B16, well dont feel like a B16

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

4drsleeper

I just did a b16 swap in my civic and after $600 of shop work I got it running....Well driving it home it was slow, vtec worked but did not feel like most b16 I have driven before!!! My question is, what can be the reason for this? I have $2000 in a swap that feels slower then my friends d16...

Could be many different things... You gotta be more specific, and tell us what exactly it's doing, CEL's, somethin'...

yea it could be that u think vtec is kicking in but could be just the car gettin louder like mine did when i first got it running. or the timing could be way off. many different factors.

yea, or mixed/missing vacuum lines, poor compression, timing as mentioned^.
:(

No, the truth is that b16's are great , but they have no torque. Only 111 ft/lbs to the crank(not to the wheels). Its great for the high r's but its not gonna throw your head back in the seat. Especially if your running a four dour, too much wait. Pull the block out and do ls or b20 vtec and you'll feel the kick your looking for. The motors fine, its just you didn't check the specs. I've seen lightly modded ls integras take out b16 civics over and over again. I know, it sucks!

No LS integra has taken the B16 rex. the only teg that got me was a mild build b20. B16s are great anything more then a 2 door needs a 1.8 i think. You could stroke the b16 and get the tourqe you want

:gives:

ls vs b16 vs my cock vs who gives a shit.

start your own damn thread if you want to brag about your un-defeated 15 second car... don't ruin this gys thread for help

i agree i have an LS CRX, my bro used to have a B16 hatch-back, our cars were about the same speed untill about 110 or so then he would start to pull on me. Anyways....the b16 FELT slower even though was the same speed maybe a lil faster when we raced.

Originally posted by 90crxb18@Sep 22 2005, 04:40 PM
i agree i have an LS CRX, my bro used to have a B16 hatch-back, our cars were about the same speed untill about 110 or so then he would start to pull on me. Anyways....the b16 FELT slower even though was the same speed maybe a lil faster when we raced.
[post=558681]Quoted post[/post]​

:bash:

NO ONE GIVES A SHIT! THIS IS NOT LS vs B16

with proper clutching, even an 80 lbs/ft car (If in a light enough chassis) can give you a kick in the ass.

Is the car bucking in 1st gear, just out of curiosity ? I have a Celica in the garage now that doesn't have the oomph to move out of 1st, but in other gears the power is smooth and perfect. I expect a timing or timing advance issue.

The compression was perfect at 200 and 210 on all the cyclinders, I have a p28 chipped with the p30 code...I had the shop do the wiring harness and as far as I know everything is hooked up....I dont have any CEL's; I think I need exhaust bad I have the stock exhaust on right now.....Thanks for all the help, it kinda sucks feeling like I did this swap for nothing!!!!

depending on how shot the cat is and how restrictive the exhaust is that could be your problem right there

I have a 91 b18c1 hatch with stock exhaust that felt a little slow. I installed my friends cat back its a no name from ebay and it made a world of difference. I recommend replacing your exhaust.

M

Update:::: Now my car feels like it should, I had two sensors that were reading that the car was colder then it was....This made the ECU bump more gas then it needed, making it run like crap....It is fixed now and pulls ok, vtec is loud but you cant feel it at (about like d16)......Thanks for all the help I hope to have exhaust by friday, and I'm running my car Saturday and I will post up my times....Thanks again

Personally, i think that if you can feel vtec, something is wrong. If you are tuned correctly it shouldnt kick your head back...it should just accelerate faster.

Usually VTEC is tuned right and the low end is fucked if VTEC hits you hard.

Quoted post[/post]]
Personally, i think that if you can feel vtec, something is wrong. If you are tuned correctly it shouldnt kick your head back...it should just accelerate faster.

Usually VTEC is tuned right and the low end is fucked if VTEC hits you hard.

have you ever been in a b16 powered vehicle? all the power it has is in vtec.

touche...i have only been in 1.8 and above...the CTR hatch ive never ridden in...just put the exhaust on it.

I love how some of you guys bash this guy's B16. You guys speak of the B16A like it's an extention of the D series. I've always thought the B16A was the best motor Honda made (exclude the K)...most power under the smallest displacement. Torque? Fuck it..who needs it...not going to help you on the track when you only go from a standstill once until the end of the race. Give the B16A a little respect, it's earned it. It's a fucking dope motor. [/rant]

Anyways,

Good to hear your motor is working. I'm going to go with everyone else here and say to get the exhaust done. It made a huge diffrence on my B16A. I suggest a 2.25" catback with a test pipe and a nice resonator (insert favourite brand here)..... trust.

Back