b16 or b18 swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jwatson619

hi i have a 95 eg (ex coupe) with a d16z6 motor, and am new to the whole honda sceen. I decided to build either a b16 or b18 that will eventually be turboed. i dont have a lot of money due to my hours being cut in half at work but want to go ahead and start my build pc. by pc. Right now im 4 1/2 hours into reading forums on these 2 builds and am leaning toward the b18c1. the problem im having is understanding the difference between the gsr and the ls/vtec. to let you know i have a very have foot and like to speed everywhere i go. ive read a few people boring their b18s to a 2.0L and then putting a b16 head on it with a gsr tranny (im assuming thats what theyre talking about.) but im wondering what would be a good build for b18 motor. and what kind of tranny? thanks for any help you guys can give me.

IMO.....Get a B series Transmission for sure

If you have a heavy foot, little money and are just learning about Honda....do not do a LS/VTEC

Get a B18B1 non-VTEC complete long block and a 94-01 GSR transmission if you plan on turbo later.
It will be day and night feel from the D16Z6 and the swap can be done under $1700 for sure. (maybe cheaper when bought piece by piece)

Any of the possible VTEC/turbo set ups takes more money, knowledge, and tuning.

if money is an issue, you should really just turbo the z6 you got. You can get a homemade style kit on there for ~1500 bucks and it will rape b18's all day.

yeah i thought about putting a turbo on my z6 but then i would be spending more money in the end since i would still want to build my motor. for the accomplishment and satisfaction that i did it, as well as figured now that i built my car id not ream it so much. but this build will take alot of time as it is. im in the process of getting some yellow koni shocks and either tein springs or eibach. but thanks for the help.

if you want a turbo and reliability you should think about having to put money into internals as well as the turbo, like sleeves for your pistons, new head bolts etc etc unless you run low psi.

Back