b16?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I HATE these threads/conversations.

Ok.
First, the race:
Everything is a factor. Period. In order to really prove which did better, there would need to be an average. A median of sorts.

Second, B16-vs-D16:
As far as I see it, and I may be wrong, but I would choose the DOHC over the SOHC soley for the sake of tuneablility. In a D-Series, you CANNOT(as far as my knowledge goes) individually tune the exhaust side of the cam -vs- the intake or vise-versa. And that aspect, TUNING, seems to go towards making more power in any setup. Turbo, N/A, or a complete bolt-on build, tuning makes more power, and a Dual-Cam motor has more potential to be tuned.

If I am wrong, someone feel free to correct me, but this is how I see it.

im not bashin b16's, im just doing the same thing most b series guys say to me... like this one guy in a b16 hatch runnin 14.8, i was talkin about racing someone and hes like what u have, and i was like SOHC VTEC crx, and he was like pssh i aint wasting my time on a d series. im like wtf man, they are almost the same speed, in some cases D's are faster. they jsut dont get any respect

Originally posted by CRX2NR18@Jul 12 2004, 01:15 AM
im not bashin b16's, im just doing the same thing most b series guys say to me... like this one guy in a b16 hatch runnin 14.8, i was talkin about racing someone and hes like what u have, and i was like SOHC VTEC crx, and he was like pssh i aint wasting my time on a d series. im like wtf man, they are almost the same speed, in some cases D's are faster. they jsut dont get any respect

Once again My friend could hang with me just like you were saying when we were messing around on the street however on the track it was a different story

15.2 VS 17.5ish

and once again a CRX should be low 14s high 13s with a B16 your friend can't drive worth shit or his engine is running like ass

Originally posted by h22bubbleback@Jul 11 2004, 10:31 PM
u cant flame on a b16 because you beat someone in a race who had one...

It's not about that. It's about first hand experience with the engine in various states of tune in just about every car it can be bolted into! B16 is a great engine, but worthless when you have a B18C as a choice.

Originally posted by Loco Honkey+Jul 12 2004, 04:23 PM-->
h22bubbleback
@Jul 11 2004, 10:31 PM
u cant flame on a b16 because you beat someone in a race who had one...

It's not about that. It's about first hand experience with the engine in various states of tune in just about every car it can be bolted into! B16 is a great engine, but worthless when you have a B18C as a choice.

I didn't have a B18C as a choice :( We have them here, but it isn't hard to find one that cost the same as a K series in the states.

Then boost it. :) Like I said- it makes good numbers when boosted. Just as far as NA goes, it's just not there, and there's only so much you can do with 1600ccs. Unless you want to give up ALL hints of streetability...

Originally posted by Loco Honkey+Jul 11 2004, 07:25 PM-->
Originally posted by 92b16vx@Jul 11 2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Jul 11 2004, 06:56 PM
CRX2NR18
@Jul 11 2004, 02:34 AM
i didnt start this to brag about a race, i was wondering why so many people do b16 swaps in there crx's? that was the question

Because it's an overhyped, overrated engine. Sure, it makes decent numbers on boost, but unless you do that, you might as well swap a D16Z6 in there.

Yea ok :roll:

Yeah OK nothing. You swap a B16 into a hatch and pull what... a low 15 second time? Whoooo... How much did you spend? Whoooo even more. Yes, they make good numbers under boost, but by themselves, even with bolt ons, they're not much better than D series. Yeah, 160 HP, but how much torque (the number that really matters)..? I seem to have forgotten... Oh yeah, 111 ft lbs. And how much torque does a D16Z6 have? 108 ft lbs? Hm. And when does that B16 make the power? Oh yeah- way up above 5500 RPM... and you guys bitch about turbo lag? Fuck me, if I have to wait 'till 5500 RPM for anything resembling power, you can bet your ass that car's going out on the front lawn with a for sale sign.

I've driven B16s in CRXs, del Sols (both OEM and swapped), in Civic hatches, coupes, and in DA Integras. I have *NEVER* been impressed with the engine. Yes, it revs like a mofo, and is very smooth doing so, and has a very smooth power delivery, but it's... just... not... powerful. Period. End of discussion. The B18C1 and C5 are worth it, perhaps. Maybe. But the B16? Puh-lease. It's a torqueless wonder that belongs in a sub- 1500 lb. open wheel race car.

who runs 15's with a b16 hatch, i watch b16 hatches run low 14's all day here in fl. my buddys b16 coupe hit 14.6 with just i/h/e, i dont see d series hatches with just bolt ons pulling lows 14's nice try though

also look at what jdm milan did with his b16 motors since you say they are worthless all motor, what are you talking about giving up streetability? how so with an all motor or boosted b16.

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Jul 12 2004, 06:35 PM
Then boost it. :) Like I said- it makes good numbers when boosted. Just as far as NA goes, it's just not there, and there's only so much you can do with 1600ccs. Unless you want to give up ALL hints of streetability...

Actually mine does me real good on the street in everyday driving, getting on and off the autobahn is fine, and it has never let me down up hills, or passing, Yea boost would be fun, and I am actually still toying with the idea on this motor, but I may just get an ITR motor and drop it in, find out when I get back from the desert.

how about we just settle this on both motors have potential, mine ran great simply for the fact my car was gutted, gearing, slicks, and a good motor.

personally, I have always wanted to build a socher for fun to see how fast it would run. If I remember correctly- Bisi was running 12's in his crx with minimal work and it was with a 1.5 non vtec sohcer

Originally posted by JDMilan@Jul 12 2004, 07:58 PM
If I remember correctly- Bisi was running 12's in his crx with minimal work and it was with a 1.5 non vtec sohcer

Mid 10's

up here in ohio the fastest stock b16 we have up here is runnin around 15.2 or so... my buddys crx si B16 swap ran a 14.9 with i/h/e. tracks up here suck. My buddy bone... u guys might know him as mista bone. hes a tranny king, but he ran a 14.8 in SOHC Vtec CX Hatch with i/h/e. Im never going to swap in a b16 , fuck do a b18 or b20 or ls or something... not no tq less b16. O and by the way my buddy built up a z6 and was making 162whp n/a with only about 1200 invtested.... still cheaper then a b16... as many of u say, lets see u do with with a b16... haha that woudlnt even cover the cost of the head barely

Originally posted by CRX2NR18@Jul 12 2004, 09:09 PM
up here in ohio the fastest stock b16 we have up here is runnin around 15.2 or so... my buddys crx si B16 swap ran a 14.9 with i/h/e. tracks up here suck. My buddy bone... u guys might know him as mista bone. hes a tranny king, but he ran a 14.8 in SOHC Vtec CX Hatch with i/h/e. Im never going to swap in a b16 , fuck do a b18 or b20 or ls or something... not no tq less b16. O and by the way my buddy built up a z6 and was making 162whp n/a with only about 1200 invtested.... still cheaper then a b16... as many of u say, lets see u do with with a b16... haha that woudlnt even cover the cost of the head barely

Wow, maybe you can start a cool guy club, and call it the "We don't spend money and run real slow crew". Seriously, 15's and retarded high 14's in a B16A rex means your buddy can't drive, or his motor is sucking, and not because it's a 1.6 I think Mr. Bone proved that by running almost the same time with almost half the Hp. And exactly how does a track suck? It's just a piece of road, unless you have potholes and run uphill.

Nice! I wanna start a "cool guy club"! I'll call it "Deez car is teh h0t"!

Anyway, B16s are good motors. Not because they make slow cars fast, but because they have a whole lot of room to grow. They are quick with i/h/e (not fast - quick), and much better than the SOHC 1.5 non-vtec. This is the exact reason I plan on saving up for a B16SiRII swap after I pay off my bodywork - I want something I can swap in to make the car as quick as it should have been in the first place. :p Plus, they are at least respectable on only i/h/e. I plan on using i/h/e in addition to light nitrous.

hey b16vx, he ran mid 10's on the 1.5socher nonvtec, or was that with the larger bottomend which he ended up running later....oh well - I think he runs now a 2.2liter bottom...not sure - don't keep up with NA Sokkka draggin anymore..

Originally posted by JDMilan@Jul 12 2004, 10:26 PM
hey b16vx, he ran mid 10's on the 1.5socher nonvtec, or was that with the larger bottomend which he ended up running later....oh well - I think he runs now a 2.2liter bottom...not sure - don't keep up with NA Sokkka draggin anymore..

Yea, he runs a F22 now, but, well...here.

Given enough money, anything can be fast. So, if you spend 20k on a d15b7 to run 11's just to say "I told you so" should not only be shot, and dragged through the streets. B16 isn't that great if you spend 2300 and leave it stock, or even throw on I/H/E for that matter. That's what GSR's, LSVTEC, CRVTEC's and ITR's are for.

B16 N/A = cash chucker
D series = slum lord

Back