Any professional installers here?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tab

Super Moderator
I'd like a wiring guide, and any advice you have for installing a remote start in a GM, with the transponder key and antitheft.

PM me please.

Or, go ahead and reply in this thread, it doesn't matter. I've installed a clifford system with remote start three times, including the bypass module. I have wiring guides for Honda, not GM.

Since I have antitheft, and my truck is staying stock, a simple remote start is fine by me. I don't need an integrated alarm, although it doesn't matter. The less work, the better. Is this hard, and how involved is it?

12volts
red & red/white
+
ignition harness

Starter yellow + ignition harness
Second Starter N/A
Ignition pink + ignition harness
Second Ignition white + ignition harness
Third Ignition N/A
Accessory orange + ignition harness
Second Accessory brown + ignition harness
Keysense lt. green - ignition harness
Power Lock use Directed module 457GW
Power Unlock see power lock
Lock Motor gray driver door module in door
Unlock Motor tan driver door module in door
Parking Lights+ brown + driver kick panel
Parking Lights- gray/black - switch or BCM, brown plug, pin B2
Hazards white - steering column
Turn Signal(L) green + steering column
Turn Signal® lt. green + steering column
Reverse Light lt. green + BCM, black plug, pin F
Door Trigger see notes - see notes
Dome Supervision gray/black + BCM, black plug, pin E
Trunk/Hatch Pin N/A
Hood Pin N/A
Trunk/Hatch Release N/A
Power Sliding Door N/A
Factory Alarm Arm arms with lock
Factory Alarm Disarm lt. green - driver door module in door
Disarm No Unlock see factory alarm disarm
Tachometer white ac instrument cluster or PCM
Wait to start N/A
Brake Wire white + brake pedal switch
Parking Brake lt. blue - switch or BCM, lt. blu plug, pin A7
Horn Trigger black/yellow to black - column or BCM, gray plug, pin B9
Memory Seat 1 red + driver door module in door
Memory Seat 2 pink + driver door module in door
Memory Seat 3 N/A +

Interface Modules

thanks man. That looks like most of the wires I need to know.

So according to that list, I don't need to integrate the two together as much as I thought. When a remote start alarm locks the doors, the stock alarm would arm also. Unlock=disarm. Simple enough.

Now how hard is it to bypass the key on a Chevy?

DEI 555L on Ebay
how about this one Mike?

I've use similar products in the past. Besides the immobilizer, is there anything out of the ordinary on a GM?

I've got two different wiring guides now, so I feel confident that I can accomplish the job easily if there are no surprises.

you can use the 555l but all that will do is bypass the passlock. that car needs an interface to control the door locks and the facroey alarm. those wires run on what is called databus and cannot be tied in with regular voltage output from the remote starter. so in theory you can use it but will not be able to have full function of the remote starter system. now if you get the one i sent you a link to it will do all of those functions for you. here is the wire diagram i use:

DIRECTWIRE™ WIRING INFORMATION - CHEVROLET / AVALANCHE / 2003 / Remote Start

[PRINT THIS PAGE]

12volts red & red/white + ignition harness
Starter yellow + ignition harness
Second Starter N/A
Ignition pink + ignition harness
Second Ignition white + ignition harness
Notes: To avoid the check engine light from coming on and possible damage to the automatic transmission, the second ignition in this vehicle MUST be powered when adding a remote start system.
Third Ignition N/A
Accessory orange + ignition harness
Second Accessory brown + ignition harness
Keysense lt. green - ignition harness
Power Lock use Directed module 457GW
Notes: If Directed module 457GW is not available, refer to DirectFax document 1601.
Power Unlock see power lock
Lock Motor gray driver door module in door
Unlock Motor tan driver door module in door
Parking Lights+ brown + driver kick panel
Parking Lights- gray/black - switch or BCM, brown plug, pin B2
Notes: The BCM (Body Control Module) is under the driver side dash. It has 6 plugs in it, the purple plug is on the back.
Hazards white - steering column
Turn Signal(L) green + steering column
Turn Signal® lt. green + steering column
Reverse Light lt. green + BCM, black plug, pin F
Notes: The BCM (Body Control Module) is under the driver side dash. It has 6 plugs in it, the purple plug is on the back.
Door Trigger see notes - see notes
Notes: The driver door trigger is gray/black at the driver door module in the door. The RF door trigger is black/white at the passenger door module in the door. The LR door trigger is lt. blue/black, pin A3, and the RR is lt. green/black, pin A2, they are in the purple plug at the BCM. Use all four wires and diode isolate each.

The BCM (Body Control Module) is under the driver side dash. It has 6 plugs in it, the purple plug is on the back.
Dome Supervision gray/black + BCM, black plug, pin E
Trunk/Hatch Pin N/A
Hood Pin N/A
Trunk/Hatch Release N/A
Power Sliding Door N/A
Factory Alarm Arm arms with lock
Factory Alarm Disarm lt. green - driver door module in door
Disarm No Unlock see factory alarm disarm
Tachometer white ac instrument cluster or PCM
Notes: The PCM (Powertrain Control Module) is in the left front of the engine compartment to the left of the fan shroud. The tach wire is in the green plug, pin 10.

For tach can also go to any of the ignition coils or injectors and use the wire that is NOT pink, black, or brown.
Wait to start N/A
Brake Wire white + brake pedal switch
Parking Brake lt. blue - switch or BCM, lt. blu plug, pin A7
Horn Trigger black/yellow to black - column or BCM, gray plug, pin B9
Memory Seat 1 red + driver door module in door
Memory Seat 2 pink + driver door module in door
Memory Seat 3 N/A +
Interface Module: Category:
Immobilizer Bypass Required:
Yes Type:
Passlock II
Part #: 556LW
Alternate Part1 #: 555LW
Alternate Part2 #: DesignTech 20402
Alternate Part3 #: DesignTech 29402
Notes: Not required if using the combo interface module. The Passlock II wire colors are yellow, black (org/blk), and red/white (not used).
Interface Module: Category:
Combo Interface Required:
Yes Type:
Data Bus
Part #: 457GW
Notes:

warning
This wiring information is being provided free of charge on an "as is" basis, without any representation or warranty. It is your responsibility to verify any circuit before interfacing with it using a digital multimeter.
Directed electronics, Inc. assumes no responsibility with regards to the accuracy or currency of this information. Proper installation in every case is and remains the responsibility of the installer. DEI assumes no liability or responsibility resulting from improper installation, even in reliance upon this information.

wow mike thats straight from dei!!! use that info tab i cant get the dei info anymore i dont work for a dei dealer now :cry:

Awesome Mike!!!!

I hate the fact that DEI doesn't allow people to download the guides anymore.

Thanks a bunch. So if I were to use an alarm that has factory arm disarm wires, with remote start, could I still use the 555l? I'll use the one that you posted if it is better.

not a problem guys any time you need info pm me and i will help ya out

as far as using the arm and disarm wires you cant because the wires coming out of the remote start work with voltage and the wires in the car itself work on a databus system. to interface the door locks and factory alarm you need the dei piece i linked you to.

457G it is.

Now I need to decide which alarm to get. Any suggestions? I've used the Clifford Matrix RS3.5 on my car, and the Avital Avistart 4300 on my GF's 2004 Civic. They were wired the same as far as wire colors went.

I like the Matrix, but the remotes are expensive, don't last long, and they burn a lot of batteries. Is there a simpler/cheaper remote that will beep when the car starts? I like the two way action, but hate the cost of the remotes. I went through 3 remotes in two years.

Quoted post[/post]]
457G it is.

Now I need to decide which alarm to get. Any suggestions? I've used the Clifford Matrix RS3.5 on my car, and the Avital Avistart 4300 on my GF's 2004 Civic. They were wired the same as far as wire colors went.

I like the Matrix, but the remotes are expensive, don't last long, and they burn a lot of batteries. Is there a simpler/cheaper remote that will beep when the car starts? I like the two way action, but hate the cost of the remotes. I went through 3 remotes in two years.

pretty much any two way remote will eat batteries, i dont know of any that last for more than a month. the only one that i know of that has the two way feature without a screen is the viper 571. it has the feature to let you know when somthin is goin on but doesnt have the screen that is always on to eat the batteries up.

Thanks Mike. I think I will use a very simple remote start system. If the truck doesn't start, fuck it, I'll live. I'll look outside if it's freezing.

I went to cartoys. I don't like them, but I thought I'd give them a chance. Remote start, 179 bucks. OK. I figure a $100 install, maybe a few bucks more for the 457G. Nope. Like $400 plus tax.

I've installed alarms. I know that the 457G is a $50 install. Several wires that you need to locate and tie in, and know what the fuck you are doing. What I don't get is the 22.50 for parking lights, 35.00 for this, 40 bucks for that.

They can get fucked. I'm not paying 30 bucks per wire for a 3-4 hours job.

Is Valet the DEI remote start system without alarm? I was told that they can't tie in to my seats, Driver programming etc. I'm just gonna keep a remote at home, and one at work. Start that shit with the DEI remote, and walk out the door with my regular keys.

to my knowledge all remote starters wont control the driver priority seats. i believe that it will always default to the driver one settings when it is remote started, they all do when i install them. but i could be wrong and there could be a way to control it. as far as the whole car toys thing holy crap thats an outrageous price, i work for best buy and they bend people over and we would only charge about 300 for one installed. and if you have done an alarm and can read and are not color blind you can do a remote starter. believe me i have taught some real retards how to do them. if ya r gonna attempt it yourself give yourself a couple hours to do it and believe it or not the avalanches are super super easy to do, you can get every wire you need at the steering column so there really is no searching for wire. the dei piece is also very easy to install and the directions that come with it are very good. and if ya have any problems installing it pm me i will give ya my number and i can walk ya through it over the phone.

Quoted post[/post]]
to my knowledge all remote starters wont control the driver priority seats. i believe that it will always default to the driver one settings when it is remote started, they all do when i install them. but i could be wrong and there could be a way to control it. as far as the whole car toys thing holy crap thats an outrageous price, i work for best buy and they bend people over and we would only charge about 300 for one installed. and if you have done an alarm and can read and are not color blind you can do a remote starter. believe me i have taught some real retards how to do them. if ya r gonna attempt it yourself give yourself a couple hours to do it and believe it or not the avalanches are super super easy to do, you can get every wire you need at the steering column so there really is no searching for wire. the dei piece is also very easy to install and the directions that come with it are very good. and if ya have any problems installing it pm me i will give ya my number and i can walk ya through it over the phone.

Cool thanks Mike. I've done a couple RS alarms, so just getting familiar with the Avalanche is the hardest part. If you say it's easy, then I'm sure it'll be a breeze. :)

Better late than never. My Fiance purchased a truck just like mine, and so for Christmas I'm gonna install RS alarms in both of our trucks.

I purchased 2 DEI Avital Avistart 4300 systems, and 2 457G modules for the install.

wow tab way to bring it back from the dead lol

good luck

and by the way why have you not gotten the first one done?

My fiance thought I was already too spoiled having a better rig than her stock civic. We traded in her Civic and got her an Avalanche. Even ground means I get what I want. Also, she misses the remote start that was in her Civic that I installed. So I'll do both....$276 for both alarms and 457G modules shipped.

BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!!

Back