astronaut toolkit drop on spacewalk

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

the movie "wall*e" is more likely to happen than "armageddon". ^_^
how do you figure that? the universe is larger than any one of us could begin to imagine. plus its filled with a seeminlgy infinite number of objects, including those meteors.

at any point one of them could come this way, and possibly hit! of course we would see it coming thanks to nasa's contributions to technology, but thats fuckin scary, dude.

how do you figure that? the universe is larger than any one of us could begin to imagine. plus its filled with a seeminlgy infinite number of objects, including those meteors.

at any point one of them could come this way, and possibly hit! of course we would see it coming thanks to nasa's contributions to technology, but thats fuckin scary, dude.
so you really think that we will land on a meteor, dig a deep hole, fill it with a nuclear missile, set it off, and escape back to a safe landing?

yeah, ok.

my bet lies with humans destroying the earth and looking for a new place to go.

so you really think that we will land on a meteor, dig a deep hole, fill it with a nuclear missile, set it off, and escape back to a safe landing?

yeah, ok.

my bet lies with humans destroying the earth and looking for a new place to go.

There are lots of much more serious ideas being thrown around... Covering them with giant sheets of plastic to alter its heat absorption and change it's course, robots that land on the thing and fling debris off which alters its trajectory, solar powered ion drives, all kinds of things.

no i dont think the nuclear blast idea would work at all, in fact it may fail miserably since all the nuclear fallout and debris could enter our atmosphere, which would only happen if it were close enough i guess, but still i wouldnt suggest that one anyways.

my theory would be to dig/drill the hole, and fill the bitch with a rocket booster, then repeat about 6-8 times so that you could have various points to apply thrust and steer it away.

though that type of project would likely require many countries to work together and get it done, i think if it came down to it... it could be done.

The remaining pair of grease guns will be tethered to a larger bag so they won't leak on other equipment. A dry wipe will be wrapped around the grease guns to catch any leaks. Finally, Stefanyshyn-Piper will use a prelubricated wipe to clean the metal shavings instead of a grease gun, so she and Kimbrough don't have to share as much.

Whats sad is, they have this all figured out, lined out, item for item, movement for movement. A panel was assembled to come up with these solutions. Can you immagine that meeting?

"Ziplock bag??" nay! nay nay nay!! "How about a wet-nap?" all in favor? aye, aye, aye, nay! "I say we should use a dry wipe." All in favor of the dry wipe? Aye aye aye aye! Ok, moving on to what we are going to tie these things to?.. I say we tether them to the space walker's hand!" Nay! nay nay nay!!...

this isn't the movie "armageddon". no matter how much space experience there is, if there is a meteor that catastrophic, we aren't going to be able to stop it.

Eh

Why dig a hole? We have technology to do much better than that and actually succeed too.

Well, look at how often I've posted in the last 2 years and then you'll shit yourself even more. Then go read the content of most of those posts and shit more still. There are quite a few members who have come on and whored their way to thousands of posts without adding much real technical content to the site.

holy crap calesta, i just looked at your post count.. and almost shit myself.

B retired his old screen name at 50k. Thats pretty amazing imo. I've been here for 2.5 years and have like 1300. I feel like I spend way too much time here too:p

Getting back on track, I think the Magic School Bus has covered all the exploration we need.

Magic-School-Bus.jpg

B retired his old screen name at 50k. Thats pretty amazing imo. I've been here for 2.5 years and have like 1300. I feel like I spend way too much time here too:p

Getting back on track, I think the Magic School Bus has covered all the exploration we need.

Magic-School-Bus.jpg

WAHOOOO!!!!!1 bitches!

Nah, you only have 2k or so. I'm talking about 8k ish in a year. :)

$100,000 FOR A FUCKING GREASE GUN!

No wonder our ecno is in the toilet! What next they going to spend 50k for a toilet seat!

It was a whole tool kit. Not just the grease guns. But yeah, a 100k "tool kit" is silly. You could build a nice shop and fill it with damn nice tools for 100k.

It was a whole tool kit. Not just the grease guns. But yeah, a 100k "tool kit" is silly. You could build a nice shop and fill it with damn nice tools for 100k.

im sure this isnt your average craftsman or even snapon tool kit... this is most likely some highly specialized shit made out of some ridiculously light weight material that is specially formulated to handle the rigors of the temperatures and other conditions in space and some such blah blah blah....

:shrug2:

Back