b16a stutters @ sustained speed??????

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

90crxb16a

The car: CRX

The Motor: B16a1

The problem: at a sustained speed the car kind of stutters. Example; when driving in 3rd at 40 MPH the car “feels” like its not hitting on all 4’s. Then I increase the throttle just a little bit and it feels right again.

Cliff notes; at sustained speed in any gear and any speed the car runs crappy. As soon as I accelerate it perks right up. Runs and accelerates perfectly.

My first thoughts are spark. I put new plugs and wires, Still sux. I’m thinking the distributor cap next. The coils tested ok(resistance test).

After that maybe something like a bad injector

IDEAS – any other suggestions starting with easiest ones to check, going to hardest appreciated.

Fucken ^%#$&()^*$*%^*

just replaced cap and rotor.... same shit. did not change a bit.

what to check next

my car will some times drop rpm's when idling. to about 450 or so for no reason for about a second then comes back up to 750 rpm's. does anyone think this might be related. i don’t know allot about the different sensors and vacuum controlled devices. should i be checking these things

would improper timing do this. i did my own timing and am not very confident about it.

Originally posted by 90crxb16a@Aug 24 2003, 06:00 PM

would improper timing do this. i did my own timing and am not very confident about it.

anyone know?>????????

no ecu codes

the ecu that cam with the motor??????? pr3 ???????

1st Gen b16a1 out of a 1990 Teg.

im thinking....... i dont know ....bad sensor or vacume controled device. a sensor that works, but not right so the ecu thinks every thing is ok.

there are a couple of sensores on the block , on the back of my motor that the rubber boot fell off. so maybe water on that.....Im really starting to reach now.

Ill find the problem......if it kills me

anyone know what sensor might cause this?

Did not read everything, but have you checked timing? Also, do you have adjustable camgears?

Originally posted by asmallsol@Aug 25 2003, 10:22 PM
Did not read everything, but have you checked timing? Also, do you have adjustable camgears?

no cam gears

im not sure about timing

i set it...so i think

im not sure i did it right.
i read something about jumping a wire and reseting the ecu?????

i just put a timing light on it and rotated the distributor.

would incorect timing do this? if so where can i find info on setting timing.(detailed)
i have the free Vtec shop manual. great if you know what your doing but sux if you have never timed a honda before.

MIKE

you need to jump the service connector under the dash, passenger side. it is a 2 wire clip (green) that is near the ecu (above it, under dash, in kick panel) use a paper clip to stick each end in a hole (to jump it) this puts the ecu into a daig mode, it wont try to adjust the timing on its own. your check engine light will be on, this is ok. then use a timing light and set your timing (if timing gun is at 0deg light should flash on the red mark on the crank pulley)

thanx b16 :worthy:
i feel stupid for having to ask that question, but if i never did i would still be as stupid as i was 5 Min. ago

there are no stupid questions, just stupid people :D

check for vacum leaks,check timing,change fuel filter..then get a tune up..if none of that works then its your ignition/ecu/or fuel system

Originally posted by kingwilly@Aug 26 2003, 12:55 AM
check for vacum leaks,check timing,change fuel filter..then get a tune up..if none of that works then its your ignition/ecu/or fuel system

just re-did my timing. that helped a little but it is still doing it. i will check my fuel filter next. :shrug2:

check it out cause it can be going bad or if u r using regular gas that can be your problem also.

Back