"Ask a Professional"

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Lame, Brittany's parents are convinced they want to get a Mini for their second car. Only because they have one of those small pull under the house garages (they have a detached two garage as well). Any suggestions for something small reasonably priced 10-15k, easy on maintenance and coolish? Think Mini like, but obviously not for reasons stated above.

Lame, Brittany's parents are convinced they want to get a Mini for their second car. Only because they have one of those small pull under the house garages (they have a detached two garage as well). Any suggestions for something small reasonably priced 10-15k, easy on maintenance and coolish? Think Mini like, but obviously not for reasons stated above.

Used Fit Sport with a manual. There is a reason it's always on C&D 10 Best. It's good.

It probably won't be for a couple years, maybe their will be some CRZ's in the price range. I know it's not for me, but personally I still can't get over how the fit looks like a small mini van.

New one made by Peugeot.

Um....no...

It uses a Prince engine, which is also used by Peugeot and Citroën marques, but Mini is a marque owned by BMW, and they're built at Plant Oxford in, Cowley, Oxford - a BMW facility.

Not Peugeot. BMW.

It probably won't be for a couple years, maybe their will be some CRZ's in the price range. I know it's not for me, but personally I still can't get over how the fit looks like a small mini van.

S2k.

The turbo ones are horrible I hear. the s/c generation was better... but still had issues

I dunno, the s/c'd sucked too. I haven't done a whole lot of 'repair' work on the turbos. Maintenance, yes...repairs, not so much.

Um....no...

It uses a Prince engine, which is also used by Peugeot and Citroën marques, but Mini is a marque owned by BMW, and they're built at Plant Oxford in, Cowley, Oxford - a BMW facility.

Not Peugeot. BMW.
I saw Prince engine and had to take a step back. I thought perhaps it was some Nissan leftover - like calling Volvo Trucks "White".

so hey yall im gonna be buying a car soon and im shooting to spend $3500 max, so im wondering about a few cars like these two:
96 Ford Mustang GT
Audi A4 1.8t Quattro 1999

I've never had an Audi or a Mustang but always have liked them and hell i got to drive a 2012 GT500 last week so, I'm really digging Mustangs even more than before... but my question to you guys is, what are known problems with those two cars, and does it seem like a ok deal? I never had one of em so I'm really not sure about how much they usually go for...

im also gonna be looking at some Lincoln LS v6 6 speeds if i can find them... just cause it seems pretty bad ass, and also if I can find an amazingly nice older impreza i might need some info on that as well. Do we even have any Subaru peeps here?

looking for hondas too of course, but I already know a bunch about em... at least enough to not need to ask

Last edited:
My 2 cents..

Audi A4- While I've never owned one, I have a friend who's an Audi-ophile. He loves that generation A4, but says if they aren't meticulously maintained, they can go to hell really quickly.

Mustang- I'm not particularly a fan of Mustangs or Ford in general. That being said, it's a 302. And has been a 302 for over 30 years. Tons of parts available. I've had lots of friends that have owned them. Maintained right, they can be a lot of fun. Even maintained wrong, they will take a lot of abuse.

In my non-professional opinion, I'd go with the Mustang. And that's coming from someone who'd like to put a sbc in one.

I actually would love to put a chevy motor in just about anything lol

I know enough about them to know the parts arent hard to find, and usually can be had cheap...

but i think the stang was a 4.6...

I actually would love to put a chevy motor in just about anything lol

I know enough about them to know the parts arent hard to find, and usually can be had cheap...

but i think the stang was a 4.6...
Well, leave it to me to misinform. Just looked into it, I thought the block was still the same despite displacement. I was wrong. Ford completely abandoned the Windsor motor after the Fox body.

All the more reason to swap to a sbc, haha. My best friend actually had a 96 convertible with a blown up V6. Didn't quite convince him to keep it and have fun. Of course, now he has a 2012 GT convertible.

I was wondering about that too... i thought they were at least similar.

I wonder if anything is interchangeable between the 4.6 and the 5.4... hmm, gonna have to look that up next time i see a 5.4 swapped gt. lol

I was wondering about that too... i thought they were at least similar.

I wonder if anything is interchangeable between the 4.6 and the 5.4... hmm, gonna have to look that up next time i see a 5.4 swapped gt. lol
The 302 is a pushrod engine. The 4.6 is an OHC engine. I doubt much is interchangeable.

dude im talking about the 5.4 like in the SVT cobra, and the GT500's... im gonna try and see if there's any similarities to the 4.6's

dude im talking about the 5.4 like in the SVT cobra, and the GT500's... im gonna try and see if there's any similarities to the 4.6's
I'm at work with one appointment around 3p. I'll look into it too, haha.

i might just go with what i know and get a 2002+ cherokee, durango, or dakota with the 4.7 like my old truck... i want to be able to haul shit, and haul ass lol

I also have seen this twin turbo kit for the 1st gen 4.7 magnum that i was wanting to do with my 02 dak a while back

and some other stuff:
5.2 dakota turbo - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums

Get a hemi Durango. Years ago when I was traveling for work my van broke down. I got a hemi durango for a rental. I had a fun trip through Maine and New Hampshire. Not a rocket ship had respectable power.
That or get one of those hemi grand cherokees

Everything I have read says they are nearly identical. Different stroke creates the added displacement. So technically a different block, but it's just a taller version. But heads, camshafts, pistons, trans, all interchangeable. They also both exist not only in the Mustang, but also in the F-150, so I have to imagine parts are abundant.

Back