B16a Sir II into HX questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ciph3r

Well looks like it's time for the all holy b series swap for my civic. I want to order from Hmotors and they offer the SIRII B16a for 2250 which isn't bad. I have a few questions before I order this motor.

1) My car is wired for vtec-e can I reuse this for the b16 vtec?

2) My car has a 2 wire iacv, this is what I need/want for the b16 swap right?

3) My primary o2 like the VX is 5 wire, how will I change this to the 4 wire the b16 uses?

4) I want to change the car to obd I. (no emissions where I live) I know you need a harness for the ECU and some plugs on my current harness have to be spliced with the harness that comes with the motor, but which ones? Someone has told me the dizzy and injectors anythign else?

5) My car has an EGR, will this make me run into problems with the swap?

Thanks for any help guys, I've searched so many forums and google, but HX info is very limited.

1. if its wired for vtec then you CAN re-use it.

2. Yes your 2 wire iacv will work for your b16. b cuzz i just re-wired my 3 wire to 2 wire.

3. you have to change your 5 wire o2 to 4 wire, just search for it.

4. what year is ur HX? if its OBD2 then you need the OBD2 to OBD1 jumper harness for you ecu.. If you get a dizzy, then dont get the OBD to match your motor instead for your car.( if your car is OBD2, get a OBD2 dizzy instead of OBD1) I did the same switch from OBD2 to OBD1 and i accidenly bought a OBD1 and had to buy a OBD2 dizzy and coudnt use my OBD1 dizzy......The injector you can use your stock injector..(thats wut everyone has been telling me).

5. Not sure?

Im doin a b16 sir2 with a cable tranny into my Ek wit a p28

Originally posted by qtmac_mien@Jan 13 2005, 12:32 AM

2. Yes your 2 wire iacv will work for your b16. b cuzz i just re-wired my 3 wire to 2 wire.

4. what year is ur HX?  if its OBD2 then you need the OBD2 to OBD1 jumper harness for you ecu.. If you get a dizzy, then dont get the OBD to match your motor instead for your car.( if your car is OBD2, get a OBD2 dizzy instead of OBD1) I did the same switch from OBD2 to OBD1 and i accidenly bought a OBD1 and had to buy a OBD2 dizzy and coudnt use my OBD1 dizzy......The injector you can use your stock injector..(thats wut everyone has been telling me).

5. Not sure?

[post=444986]Quoted post[/post]​

My car is a 1998 (obd2a) from what I understand the plugs on the OBD 1 motor I want are different than my current setup. I know the dizzy plug will have to be spliced from obd 2 plug I have now to the jdm obd 1 plug.

The jumper harness is what I want to use.

Edit : I found the VX guide, I was curious if it applied to my car also.

Are you gonna use your stock harness?? If so most of the plugs should plug right in even tho its OBD2 plugs goin into a OBD1 motor. Im doin the same setup as of right now. A b16 sir2 into a EK (98 Civic). So far i plugged up all the plugs and just extending most of the plugs to reach the others. Everyone also has been telling me that if you want to go OBD1 then you have to switch all your interior and exterior to OBD1.

Originally posted by ciph3r+Jan 13 2005, 01:39 AM-->
qtmac_mien
@Jan 13 2005, 12:32 AM

4. what year is ur HX? if its OBD2 then you need the OBD2 to OBD1 jumper harness for you ecu.. If you get a dizzy, then dont get the OBD to match your motor instead for your car.( if your car is OBD2, get a OBD2 dizzy instead of OBD1) I did the same switch from OBD2 to OBD1 and i accidenly bought a OBD1 and had to buy a OBD2 dizzy and coudnt use my OBD1 dizzy......The injector you can use your stock injector..(thats wut everyone has been telling me).

5. Not sure?

[post=444986]Quoted post[/post]​

My car is a 1998 (obd2a) from what I understand the plugs on the OBD 1 motor I want are different than my current setup. I know the dizzy plug will have to be spliced from obd 2 plug I have now to the jdm obd 1 plug.

The jumper harness is what I want to use.

Edit : I found the VX guide, I was curious if it applied to my car also.
[post=444989]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah, you dont have to change out the entire harness, my friend has a b16a in his EK with the obd 2 harness modded and a jumper harness for the ecu.

Which plugs do you have to extend?

Thanks for all the help!

another question,

I have a HX so my cat is right off the exhaust runners, its "in" the header pertty much. I have an apexi cat back for a DX since its the same way. I wanted to know if the stock b16a header will bolt up to my exhuast with out a cat so I dont have to have it cut to fix.

Originally posted by ciph3r@Jan 13 2005, 08:57 PM
another question,

I have a HX so my cat is right off the exhaust runners, its "in" the header pertty much. I have an apexi cat back for a DX since its the same way. I wanted to know if the stock b16a header will bolt up to my exhuast with out a cat so I dont have to have it cut to fix.
[post=445373]Quoted post[/post]​

i have no clue about that becuase my stock CX cat and exhaust is the same. my stock pipe can barely fit on the b16 headers. my friend new how to weld so i cut off my stock flang from my pipe and my friend welded it at a diff angle to match the b16 flang. all i need to do is get diff. bolts to bolt it up cuzz i need longer bolts.

Originally posted by qtmac_mien+Jan 13 2005, 10:02 PM-->
@Jan 13 2005, 08:57 PM
another question,

i have no clue about that becuase my stock CX cat and exhaust is the same. my stock pipe can barely fit on the b16 headers. my friend new how to weld so i cut off my stock flang from my pipe and my friend welded it at a diff angle to match the b16 flang. all i need to do is get diff. bolts to bolt it up cuzz i need longer bolts.
[post=445407]Quoted post[/post]​

what wires do you need to extend?

I've been extending so much wires i lost track. The ones i can remember is: MAP, TPS, reverse lights, 02 sensor, converted and extended my 3 wire IACV to 2 wire, ECT sensor..i thinks thats about it not sure..

Originally posted by ciph3r+Jan 13 2005, 11:43 PM-->
Originally posted by qtmac_mien@Jan 13 2005, 10:02 PM
ciph3r
@Jan 13 2005, 08:57 PM
another question,

[post=445407]Quoted post[/post]​

what wires do you need to extend?
[post=445420]Quoted post[/post]​

The o2 article is the same, except the locations, your going to have to adapt it to your application, but it is the same principle.

The EGR system will be completely eliminated, you can remove all components.

The B16As header may bolt up, but you won't have a cat, you may also have a space for the cat if you get a aftermarket catback, since they make them for cars with cats behind the header. Anyway, it's nothing a muffler shop can't fix for under $50.

You should have to extend the vtec wires, or do some creative running of the harness. I didn't cut and extend anything except the o2 because it is in a completely different location that the VX/CX one.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Jan 15 2005, 01:21 AM
The o2 article is the same, except the locations, your going to have to adapt it to your application, but it is the same principle.

The EGR system will be completely eliminated, you can remove all components.

The B16As header may bolt up, but you won't have a cat, you may also have a space for the cat if you get a aftermarket catback, since they make them for cars with cats behind the header. Anyway, it's nothing a muffler shop can't fix for under $50.

You should have to extend the vtec wires, or do some creative running of the harness. I didn't cut and extend anything except the o2 because it is in a completely different location that the VX/CX one.
[post=445958]Quoted post[/post]​

Wow, thanks alot, I want to use my current harness wires for the o2, I have 5 wires to work with so I can just use those and leave one out. I will have to repin the wires to the corrent locations for the p30 ecu, but it would work like that right?

Yes it will work fine. Just get the pinout for you car so you can figure out which wires are what, then match it up to the P30s locations.

hey from what i know your b16 will be alot easier to swap than my h22a into my 97 hx. your vtec will work fine. egr does not need to be there. you will need to wire the knock sensor also save yourself some touble and just wire the four wire o2 sensor directly to the ecu. also make sure your signal wire on your o2 sensor is sheiled along with your knock. just be sure to keep track on paper what sensors go where and it should be a walk in the park. also make sure when you get your motor your oil pan isnt dented in more than 2 inches or your vtec will not work nomatter cel or not.

Completely rewiring all the o2 wires to the ECU is a waste, theres just no need to run the extra wires.

UPDATE :

OK guys I've got a motor now. B16a2 with a DC sports JDM 4-1 header. I'm gonna run through the things I need, please tell me if im missing anything.

I've got the motor - Check
Harness - Im going to rip out the hx harness and replace it with a 96-98 ex harness wired for knock.
Mounts - I've got every mount from the SI, the A/C bracket from the SI, power steering pump and bracket from the SI.
Shift Linkage - SI shiftlinkage
Axles - Axles/Halfshaft from SI

Things I still need :

OBD 2a to 2b harness

test pipe/ high flow cat

new P/S line ? <--- I'm not sure what I need to do about power steering.

Do you guys see anything I'm missing for this swap?

Thanks for any help

Back