Andrew's engine swap (pics)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Guys, tell Andrew he would be very sorry if he sold the Rex. He would miss it and end up buying another one.

Insurance costs $50.00 a month (which is kinda high, more than what I pay).

If nothing else, I'd get my GSR engine back :D

Ok, Im not selling the Rex anytime soon...
New plan:
I dyed the carpet today. Black. Looks great!!!
Gotta put that in, finish installing the a/c, so it looks and feels nice and comfy in this heat...
I put the pistons back in the 75.5mm z6 block with new rings, and am curious to see if it works... Lol! Cyl #4 had hit marks from the rod... Just that one cylinder... Weird... Nothing is bent, so we'll see. Bearings looked fine, so I just put some ass. Lube (hehe nice abbreviation) on it and put em in. All except for cyl #2, which needs a replacement rod nut, because I lost it. Huh.

Pics soon! Forgot the camera, just had my phone...

-Andrew

You wanted to know my turbo set-up, so here it is........

B16a2 block
eagle rods
JE 9;1 pistons

B16a2 head
RC 750 injectors
GS-R camshafts
skunk2 cam sprokets (at zero)
DH-Racing valves, springs, and retainers.
Stock throttle and intake.

Turbo
garrett 57 trim, 63a/r oil cooled turbo
AFI ramhorn manifold,
tial 38 wastegete and blowoff valve
3 inch piping
Not sure on the intercooler size, I do know its a 2 inch inlet and outlet.

HP is 327 and TQ is 252 at 14 pounds, 93 octane

12.8 at the track spinning the whole time.

[DIY] seat pan swap

A long while back I purchased this JDM CRX seat (compared with my driver's side that had the 'all too common' rip on the bolster):

DSCN0269.jpg

I finally got around to installing it, but first the pan needed to be changed, so here's how I did it:

Tools needed:
-Dikes
-Pliers
-Replacement hog rings OR standard heavy duty wire
-14mm socket
-19mm wrench/socket
-Phillips screwdriver

Get your seats-
DSC03259.jpg

Flip it over and see the reason for the pan swap. The bolt holes are different, therefore it won't work in our floorpans. or at least mine!
USDM Seat:
DSC03260.jpg

JDM seat:
DSC03263.jpg

Cut the hog rings-
DSC03264.jpg

With your Phillips screwdriver, pull the side cover off.
Use the 14mm socket to pull the 2 bolts off this side of the seat.
There is a 19mm bolt on the opposite side of the seat, remove that too. (no pic, sorry.)
DSC03265.jpg

It'll come right out with a little motivation:
DSC03266.jpg

Notice how the JDM seat (Left) is square, and the USDM (other left) tapers at the back. Gotta cut the seat foam a little bit to make it work:
DSC03268.jpg

Mark it:
DSC03269.jpg

Cut it. Carefully...
DSC03270.jpg

It ain't pretty, but it works.
DSC03271.jpg

USDM pan installed onto JDM seat bottom:
DSC03272.jpg

Use new hog-rings or utility wire and slip it through the holes.
DSC03273.jpg

Tighten them down:
DSC03274.jpg

DSC03275.jpg

Trim the excess:
DSC03276.jpg

DSC03277.jpg

I needed to cut a little bit to make this track mounting bolt:
DSC03278.jpg

Finished!
DSC03279.jpg

Car is cluttered, moving parts from 1 place to another... but you get the idea:
DSC03283.jpg

Not so bad! I've never done it before, and it took about 30 min to do it all.

Also, I recently dyed my carpet. Used DupliColor's Vinyl and Fabric (Gloss Black) and after vacuuming it like 3 times (out of the car, of course...), I went ahead and just sprayed it. It took 1.5 cans to do the job. Great stuff!!

Old pic: (Before)
DSCN0957.jpg

Dyed:
DSC03254.jpg

In car (still installing interior...):
DSC03281.jpg

-Andrew

Ha! thanks. I'm back! lol... :)

I need a new steering wheel, the foam is coming out in this eBay cheapo. At least it lasted for a couple years... does anyone have a one for sale?? Stock or otherwise... Thanks!

Ha! thanks. I'm back! lol... :)

I need a new steering wheel, the foam is coming out in this eBay cheapo. At least it lasted for a couple years... does anyone have a one for sale?? Stock or otherwise... Thanks!

i have a black eg wheel?

You guys aren't going to like this... but I've decided to sell the CRX!
I know that seems sudden, but here's what's happened. The wife and I are getting a travel trailer and need something to pull it with. Hence, I'm buying a truck. A '96 Dodge 2500 Cummins from a friend of mine. It's got full bolt-ons and a Waste Vegetable Oil auxiliary fuel setup and low miles (130k), at a good price. It kinda sucks to get out of the Honda game, but it's just not practical for me right now in my current life situation. Gotta move on!

I'm going to get some good photos of the CRX before it sells. In fact, it'll be about a month or two before it's ready to put on the market. I need to swap motors (back to D-series) and get the AC back together. Put a new front bumper on, and get it painted. I want to get it as clean as I possibly can in order to get 'top dollar' for it.

Would you guys recommend a cleaned up stock Z6 swap? That was my intention. Unless someone has a better idea...

Me personally I would just clean it up. Put the D and sell the B in order to maximize your profit. Obviously put all the interior back. :) Painting it won't help as much as you think. well, depending on how much you spend :lol:

I'll take it with a D series. Let me know so I can save my monies now. You know I've always wanted it.

Ok, SOLD to Abel, for one hundred million dollars! :D

Interior is done. well, cept for the climate control unit and trunk 'plate' under the carpet. I'll fab something up soon. The factory piece is just too flimsy to be worth using.

yup. I've seen this and droolede over this crx for awhile now.

I just skimmed through this whole thread and WOW.

you and this CRX have gone through alot. I'll make sure to take care of it for you. :)

by the way, would you mind sending me a small ( or long) list of what you will be coming with the car and what you will take off? suspension, interior, wheels. I just want to know since afterall, this CRX has never looked the same for less than a year at a time.:p

8-3
Ok, Im not selling the Rex anytime soon...
-Andrew

8-28
You guys aren't going to like this... but I've decided to sell the CRX!

<sighs>

For what it's worth, I'm happy it's going to Abel. I wanted the Rex to have a good home and I think it'll get it.

I'm heartbroken though. It's not even a money issue, my wife won't let me own 3 vehicles or else I'd buy it. But I can't get rid of my Del Sol, it's too comfy of a ride and the Rex is kind harsh.

Sad Terrance.

At least I get my B18C back! Rebuild time!!!

thanks. :p

You guys just let me know when you get the motor out. I should have everything settled on my end soon.

I just happend to spring this on Mrs. Taco right when the bills are due. :(
Subaru pays me at the end of this week so I should be gravy.

My K swap dream may come true afterall!

OMG please let me drive a K-RX. Wow. Can't even imagine it!

I'll post pics of my new ride I picked up as soon as I take some!

Back