B16A SIR into 98 hatch

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

shlammed

What kind of troubles would I run to? Is it even worth the hassle? I ask because I got my hands on motor + hydraulic tranny with LSD installed for about 1/10th of what it would normally cost.

I'd like to know what kind of headaches I'd run into before turning around and just selling this stuff for a profit.

I can't seem to find anything on google or any other sites that say anything about doing a b16 this old into an EK except for the fact that a b16a2+ would be easier.

Thanks!

Alright, I did the same swap into a 97 civic EX. I converted everything to OBD-2 and used an OBD-2 ECU. If I had to do it all again, I would just convert it to OBD-1... It's a pretty easy swap though. You need to use the rear bracket from the 99-00 civic SI, shift linkage from a 99-00 Si or 94-01 integra. You're gonna need a jumper harness and an OBD-1 ECU (P28 or P30), if you decide to go to OBD-1. If you want to stay OBD-2, it's gonna be alot of wiring to make the engine OBD-2... If so, PM me and I'll let you know what all you need to do...

Go OBD 1... worth it in the end (might as well since you're going to violate emmissions laws anyway). Same swap in a 96 ex. I believe you will also need the integra a/c bracket if you plan on retaining it. Other than buying the mount and shift linkage it's a very easy swap on the mechanical side of things.

skillz2k5 said:
Go OBD 1... worth it in the end (might as well since you're going to violate emmissions laws anyway). Same swap in a 96 ex. I believe you will also need the integra a/c bracket if you plan on retaining it. Other than buying the mount and shift linkage it's a very easy swap on the mechanical side of things.

i should still pass emissions though, right?

If your motor is older than the year of car you are putting it in you will not pass emissions from what I understand... if you live in a high emissions state then dont do it. I live in KS (it sucks but thank god for no emissions) so I get to run straight pipe and everything :D

skillz2k5 said:
If your motor is older than the year of car you are putting it in you will not pass emissions from what I understand... if you live in a high emissions state then dont do it. I live in KS (it sucks but thank god for no emissions) so I get to run straight pipe and everything :D

I don't think the guys at canadian tire will have any clue what year the motor is from :D

Then yeah, go OBD-1. Get a jumper harness, and a P28 or P30 ECU. You're gonna have to rewire your distributor from 1 plug to 2, but that's easy. The wires are the same... Just in one plug instead of two.

what canadian/american parts are compatible with the motor?

i want to change the timing belt/waterpump etc if im going to swap

When I have to order a part from a parts store I just tell them it's for a 99-00 si, otherwise you are going to have one seriously confused person. I dont know about canadian parts though cause I'm not sure what was released in canada and what wasn't. Gsr parts should work for the most part.

skillz2k5 said:
When I have to order a part from a parts store I just tell them it's for a 99-00 si, otherwise you are going to have one seriously confused person. I dont know about canadian parts though cause I'm not sure what was released in canada and what wasn't. Gsr parts should work for the most part.

ya that's cool

99-00 Si = 99-00 Canadian SiR

and I don't have A/C in my CX so no worries about that.

Actually, it would be better to use the DOHC Vtec Del Sol... From 93-95 I think. As long as it's OBD-1. It's a B16A3 which is pretty much identical to the JDM B16A SirII.

ok so i picked it up today

i cant tell what kind of tranny it is but i know it has LSD for sure

the motor itself is missing sensors, exhaust manifold, water jet or whatever it's called, im planning on changing the water pump and timing belt, and its missing the vtec solenoid

i cant remember if its missing anything else but the distributor is on it and i have a new oem starter for it...alternator is there too

So, I'm guessing I need this:

Waterpump/Tbelt
Vtec Solenoid
Possibly have to change dizzy?
Shift linkage
ECU (not sure which)
Water Jet
O2 sesnors, etc.
Exhuast manifold but might just buy headers

I picked it up for $200 canadian lol motor and tranny

lol

I think I might keep it and make my car OBD-1

I'm not sure yet...

I'm trying to figure out what it's gonna cost to get all the missing parts.

shlammed, don't worry we live in Canada so there aren't emissons tests. Only the States have to worry about that. But I will pay you 300 + shipping for the motor - COLD CASH lol :D
nice grab

do you live in Ontario? At least in Manitoba and Sask and know for sure don't have anything along with man other provs. But doesn't ontario have some E-test thing?

yea i live near toronto

sucks

i think they're getting rid of it soon because they realized its nothing but a cash grab and hasnt helped air pollution at all

Back