Anybody have DirecTV?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ScrapinSi

I'm thinkin about switchin... The cable company here SUCKS... $43 a month for BASIC crappy cable... No Comedy Central, No Speed Channel... But 9 Public Access channels... :(

Anybody have it? How much do you pay? It seems like it might change price from month to month? What about your reception? And the installation?

His review was of DISH... Not DirecTV... I was going to go with Dish when i got the house, but signal wasn't available (Tree Line)... DirecTV supposedly has more options for angles though.

i had directv... didnt like it.. i switched to digital because i got a hellofadeal for switching

Direct TV is good. My parents have had it for a good 8 years or so.

zero issues. it almost never goes out unless it's snowing a couple FEET. but that's all in the placement of the dish. Donlt leve it out in the open and it should almost never lose signal.

If it wasnt for needing cable for the internet I would have direct TV. but since I need cable internet it makes sense to have 1 of each since you save so much money by having both services.

my girlfriends parents have direct tv...works just fine for them...im not sure how the price is though...

see i have DSL... No Cable Internet available in my area... I wish i could... b/c DSL goes down SOOO much. even though its only for 15 seconds at a clip, when it does it 4-5 times a night it gets aggrivating.

Still in Debate...

I call the phone company, they say its the DSL Service (Which are both the same)... DSL says its the phone...

It seems to happen at certain times of the day....

i have sbc dsl in nor.cal. its been good to me. havent had any issues with it. just upgraded to 3 Meg for 17.99 for a year.

i also had direct tv. its fine, but i couldnt say i miss it. we had 3 room and the regular package where you get foodtv, g4tech, speed, mtv1/2, etc... it was 53 for 1 year. decent price. however, we did get premium movie channels for 3 mos, so that was pretty cool.

pros:
-you can see whats on ahead of time, instead of wait until it scrolls to the channel like cable tv we have (no digital).
-good reception. channels were all clear.
-free installion and equipment (i think after rebate, forgot). it includes a uni. remote which is cool to keep.
-box we had optical audio out.

bad:
-heavy rain, it died for a while on us. had to reset the system, but didnt work until storm settled down.
-also, goes out one in a while, but reset usually does the trick.
-1 year contract
-pacific, so all channels except local were 3 hrs ahead. hard to adjust.
-extra for more than 2 rooms.

thats pretty much it. house is at 80ft above sea level. clear, and no trees or tall buidilings. incase for those interested in reception.
i prefer cable because its cheaper, by like 5 bucks, and dont have to pay for extra more than 2 rooms. has some channels i dont get on directtv, and not 3 hrs ahead of what other people watch (can be good or bad).

i am partial to comcast due tome working there... but what i have is insane for the cost.

HD/DVR Digital Cable w/ HBO,SHO,CINE,STARZ and TMC
me = free ~~~ customer in baltimore = 119.50

Plus a free second HD/DVR box
me = free ~~~ customer - 14.95

16 meg wireless internet
me = free ~~~ customer - 55.95

Comcast Digital Voice ( cdv) our VoIP
w/ free long distance and 12 calling features and a second line
me = 14.95 ~~~ customer 59.95

so total i pay 14.95 :) and they pay 100% of the rest of my college education
and a customer in batimore pays 250.35 per month. But also paying 50% for all ppv is cool too. So i see all the ufc fights for 19.95.

But in all honesty i can give you the pros and cons.

Direct Tv/ Dish - contracts, credit checks, constant outages due to weather, a big fee per month to lease a converter. You pay for service calls to you house. You also can join for cheap but stuck into a long term deal. 1 add i see alot is this...

You can sign up tosay for our Dish services today for a low monthly rate of 39.95 and get up to 4 tvs connected for free.
Look at the fine print. Those offers generally have you paying this rate for 3 - 6 months then it goes up to the normal rates for the duration of the contract. Meaning your service plan raises and also your box rental does also. I know myself i hate contracts in general, no mater if it is a cell phone, electric company, or gym membership, anything really that i have to stick with for a long period of time. Your best bet is to call in and complain to your cable provider. Threaten a disconnection. We have a team called retention... whoever wants to cancel service we send to them. Tell them whats going wrong and they will hook you on a price break to stay. I have seen people walk away with the package i have for under 100 bucks for a years time. Dont ask for a certain price because if you are demanding enough, they are going to just cancel you and not think twice. Same with the associate on the phone. They can cancel you if you are being a dick but just reason with them and see what you can get.

One of the only benefits to Direct TV is the NFL Sunday Ticket. They have contracted it and is only allowed to be viewed through their system. But i just go to the local bar and watch it and eat great food when there is a real game to see. If you dont like paying so much and only use half of the channels on your TV try asking about the limited service also. You lose MTV and useless channels but you keep, government and local channels and for a small fee of like 11 dollars (in maryland) you get 25 more channels like Discovery, HGTV, TLC, and alot of the chanels i basically watch incluing ESPN. Your options are out there just dont do anything rash yet, without talking to the retention team first. There probably refer to them as the consumer advisory team, or customer relations but all the same thing.

Dont know if that helped much but let me know... i can always try and hook you on a good price if my login works in your state.

*edit - to respond to the post above. Anyone can give you free installation. We just get a fat commission check at the end of the month for all the revenue we bring in. This month... i brought home 1400 alone in commission, them my wages on top of it. The guide for comcast goes 4 days in advance for government and local channels and 2 days for premium channels. But we have a digital cable TV Guide for 2.10 a month and that givesyou a paper guide for the whole month. ALso with digital cable, you can get no imiton rooms with basic cable to view at no extra charge a month. So you can have the bigscreen with digital and 13 extra outlets of basic cable for the same price per month. But depending on install costs for whom is making the sale.

Last edited:
My parents have had DirecTv for about 6 years now, they love it, we also have it with TiVo, which blows dvr out of the water. The box never dies, but signal does go out if its pouring cats and dogs (like reallllly heavy) or if we are in the middle of a 2 foot snow storm.

As for Pacific/Eastern time channels, you get both, so its not a problem. I find the quality of the picture is beter with satillite too. Plus, the menu's and all that are so much more (i mean worlds better) clean and crisp and more user friendly than the shitty digital cable.

Dish network sucks, never get that, directv is the only option. I've had digital cable for about 3 years and i cant stand it, the boxes are the shittiest things ever created, the waiting time for the guide sometimes and shit is rediculous, and their menus suck.

you cant go wrong with directv, i know after this semester is over and i get my own place, directv will be getting installed.

I was talking to my brother in law today, and he said his DirecTV guide or DVR sometimes takes FOREVER.... But I asked if he has ever switched transponders or what his signal strength is, and he has no clue...

We were all at my dad's who has Digital Cable (Through the same Local Company as me), and the guide seemed REALLY slow. I'm a click happy person, with very little patience... Which is why I love good old fashioned standard cable.

Maybe i'll call customer service or something... Do you do any work with Eastern CT Cable? I heard they were getting bought out by a bigger company.

our menus and guides for directv are instantanious, however my dvr/digital cable takes FOOORRRRRREEEEVVVVVEEEERRRR

dude, get directv and never look back.

well it depends on the type of boxes you use also which dictates the processor. # types are used on most of the east coast. Motorola... which is the fastest as far as browsing is concerned. Scientific Atlanta ... which is a solid box but is very slow and not user friendly by anymeans. And Pace... which is made by SA but is there higher end. Same controls but boxes respond faster but they dont offer DVR. I have the Motorola 3412, with a 160 gb harddrive and never lags 1 bit.

most of the time you cant choose, certain service providers only carry one make. So if you really want to stick with cable, check to see what box youll be getting first, i guess. If i were to choose between a box thats just as fast as the satellite, id get satellite purely based on the user friendlyness, the look (on screen menus-guides-everything) and the fact that you simply have more viewing options. I dont see adelphia or anyone offering baseball/football/sport packages nearly as complete as directv, nor do they have the OPTION of getting single channels you wouldnt be able to get in your area. For instance, i live in VT so our "local" sports channel is NESN (new england sports network) which is redsox tv, my family are yankees fans so all we had to do was call up directv and in 5 seconds we had YES (yankees entertainment sports network) and MSG (Madison Square Garden Network), and its not only limited to those types of channels, you can pretty much customize what channels you recieve.

I love the propaganda the commercials spew about how digital cable is superior.. There was on commercial saying something about how the offer HD packages now, and they went on to say "you cant get that with a dish" uhhh yeah you can douche bag.

Back