b16a1 vs b16a2

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

h1coupe

i am restoring a hydrolocked b16a2 (obd-1 gray plug)motor!
the thing is the block is scrap!
and i´m looking for a new one!
so the question is is there a difference between the b16a1 obd-0 block and my block( i am talking about just the bare block with nothing in it)?????????

Originally posted by dohch22a4@Dec 5 2003, 04:14 PM
There is no difference between a bare SiR and SiR II.

if you are talking about the actual casting of the block, no one has been able to tell me that there is any differance. And all the parts from previous and current B16 engines are interchangable as along as the OBDs match and what not. Interms of internals the OBD0 b16 and the B16a2 have the same compression pistons. However the SirII has slightly high compression pistons, and I think more agressive cams.

the question really is whats wrong with the block?

i have a friend who hydrolocked his, snapping a rod, and the rod punching a hole in the block. the block can be re-welded and then posted to regain strength.

the pistons are different also. there is a compression raise from 10.2 to 10.4. i know this because i have a pr3 sir in my car, and i am building a p30 sirII in the garage. the dome height on the p30 is ever so slightly higher.

that´s what happened to my block the guy who had it hydrolocked it and it snapped a rod and it looks like a mess around where the rod connects to the crank it punched a hole on both sides!
if there is a chance to have it welded then i will check that out:)
thanks!

if you re-weld it, make sure you post it, or all the time and money youve put into it will be a waste.

The posting process involves machining and tapping holes in the thrust sides of the block and torquing in threaded aluminum “posts” that physically “connect” the outer part of the cylinder with the outside (peripheral) walls of the block. With these “posts” installed, if the cylinder walls are going to move, they have to move the outside walls of the block too, so they add a tremendous amount of strength, making the block capable of withstanding a lot of abuse. This modification also has no ill effect on cylinder cooling, which is something I’m big on these days.

Endyn webpage. This will explain a whole lot.

If budget is a concern, I've said this 20 times...go to your local Acura dealer, cruise thier junk pile, find an LS (you will) and ask for it. I've gotten two free LS motors and turned down 3 more last month. They just pile them up and scrap them. They ALWAYS repair GSR and Type-R's because of how much the heads are worth- but the LS isn't worth shit to them. Before you try to have a B16 welded, posted, repair a sleeve etc.- you can totally work over your free LS longblock to accept you B16 head. ;)

But to answer the question, yes there is a difference in the two blocks. The thermostat housing is different.

Originally posted by cws13@Dec 7 2003, 12:39 PM
If budget is a concern, I've said this 20 times...go to your local Acura dealer, cruise thier junk pile, find an LS (you will) and ask for it. I've gotten two free LS motors and turned down 3 more last month. They just pile them up and scrap them. They ALWAYS repair GSR and Type-R's because of how much the heads are worth- but the LS isn't worth shit to them. Before you try to have a B16 welded, posted, repair a sleeve etc.- you can totally work over your free LS longblock to accept you B16 head. ;)

i don´t think that would work over here on Iceland:)
i think there are about 10 integras in the whole country and 6-7 of them are type-r the rest are ls i think and only one of those has been crashed and i know the guy that is rebuilding it:)
so i could search and search and i wouldn´t find anything :p so my best option is to find a block over there and have it expensively shipped to Iceland :(

Wow, hats off! Talk about being dedicated. That being said, do you have a machinist you trust? I know where an 90' LS Longblock is right now. If you do the legwork on finding out shipping cost, I'll see about sending it to you. It needs a rebuild, but was running when it was pulled. I didn't have room for another, but if it's still there- it's yours. Shipping will be high, but I've been investigating getting a line straight from Japan, and even those aren't that bad. Good luck.

what happened to the thread about the dude that threw a rod, and jb welded the block, and it worked?

was that on here?

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Dec 7 2003, 12:52 PM
But to answer the question, yes there is a difference in the two blocks. The thermostat housing is different.

will it work together if i have everything obd-1 and i get a obd-0 block will the thermostat housing cause problems?

Originally posted by h1coupe+Dec 8 2003, 05:37 PM-->
@Dec 7 2003, 12:52 PM

will it work together if i have everything obd-1 and i get a obd-0 block will the thermostat housing cause problems?

As long as the fan switchplugs in, it's ok. Just make sure when you buy those parts, to get them for that block.

Originally posted by 92b16vx+Dec 8 2003, 11:48 AM-->
Originally posted by h1coupe@Dec 8 2003, 05:37 PM
92b16vx
@Dec 7 2003, 12:52 PM

As long as the fan switchplugs in, it's ok. Just make sure when you buy those parts, to get them for that block.

thank you! you have been a great help!

Back