b16/turbo vs ls/turbo vs sohc/turbo

What is a best choice for a daily driver with about $3000 to invest?

• LS Turbo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stock SOHC Tu

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by CRXSI91+Jul 14 2005, 05:19 PM-->
@Jul 13 2005, 01:17 AM
you wont be able to afford a b16 swap + turbo

you can boost a d series for 1k easy and it will hit 13's all day

ls swap are pointless nowadays IMO
[post=525219]Quoted post[/post]​

i guess torque is pointless nowadays right??? cus a b16 doesnt have it.
[post=526289]Quoted post[/post]​

b16 would be better boosted than an LS. ooh, and an the LS has like 10 ft-lbs more stock... <_<

Originally posted by get_nick@Jul 14 2005, 09:55 AM
ls + turbo=230hp with tuning. price-$2400 (according to Brian)
sohc + turbo=160hp with tuning price-$1200 (home made kit)

i guess i'm looking at bang for the buck. Plus after i install the LS i would have a decent powered daily until i find the right turbo kit. I guess if you look at it as dollar for dollar hp the extra 70 hp from the LS swap for $1200 more is a great deal. Don't forget, the sohc comes with a measly 106 hp which means it probably puts down about 85 to the wheels right now. lol.
[post=526008]Quoted post[/post]​

who told you only 160hp for a boosted D..wrong you can get like 182 at like 7psi with a decent tune..come on now your giving D's a bad rep they CAN be fast motors...you can get a d series up to like 200whp if you have it at like 11psi and a decent tune you can get close to that with 8psi and a good tune it all varies on the tuner...

i vote to stick with D-series and turbo it. u got a low mile motor, might as well turbo it and when she blows then drop in a b-series. i mean the most you gonna get for a D-motor is around 200-300. just my two cents on it. i personally have a d-series with only 30,000 i was going to swap a b18c1 in there but decided to turbo because it would be a waste with such low miles on my d-series. so i vote turbo the D. (by the way there is a very good site for turbo d-series www.turbod16.com check it out. oh and 160hp for a turbo D... hell naw just check out all the dynos on turbod16.) best of luck to watever u choose.

Originally posted by drpenguin@Jul 15 2005, 05:55 PM
hey i have a b16 but i would love me some boosted D series. Two cams can be over rated sometimes...
[post=526959]Quoted post[/post]​

I would agree. BUT only for a daily driver or something. a boosted d series is not as fast as a boosted B series, and you would quickly miss the B.

I think it is cool when peopl eboost their D series, because, they ARE pretty quick. Just not as quick as a B series boosted...I love my boosted B16. Except I'm ripping through my transmission from making too much power for my already tender 3rd gear at 12 psi. Plus I need a stronger clutch now....

when i had my eg coupe, it had a b16 in it. it was pretty nice to. i/h/e, skunk2 im, skunk2 ecu. i liked it but it just wasn't enough. so i just feel the need to go turbo these days. I have seen some good numbers from d series swaps but i want to run full interior and exhaust and not have to spend a lot of money tuning and dyno'ing it. the only problem i have with the d series turbo then swap in a b series when it blows is that i will have to buy new manifolds, new tuning and a lot of other shit, so i want to stick with what i buy for a while. also, with the tq differences in between the b16 and ls turbo charging them makes them pretty equal, so this is what is causing the most dilemma. the differences between the b series is minimal aside from vtec. but the ls has the displacement benefit.

Originally posted by tl_vang86@Jul 15 2005, 07:06 PM
i vote to stick with D-series and turbo it. u got a low mile motor, might as well turbo it and when she blows then drop in a b-series.
[post=526968]Quoted post[/post]​

Great Idea!

IMO, the older the car the more of a need for a swap, No reason to toss a perfectly good engine.
If you feel the need i will say what i always do cause i don't know any better, GO WITH THE LS.

Back