anyone know about catback exhaust removable SILENCER?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

crxgirl

Silent
Anyone know what is a removable silencer on a catback exhaust?

I am about to buy a full catback exhaust kit for my 92 civic HB and i was wondering if the "removable" silencer is going to make it quiet as a stock exhaust or if it's still louder? I already got quite a few tickets for the sound of my other muffler and i can't afford to replace it with something louder... it's my winter car also.

anyone have info on this? :confused:
thanks!

nice avatar.

It all depends on what brand the catback is (or muffler, I should clarify). some are loud anyway, some get really quiet with that silencer in.

Try to score a flowmaster catback. Or if you have the funds, get an RSR. Both are much more quiet but give a nice growl during spirited driving. steer clear of ebay specials.

Thanks for answering lol not many people who know/care about this i guess. I don't know much about exhausts because i had them made custom for my crx. Actually i was looking onto ebay.. thanks for the advice ^_^

silencers usually make it quiter but like phyregod said go with RSR or FLOWMASTER their pretty quiet exhaust systems but give power too ..

Everyone thinks Flowmaster exhausts are quiet. I can hear them over my GReddy SP, they're not quiet.

What's your current exhaust setup? Maybe you just need a resonator.

Well it's bone stock and i had installed (fitted somehow) some lawn mower muffler that i had received as a birthday gift... i felt bad not installing it on my winter car...but now it has come to it's end! :D And i need something nice, quiet and not too expensive... any suggestions where i can find this?

Last edited:
How much can you afford to spend?

well bot much, i figure 500...:mellow: I guess it's impossible to find anything decent for a entire catback at that price. There is ebay but i know it's crappy ...

I know, but i was talking about a entire exhaust line from the manifold to the back... Anyhow, thanks for you time hehe. I will look into the brands you mentionned. Even though it's for my winter car i just don't see myself paying for a STOCK exhaust line since it's gotta be changed... :mellow:

Usually those silencers have a 1 1/2" hole or something ridiculous. It came with the Apexi N1 exhaust on my Neon, I removed it ASAP. I have no idea what it does to your performance with that in, but it looked like it would just KILL the performance.

A good resonator is the key. Without it the car will be pretty damn loud.

instead of spending a lot of money on a winter car. I'd look into having a shop custom bend/weld and install a 2-1/4" high flow cat, a resonator and use a muffler like this one
520-21500.gif
hooker aero chamber muffler.

This is the setup I use on my CRX it's quite under 3500-4000rpm, and gets a little louder about that. it's quite, free flowing, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
cat about $60
resonator $20-30
muffler $60,
labor$125
total parts & labor to install $275.

I got 8 years out of this setup.

Even if you spend $500 on a namebrand exhaust you've wither got to install is yourself with muffler clamps (imho is lame) or weld it up yourself, or pay someone to do it. if you're gonna pay someone you're looking at parts $500 + labor $100-$200.

Back