B16A TPS goin out?? HELP!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CAFROG

Honda Minion
VIP
I just put a JDM B16A in my car and have a surge/slight miss/flat powerband feeling at lower RPM's (100-2300rpm's). I have just the common three bolts and high RPM seems fine.

I was told (by a mechanic) that it 'could be' the throttle position sensor going out. Thought it would shoot a check engine light....but maybe not. It just may be on its last leg and I'm noticing this weird feeling at low rpm b/c of it.

Its a JDM motor so it could have been sitting for a while and I need to flush the system (I have cheap 10w-30 for now and plan on changing the oil this weekend)

ANY ideas????

100_0731.jpg

it could be your TPS... check it.
you can either check it at the ecu or the easy way, on the tps.
it has three wires, green/yellow/red.
green is ground, yellow is constant 5v and red fluctuates depending on the throttle blade.
check it to see what it reads, with throttle closed.

Thanks for getting back to me, oyy0

I have a digital multi-meter and I dont have any CEL's so you say I should check the continuity of the line? It has to be getting a ground...or it would send a signal....I'm amtotally guessing but I would think the same went for the 5v constant...? So it the red line that fluctuates?? To be honest...this goes a little beyond my abilities but I can check stuff if you can help me understand a little more.

grab your multimeter, tap the black lead into the green wire and the red lead into the red wire, turn on the ignition and see what it read, then do it with the car on.
can't get easier than that.

Thanks. I've never ran a multimeter before. My dad has one and only uses it for their house and houseboat but can't lead me in the right direction. I already called him before I relplied to you. So tap right into the wire-harness after the clip and test just the red. that's what I thought by you first answer but I am not sure.

If it fluctuates normally.....I'm still confused what to look for. I can't here or feel any difference when it doesn't have a load on it (not driving it). If I rev it up...I can't see a problem but I also DO feel it in the middle range....like its flat in its climb up the rpm range VTEC starts flat too but kicks hard after 6750-7800 (far as I took it to this point).

But I've also felt it run smooth and feel torque build in the lower-mid rpm's. So something feels like its a sensor that is fluttering in and out of operation....but I'm at a loss in terms of diagnosis. I appreciate the help thus far

when I spoke of the low mid rpm range being flat...I meant when I was driving it...not when I'm under the hood.

I have read about the lag in a b16 but I know it shouldn't feel that flat and then not at times too

oh I see whats wrong, when the car is idling it needs to be around 0.45v (the blade in the throttle body is closed).
as the throttle opens (you can have someone either press on the gas or push the butterfly), it should gradually go up to a maximum of 5v... which is WOT.
if you have anything else being read, higher than 5v for example then the tps is going bad or its just plainly bad.

I've had an LS in my Hatch for 10 years so I knew it would be a different power band but I really think something it fizzling out. It has been sitting (its JDM OBD1) and I plan on flushing the motor oil soon. Wonder if that (sitting a while) might be a possible problem....?

Thanks for the help on the multimeter....I think i can get it figured out but wont be in his town this weekend. I'll check it for sure.

One other weird thing that probably isn't the problem but could be....

I bought Iradium NGK plugs and the guy said that they're "suppose to be" pre-gapped and the tip will break off if you try to gap them. So I'm going to throw some cheap NGK's in it. I thought that if the gap is too much....car can run rich and have a miss......?

could be a possibility but its not something commonly seen. ngk's are usually pretty dead on if you haven't done some major work the motor.

I think you're right. Its gotta be something different. If its not the TPS can it be that mechanism on the firewall right behind the top of the intake manifold....? (its more on drivers side behind the manifold) It runs a good size vacuum tube to the top of the manifold. My LS was hunting at idle when it was mid-cold in runnign tempature and a friend put another one on (about 7 yrs ago) and it helped the hunting idle.

I know my idle doesn't hunt but I'm just taking a shot in the dark. I can't remember what that part on the firewall is called.

Wait...maybe that was a TPS that wasw changed in my LS....? Shit I'm all mixed up....sorry

I went out with a flash light and I see what was 'replaced' on my LS. Its shaped like a small can of apple juice and lays horizontally right behind the back of the intake manifold

I still have my LS but not sure if I can swap those parts. I'm thinking.....No

MAP sensor is good to go. I had to mount it to the firewall b/c JDM mounts it there. I have it all buttoned up with a new del sol dohc vtec map sensor.

Have you checked the timing, it sounds like the ignition may not be advancing properly, put a timing light on it and rev it to see if it advances properly. Your EAV and idle control valves shouldnt affect performance under load.

Back