b16A TURBO

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Hello, i need some advices. I got a delsol with a 2nd gen b16a in there.
I wanna turbo it so here is what i got:
Hybrid T3 T04E 5-bolt Turbocharger( .50 Compressor A/R / .70 Turbine A/R, NIPPON RACING HONDA B SERIES TURBO CONVERSION KIT low compression,with 82mm turbo pistons and steel head gasket , rings and everything,255fuel pump, fuel regulator,10lbs flywheel,stage2 clutch,eagle rods,head port and polished,crack is milled and balanced, 440cc injectors, and i bought a p72 with hondata s200 already installed and used on GSR, i will take away my p30 and re tune the p72 and hondata, i know those 440cc are good for up to 350hp so i dont want more than 350hp :),also the 82mm pistons are kind of too big for a b16block so i dont wanna push it too much and crack a sleeve, even tho i got a block guard. i am having the block bored to 82.00 mm because at the shop they told me that there is already piston to wall clearance in the pistons.Any body knows the factory piston to wall clearance for b16? the head is stock so i wont be pushing it more than 9000rpm.
So my question is with those mods how bad can i push the turbo?:) i guess 15psi top, well i just wanna get the 350hp, so i guess 12psi should get me there. thanks for the help and let me know if i am going something wrong here :)
i am just trying to get this del sol ( 1670lbs with driver) in low 13's

Last edited:
block guard are bad news u need to sleeve the block . that guard will brake just gave it time. and u need s300 hondate to run boost . its way better then s200 .

well im not planing on getting some crazy hp, i just wanna get 300whp :) people say stock internals are good for 350-400 with good tuning! so s200 is not good at all for my turbo? or not good for over 300hp?

s300

the s200 will not run boost . s300 is the one u need . i have a ls vtec b18 block and b16 head stock and a t3 t4 turbo running 7pounds of boost . and a s300 because i had a s200 and when i want to run the turbo it didnt have the all the right stuff my hondate dealer took it back give me the s300 . i wreaked my right ls vtec with what block guard installed and was pissed offf it broke . thier was no boost on it when it broke.

you can use a s200 but you need to install the boost feature. look at hondata.com. They most likely gave you the s300 because the boost option is an extra $200

the block can handle 500hp with a good tune.
saw it on a magazine to show how strong the b16 was. New pistons and rods were used only because the rings gave out at a little over 400hp. The setup made 500hp with new rods and 9.1 pistons. No block guard or nothing. hell even the head bolts were reused .

The head was stock except for the crower cams. i can prolly dig up which ones they used. I think they a garrett turbo with the same trim as yours. i'll get back to you when i get to the house

The whole experiment was to see how much boost it could handle with the right tuning.

hey thanks a lot guys, and by the way i guess that s200 has the boost option i dont know but the guy that sold it to me he was using it on his integra turbo setup . so i guess it should be fine, and if its not i will use the Apexi Vtec controller but i dont like that thing too much :) so i just hope the s200 will work.And yea 500hp is possible but i dont think its a safe setup that will last for a long time :) maybe i am wrong .And i am sure they didnt bore the cylinders to 82mm :) so thats why i got the blockguard :) but come on guys i only want 300whp :) is that too much to ask from a set up like mine. :)
PS i dont actually want 300whp i just want low 13's and if 250whp are gonna get me there than i will be happy with 250 :)

Stock bore of a b16 is 81mm so i would say an 82mm bore would be safe because your getting it sleeved.

well thats what i am worried about, i am not getting it sleeved! but its only 0.20mm from the wall ,more than the factory recommendation :) 0.20mm is just a hair :))))))

you mean .020? if so thats normal. i did it on my lsv for the new new pistons

i think i mean .20mm not .020and i am not talking about the piston to wall clearance, i am talking about .20mm extra from the wall, because the factory recomnations i think are 81.5mm or 81.75 my pistons are 82 so thats extra 0.25 or .50mm but thasts the piston size and you have to divide it i think by 2 and you will get how much you are taking of the cylinder wall , am i wrong?:)

My cp pistons were .020 over sized. I also had to bore my walls on my LS block. I had 81.5mm final bore.

I see what you mean but the way its supposed to be written is .O25 or .020.

Not .20 I could be wrong. Blanco is the one who normally corrects me. lol we'll see.

lol :) yea lets wait for Blanco :), so the question for Blanco is, if from 81.75mm you go to 82mm pistons how much mm are you actually taking from the wall( just one side of the wall not all the around ) so is it .0**mm or .**mm :)
thanks for the help Taco, i guess it should be ok but some people say 82mm pistons are ok for an all motor, but for a turbo the wall will get too thin and it wont hold, even with a block guard, and i only want to hold for 300whp :)( FOR REAL :) NO MORE BOOST than 300:)

Personally, I wouldn't boost on stock sleeves with an 82mm bore.
i guess i am F****d :), you are not the first one telling me that ,oh well nothing i can do, maybe find some 82mm sleeves, but is gonna be hard i guess( here in Europe),can anyone tell me where online i can get some cheap 82mm sleeves?:)
And yes exactly as i tho its .125mm from the wall, i just wasn't sure what the honda factory boring limits are, but i think its 81.5mm or 81.75.. so i am only 0.12mm or 0.25mm over and thats really not a lot but oh well ::) Anybody knows what the factory piston to wall clearance is for b16?
And someone told me once that a hondata s200 will not be good for my boost 300whp application and i need s300, you cant boost with s200 how true is that?
thanks a lot guys!

glad we got that out of the way.lol

Thanks Blanco. :D

Back