hes running acls with no problems

yeah obviously oem is a better choice but that is quite a price difference and i dont see that being worth the difference in longevity

AWP you... man, you. :D

Hows your 'vic running anyway? I haven't checked your build out in a while!?

I'm sorry to hear that, man. Can't always get projects finished, I know that feeling! Just have fun with whatever ride you're in and don't sweat the small stuff :)

Hopefully Andrew will be ordering parts for the rebuild soon. Were planning on doin the rebuild in a weekend (Fri-Sun). That should be very doable if we don't run into problems.

Which, there WILL be problems.

He got in a nifty go fast turbo boost JDM y0! awesome part over the weekend that he got a good deal on. I'll let him update with that.

I'm wondering when the boost will start to fall off, since that turbo wasn't built to rev to 8k.

Yeah as Terrance says, I ordered a nifty-go-fast-turbo-boost-JDM-y0! part: A "Sport JDM" FMU. It was used in new condition (never used, no fuel smell so I assume it's legit. lol) for like $40 shipped, So I went for it.

Just a standard thing...
IMAGE_461.jpg

And I put the turbine housing up to the manifold (Terrance's old cast one.)
I think I'm going to just weld it on there. (Sounds ghetto, but it will save me money in the long run. Plus this manifold is about dead. It's got a crack that was rewelded, but has cracked again. It's not leaking, but it's only a matter of time...
IMAGE_464.jpg

I should be able to order those parts next week or so.
-Andrew

Ok, So I thought I was going to be able to run my nifty "bendy tube" but thats not gonna happen. Why? Because of the Wastegate. I cannot clock the turbo around (180*) and use it like I'd like to... so I'll have to make do.

Oh, and a quick note: I think I'm going to weld the turbo to the manifold. :)
Instead of making an adapter plate, boring out each mounting hole to accept the larger manifold threads, and finding/making new gaskets for the adapter... I think it'll be easier this way. This manifold is pretty old and beaten up anyway, plus it was free, so who cares?

Heres some progress I made tonight. I'm sorry for the cell phone pictures!
Got the turbo assembled and the oil drain cleaned/installed:
IMAGE_465.jpg

IMAGE_467.jpg

IMAGE_468.jpg

Looked at what the manifold will look like:
IMAGE_469.jpg

IMAGE_473.jpg

I like how it doesn't go back or forward either direction. It's pretty much straight down. (Parallel with the cylinders)
IMAGE_471.jpg

IMAGE_474.jpg

And finally, heres a couple shots with the factory downpipe cut, and ready to be fabbed when it's in the car.
IMAGE_477.jpg

IMAGE_478.jpg

That's all for now. One of these days I will get the Rex in the shop and do some test fitting. I wonder how it'll look???? We'll see.
-Andrew

Last edited:
whoa whoa WHOA! I hope I don't end up needing that manifold mang. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to keep and use my Ram Horn.. But you sure you wanna do that? It means you can NEVER use that manifold with another turbo. What happens if the seal blows or some other random crap happens to the turbo?

I say bad idea mang.. Just thinkin ahead, long term. That turbo may not be good for that GSR anyway. I mean, what fun will it be if it starts pooping out at 6k?

Why not find an HF manifold and weld it to that?

Edit: wait is this a B-series?

I'm gonna get to he scrap yard tomorrow.. Hopefully I can pick up a piece of steel for an adapter plate. I really don't wanna see that manifold welded to a turbo, especially a dinky one like that :p

We'll get it worked out man.

OH, while I"m thinkin abotu it... Andrew, you said you wanted tochange the luctch? There's a place in Tally that builds clutches. Better than OEM. Dudes been doin it all his life. American clutch and rebuilders. They are in Tally.

You may wanna check there and see what you can get a clutch for. Maybe you can get a deal?

See if they'll build a Fit clutch. Needs to hold 400ft/lb. kthx, :p

I called him, but never got a change to go check it out in person and talk it over.
He did say they can do pretty much anything, though. Upgrades, OEM, etc.

Back