Andrew's engine swap (pics)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Screw the K. Go J.

not balling like that :(

It will take some time but in a nutshell the goal is for a full K20A swap including the LSD tranny. for $1,200 more I thinks it's well worth it considering it's a better motor too.

I still have to pay for the CRX first! no use in dreaming just yet.

why?

I'm still tossing up the ideas of what K to go with but I can't see myself saving any more money and making more power than a K.....

I'm going all motor by the way.

pretty soon i'll have my own thread. :)

I guess this thread will end when you take pictures of me taking it to my place.

I'll make sure to start my own thread. :)

why you crying? you should have your motor back soon!

I couldn't sleep last night knowing the long road ahead for this CRX.
My goal is to make this is a stock and sleeper looking as possible.

Complete interior and all exterior redone with new paint and such.

The dillema is the motor. I really enjoyed the power my last motor made and thought it was sufficient. The K motor is of course the new age and would love to have it in there to combine the new with the old.

B series will be better than my last LSV of (190ish HP) of course. Since this ins't going to be my DD I can pretty much delete the A/C, power steering, and get some stage 3 cams and higher compression.

A K would be badass and not have to open it to get the power. It would just require more fabbing and money of course. Mounts,K-pro or reflash, custom crap.

This is my dilemma. Right now I'm leaning toward a nasty all-motor B series simply because of the availble parts for cheap. huh. we shall see!

Speaking of planes... I got a new job (I think. I should know for sure in the next day or so, but it's like 99% sure!)! Working on these (CRJ 200's and 700's) at a MRO in Ft. Walton Beach, here in FL (About 2 hours from where I am now.)
Cool!

images

FINALLY get to use my A & P License! w00t!

Last edited:
Thanks Abel. Btw, I'll be pulling the motor saturday around 4 if you wanna come!

And here's my new truck guys!
Dodge 2500 turbo diesel.
4" turbo back straight pipe
Tuned fuel system
Waste vege oil system (free fuel!)
And many other extras.

DSCN0030.jpg

DSCN0032.jpg

DSCN0035.jpg

DSCN0038.jpg

DSCN0041.jpg

DSCN0045.jpg

Why did I buy a truck? Or a diesel for that matter? Because we bought a 40' travel trailer to live in for a while! Keeping it simple, low debt, and save as much as we can. We just finished with the bank-work, so we should be picking it up either later this week or early next!

Pics to come.

Life is exciting. I'm at the point where big changes start taking place! Moving, new job, wife, etc. Just more responsibility in general. I love it!

why you crying? you should have your motor back soon!

I couldn't sleep last night knowing the long road ahead for this CRX.
My goal is to make this is a stock and sleeper looking as possible.

Complete interior and all exterior redone with new paint and such.

The dillema is the motor. I really enjoyed the power my last motor made and thought it was sufficient. The K motor is of course the new age and would love to have it in there to combine the new with the old.

B series will be better than my last LSV of (190ish HP) of course. Since this ins't going to be my DD I can pretty much delete the A/C, power steering, and get some stage 3 cams and higher compression.

A K would be badass and not have to open it to get the power. It would just require more fabbing and money of course. Mounts,K-pro or reflash, custom crap.

This is my dilemma. Right now I'm leaning toward a nasty all-motor B series simply because of the availble parts for cheap. huh. we shall see!

Sad because I like the Rex and want it for myself.

Dibs on the wheels if you decide to change. I'd like to have my old fat fives back :) I even have some 15's I'd trade! They come with tires, just need to be put on (205/50's).
-----------

My .02 on your build is to forget the K swap (would be nice to have though) but stick with what ya know (which is the B) and boost it. By the time you pieced together a nice lil turbo kit and decently built a B to handle some power, you'd be at the cost of a stock K swap.

Heck, just find a B, throw new rings/bearings in it and boost away. Cheap + you'd make power and if you kept it reasonable it would be reliable.

Yeah I'l let you know when I swap wheels. I should be able to pick the car up after work Saturday. You mind lending me the trailer and truck or should I ask my dad?

You know Pedro (S10) can't tow anything. :lol:

Andrew congrats again on your success and wish you best of luck!My old LSV started like that. Peiced together and it ended up blowing on the dyno.

granted it was old and held it's own for many years. If I can help it andhave the money I'd rather do a full rotating assembly just to have that piece of mind.

When my last LSV blew up I didn't even feel that bad because for the simple fact that I was theone responsible. And I got more than my money's worth when I sold it. :)

second the idea of a boosted b

everyone has one, but hardly anyone has a reliably built one making decent power. mine has surprised the hell out of me..

im happy to see this rex going to a good home though :)

thanks. I've seen this car change in many ways.

I've always wanted it and now have the chance and the money to do things right.
I'm pumped about this Saturday!

If I go boost I go big. PERIOD. no use in spending the money if I can't get 450-550.
Then again loss of traction sucks. (thanks jeffie and others for pointeing it out)

I love the way the throttle response feels on an allmotor setup. Especially for a street car which mine will be

I was reasearching about my first dream build.
12.5 high comp 86mm; stage 3 cammed; motor with ITB's and open diff. tranny....aaghhhhhh i just jizzzed. :(

all tucked inside an GSR block.
by the way....Calesta you still have the block :lol:

Last edited:
my suggestion to you is this:

GSR bottom
somewhere around 10.5:1 CR
sleeved if you so choose (i probably would shooting for 450-550hp with moderately high compression)
stock bore
stock head with an intake manifold and port match

60-1 with a small A/R exhaust housing to help spool time even more

tune tune tune and youll have a setup that isnt a turd out of boost.

ps.. 320whp + traction = a blast
get an mfactory lsd and good tires.. you wont regret it

Back