Another Computer Question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

yes, hdd to hdd transfer will be slower, but cd -> hdd will be optimized. and if you put stuff where it shoudl in the first place, you won't be doing too much hdd moving :)

Originally posted by randerson165@Dec 24 2003, 03:55 AM
i have both my hard drive and cdrom hooked up to my secondary

when i was installing xp on my system, it couldn't find my hard drive on the first ide port, so i just unplugged it and moved it to the secondary, worked fine and so i never have bothered to put it on the first one again

have you tried checking the jumpers? had this problem also; the jumpers happend to be set on secondary and i was trying to use it as a primary. had to flip the ribbon cables all crazy so i can hook up the hd's and cdrom drives right(to use as secondary). didnt find out till about 7 months later.

i only have one ide cable at the moment so I can't use both 1 & 2 ide ports. what do you think will happen if I just unplug from 2 and plug into 1 ? will that mess things up ? I really don't want to reformat, but I will if I have to. I only get the restart about once every few days and only really when I'm playing a game.

The whole thing about slowing down hard drives by putting a cdrom on the same channel isnt true anymore. All modern IDE controllers have independent timing registers for the two devices that can be plugged into each IDE channel, which means that putting drives with different maximum speed modes on the one cable won't restrict the faster device to the slower one's best transfer mode. That used to be the case, and many people still think it is, but not anymore. When the slower device on a modern controller is doing a transfer the faster device will have to wait, but that's as bad as it gets. So your drive shouldn't be held back by some other device on the cable, if there is one.

Originally posted by DarkHand@Dec 24 2003, 12:32 PM
The whole thing about slowing down hard drives by putting a cdrom on the same channel isnt true anymore. All modern IDE controllers have independent timing registers for the two devices that can be plugged into each IDE channel, which means that putting drives with different maximum speed modes on the one cable won't restrict the faster device to the slower one's best transfer mode. That used to be the case, and many people still think it is, but not anymore. When the slower device on a modern controller is doing a transfer the faster device will have to wait, but that's as bad as it gets. So your drive shouldn't be held back by some other device on the cable, if there is one.

can you give us an estimate on the date they started doing this?

Back