b16a swap info

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

crx91hf

i want to do this swap not now with my tax return but i want to buy all the small parts first........can anyone give a general idea of what is exactly needed....
i will put aftermarket products but i want to stay N/A....no turbos/NOS/supercharger...................i would love a sir engine and work on going jdm with my ride.......thats my gig...if possible any serious tuners in here give me a good setup on what to do as far replacing internals???.......not trying to steal any ideas just a help knowledge so i dont look dumb taking my car to a shop to the swap and get burned.............i have a knowledge on just basics mechanical stuff not as far as having to rebuild or replace the internals go....would i need to??....i got more ?'s not just what is written.. but first things first.... i am semi-conservative...............................

Originally posted by crx91hf@Aug 5 2004, 05:34 PM
thanks for the help spoda but the last time i checked this was a forum not a chat so if u dont feel like helping me be curtious and fuck off..........................................................
[post=]Quoted post[/post]​

Wow dude, chill out. You really should do some of your own research before you start telling off members with much more knowledge than yourself. There are like a million threads on this board alone that have a lot of different members rides and setups. YOu should look at some of the member's rides on here, hondatech, and other places.

As for being conservative, and not knowing how to do anything to your car as of yet, that pretty much limits you to changing oil and putting on simple boltons.

You shouldn't even think about replacing internals, unless you have done some work on cars in the past, or have someone available to help you out. Pick up a couple of honda tuning magazines, a helms manual for your car, heck even a chiltons for someone with your level of experience, and just study about what makes an engine put down more power; the actual concepts, not just the brand names of parts you think look good, etc. The internals of an engine all work together as a unit, and so they cannot be treated as separate parts. Also please be more specific as to what you actually want to do with your car, as there is no one good setup that will be awesome for everything. If you are just trying to not look like a dumbass when you take the car to the shop, maybe try to get a job working there if you are that serious about cars.

Wow dude, chill out. You really should do some of your own research before you start telling off members with much more knowledge than yourself.

first i ask for help not to be not to be cut down..........i have done some research i gone to different sites they all dont tell you what has to be replaced internally when u get the engine(they all go in circles)...........................say it is sitting in some junkyard waiting to get bought........u just cant slap in your car and whoop ass............i asked for help on what internals need to be replace depending on if they are bad or not?.....i dont what some fat dude mechanic to sock some outragious price tag on to replace internals then he does some half ass job doing..............or if he even does have of what he does.............i would like info on what needs to replace so i can ask him hey before u put it in let me take a look and be able to determine what was done to it of course i will see the engine when it arrives and when it is taken apart
......??....i got more ?'s not just what is written.. but first things first.... i am semi-conservative...............................

i was meaning not throwing all kinds of question in the air...........i ll throw my bait if someone bites then i reel in...............bait=?s reel in=answers
You shouldn't even think about replacing internals, unless you have done some work on cars in the past, or have someone available to help you out
never plan to......... ive done enough research to not mess with that.......i would though be a extra to the shop when they do the swap..........for knowledge purposes.....

. Also please be more specific as to what you actually want to do with your car, as there is no one good setup that will be awesome for everything. If you are just trying to not look like a dumbass when you take the car to the shop, maybe try to get a job working there if you are that serious about cars
i was pretty much specific i wanted a Naturally Aspirated car....i want to go total jdm with it..........down to the cig lighter.....but thanks for voicing your opinions.

I'll give you my 2 cents on it.

If its a motor out of a yard it needs a rebuild. Rings, pistons, ect ect. If you got tons of money you can upgrade then. From what I understand (I've never done the swap) You need the motor, cable tranny, wiring harness obd0 to obd1 if its a obd1 motor, axles, shift linkage and I'm sure I'm missing things.

www.hasport.com is a good place to go for b series engine swaps. As for the internals go to ebay or simply do a yahoo search. You'll find it out there. I did :p

Okay, you asked a really vague question in your first post, and I would just like to advise you that in order for anyone to help you out, which many of us are, you just need to ask more pointed question. For a rebuild, the most basic things you will want to replace are the timing belt, timing belt tensioner(get one or elseyou might regret it like I did), water pump, and a new gasket set, which should include front and rear main seals, a head gasket, intake and exhaust manifold gaskets, and valve cover and oil pan gaskets. Obviously a new clutch will be in order, and a good set of halfshafts(axles as some people call them). Flush the tranny and use honda mtf since you are already rebuilding the engine. An actual rebuild would require getting the block honed and getting new main and rod bearings, as well as new piston rings, but generally if an engine has been leak down tested and compression tested, you shouldn't have to replace anything, it is just good insurance against an premature failure.

i was pretty much specific i wanted a Naturally Aspirated car....i want to go total jdm with it..........down to the cig lighter.....but thanks for voicing your opinions

Well, unless you install some kind of forced induction, what other option is there? Steam Powered? Your car as it sits now is naturally aspirated. Unless you have a turbo. or supercharger. As for the jdm, your car will never be fully jdm unless you live in japan and own a jdm car. You will just be grafting jdm parts, which function the same as usdm parts, onto your car. Cosmetics is not my forte' , the Ice and Rice section of this forum will have a lot of ideas and tips, but most of this forum is performance oriented, and most people here go with aftermarket parts to build with. If you find a jdm cig. lighter that is cooler than the usdm equivalent, lemme know and I'll buy it off of you.

I heard if you buy a swap from a junkyard or internet site ,always replace your clutch,front and rear seals,also if your lookin on some websites for like a type-r,gsr or something in that nature,also check to see if they do a leakdown and compression check before buying. :)

I would agree with all of the above, although you can get away with not replacing some of the parts, although it's much easier to replace them with the motor out of the car. The BARE MINIMUM I would do is clutch, timing belt, timing tensioner, and water pump. Everything else will just guarantee that you don't have to mess with it in the car.

As far as not getting screwed, that's a different issue. There are a billion and a half shops out there that will take you for everything you've got. Lemme give you a little perspective. I run a teeny tiny shop out of my garage, mostly just swaps and bolt on stuff/turbo kits. I don't really have the facilities to do many full-engine builds. For a complete 1st gen B16A installed in a 4th generation civic or crx, I charge $3000 flat. That includes mounts, linkage, engine, trans, ecu, axles, harness, timing belt, plugs/wires, dist cap/rotor, clutch, water pump, wiring, install, and fluids. If a customer wants to replace the other stuff like front/main seals, oil pan gasket, etc., it's extra. A huge part of this is that I have a VERY good importer that I have a good relationship with. The owner goes to Japan every couple of weeks, drives all the cars before they get clipped, then takes them to his facility here and does a compression and leakdown test with them, cleans them a little, and gives me a 90 day warranty on the engine. If you're buying a motor that has no warranty and no testing and is sold as-is, you're asking for it. I would expect that a larger shop with more overhead than I have would ask for a bit more money for the swap (like $3500 or so), but should offer you at least what I offer, and should be able to turn it back to you in like 3-5 days.

It's also important to ask what brands of things are going in the car. If you're getting off-brand, ebay mounts, you better not be paying $500 for the set. If you're getting a chopped integra linkage, you better not be paying $250 for it. You should educate yourself on what is out there and decide on what level of performance and quality you need. I would contend that not everyone needs HASport mounts, since there are plenty that will never break under the power of a mostly stock B-series engine. If you have more questions, feel free to email me at josh@wiredspeed.com, and I'd be happy to answer them. Good luck!

Back