1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Attention Taco and other spanish speakers

Discussion in 'Members' Lounge' started by VTEC_CBR, Jun 25, 2008.

1. VTEC_CBR

VTEC_CBR Senior Member

I am quite fluent in spanish, but I have a question. A few days ago I was watching Pan's Labyrinth. When Faun would speak to the little girl, he'd talk to her using vosotros. Well, it's my understanding that vosotros is used just like ustedes, as in, when talking to two or more people. However, he was using it speaking only to her. Am I wrong? Could it possibly be something saved for extreme cases? Everyone I know speaks using tu, or usted if they're speaking respectfully to someone. But I've just never heard of vosotros being used in a singular form.

2. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

a little lesson for the non spanish speaking like me

3. VTEC_CBR

VTEC_CBR Senior Member

See that's where I'm confused. Thanks for what you posted, as it reaffirms what I had learned that vosotros is exactly like ustedes only formal. The confusion lies in the fact that Faun uses it when speaking to Ofelia, and Ofelia alone... I mean, I understood by listening without reading to what was being said, it just didn't make sense when he'd talk to her. By the way, if you don't mind subtitles, check it out. It's a neat flick.

4. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

What if he was talking to just her but referencing a group of people...?

5. Luis998

Luis998 Honda Enthusiast

I've heard it used like that before. To me he was using it in a first person, possessive way when he referred to her. Nosotros y vosotros means we. Eh, who knows. The one thing that got me about that movie was that it was in Spanish. I've never been one for Spanish movies or dubbed movies even. Anywho, if what I am saying doesn't make sense right now, that is because I have been HIGHLY sleep deprived and should probably be taken out back and shot into a coma. :D

In fact, disregard my entire post. haha

6. VTEC_CBR

VTEC_CBR Senior Member

By context of what is said, it wouldn't work. Also, if he was referencing a group of people and talking to her about them, he'd say either ellos, or aquellos.

7. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

:shrug:
    i hated all 2 or 3 years of spanish i had to take in HS

here's some more info from the above source and a link
    What is vosotros? (Spanish language)

8. Luis998

Luis998 Honda Enthusiast

You know, they actually called me the summer of my freshman year before high school and gave me a choice on which version of Spanish I wanted to take. Needless to say I chose the "regular" version for two years straight and literally slept through it. haha I never had problems getting a work partner whenever we had group projects.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted