arp head studs for gsr block w/ b16 head

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

vtecsir1 said:
cool, maybe arp told you to measure just so they werent liable or something.
no he told me to measure it since they dont have it listed they had no idea, and that they needed the measurements to make sure I got the right head studs.

but like wil said in the other post, they dont build the blocks they just take measurements and make the studs.

yea....i would highly rely on the OEM Honda part #'s, if the GSR and Type-r part #'s match then that should tell us something, but if ARP's part #'s differ between the GSR and Type-r then its a possibility that ARP sources are fucked up......so much confusion.

damn when I called acura today about head bolts for a gsr I didnt ask them about the itr and gsr difference, I have to pick up a part there tomorrow, I will ask them when I am down there, see what they say. but it would make sense if the itr and gsr head bolts are the same then you would think the arp head studs should be the same

i checked honda.

GSR/ITR, same part number same size 11x164
b16, diff number diff size 11x155

again, use the gsr studs...

You know, when I pull my motors apart I'll have to check and see which studs I have. I bought my B18C5 ARP studs a long time ago. I also have ARP studs in my B16. Unless ARP has changed their parts in the past 2 years? I could have sworn I bought them specifically for the B18C5. Wow, so confusing. haha.

I still say get the studs for a B18C5. Like I said earlier, that's the motor your are building, for the most part anyway. I'm sure Honda uses GSR headbolts on the ITR but my guess is that because they are just that, headbolts. We are talking about what "studs" to use. Now I don't know if there is anything different in determining how to measure studs but i'm sure ARP would know.

Also, a while back when I was going to do an LS/Vtec (not a GSR w/B16 head like we are talking about in this thread) Jeff at IB told me to use GSR or ITR "headbolts" for the simple fact that they can handle up 400 HP. Now, he never said I couldn't use the B16 headbolts, just that it would be better to use the GSR or Type R headbolts.

B16RacerN2NR said:
I'm sure Honda uses GSR headbolts on the ITR but my guess is that because they are just that, headbolts. We are talking about what "studs" to use. Now I don't know if there is anything different in determining how to measure studs but i'm sure ARP would know.
Why would it be any different? The difference is in the length between GSR/ITR and B16. The difference in length is determined by how deep the stud goes into the block. Stud or bolt, they both should go the same depth into the block, it makes no difference, you're still accomplishing the same thing.

so today I pulled my b16 head off and use the same head bolt in each block in the same hole and measured it and I did take pictures and there is a huge difference.

b16 head bolt in B16a block
06_17_06_1116.jpg

b16 head bolt in b18c1 block
06_17_06_1118.jpg

so as you can see there is a 1/2 difference and all it did was hand tightened the bolt, so now I see the difference, the gsr block has deeper threads than the b16 block so i am going to get the ARP head studs for a gsr, like most poeple have been saying.

would you mind comparing them side by side when your arp studs come in? im curious about something.

why does it look like your one block was paint with copper spray gasket inside the galley ways.

cause when I put my b16 head on the b16 block I used copper spray, the b18c1 block doesnt have any spray on it cuase i just got it last sunday, and i am taking it to the machine shop on monday for new bearing, rings, crank machined, and block is going to get honed.

B16 said:
Why would it be any different?
I don't know why it would be different, but according to ARP it is for some reason. Everyone i've talked to has zero complaints about ARP, including you. So maybe they know something we don't.

This is a great debate, turning out very informative.:)

EDIT: Maybe the difference in the studs is the threads on the top where the bolts screw onto. Maybe that's why ARP has them as a different part #? I don't know, just a thought. I'm curious to know what the exact difference is in the GSR and ITR studs.

Last edited:
ripperbone said:
cause when I put my b16 head on the b16 block I used copper spray, the b18c1 block doesnt have any spray on it cuase i just got it last sunday, and i am taking it to the machine shop on monday for new bearing, rings, crank machined, and block is going to get honed.

you sprayed on the actual block? i think all you needed to do was just spray your head gasket with it, thats what i did with mine and it turned out fine. you were running a hg right?

Last edited:
yes I was running a OEM Head Gasket, and yes I sprayed the block then set the headgasket, then sprayed the headgasket, and then installed the head

very informative. thanks for clearing things up ripper. i hope we get all this set and done by the time this thread is over.

I wont get it the motor done in time, I have to back to Texas for a week for work, and I am not sure how long the machine shop is going to take.

nice picture, that about sums up what I found out today, as soon as I get the studs I till try to show the difference

Back