b16a2 in to a 94 civic ex

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Turbocivicracerx

Hi I have a 94 honda civic ex with the d16z6 engine. I currently have purchased a b16a2 block out of a 99 honda civic si. I have another post I am posting on what internals and stuff I have in mind for the swap and what I plan on doing to the motor. I have heard that the b16a2 will bolt up to my current engine mounts in my car. I know I have to get a new computer I am wondering what would be a good idea I am thinkin of running about 12-14 psi of boost on this engine and am plannin on getting hondata. So with this set up what ecu would be in order? I am planning on building a fast/everday driver with occasional track use. Also with that boost im not sure on what tranny to get I know I need a hydro but what would be a good tranny to get im thinking ls or gsr but Im not too sure? I know I have to get new axles but from what year/car? Also will my shift linkage work or not? Along with the ecu question I heard my car is obd 1 and the computer for the b16a2 are obd2 so will there be any rewireing or can I buy a conversion harness? Thank you for all you time in answering my questions if there is anything else I should be aware of it would be greatly appriciated thank you!

ok, first off, yes mounts will work, except the rear engine mount on the back of the block, im pretty sure a del sol DOHC from 94 + will work. second with the b16 linkage, it will need to be lengthened, not a big deal, cut it, extend it and weld it. for the wiring, you got a few choices, you can get a flip kit, or change things on the motor to make it obd 1. you can put 93-95 GSR injectors in it, change the dizzy to a 93-95 dizzy and the rest should all be the same as your D series harness, not sure if your car comes pre wired for v tech, maybe someone else can answer that for ya. correct me if im wrong but i believe the b16a2 uses the p72 computer stock, however if you do like i said and switch the injectors etc then you cant use the p72 comp. the reason obviously being because it is obd 2. as far as axles, if you use the b16 tranny then b16 axles should be used.

thats all the info i can give ya, sorry i couldnt answer all your questions, hopefully someone else can help ya out with the rest. for trannys you can check the b series tranny guide that pissedoffsol posted, its got alot of good info as to what tranny's are good for what type of application you have.

p.s i hope you are planning on using low compression pistons if you are runnin 14 psi in a b16 and plan on making it last for a while.

hope this helps some.

i have the same siyuation, I have a 94 Del sol with a d16z6 in it and my friend wrecked his 00 civic si from the rear. So we took out the motor and he sold it to me, so my main concern is what, if any are good wiring harnesses they make that would work for my car. I have the whole b16a2 motor and ecu but i heard that you can get a wiring harness and you use the obd1 ecu. Can someone help. Thanks

Well thank you for your reply DelSlo I recived some good information from it. Just to make sure I understood everything you said I am going to say what I need to do lol. Stock mounts will work with the Engine but since this is the actual B16A2 block I need to get an Integra rear mount or one from the 94 delsol+, Next the stock linkage wont work so I need to get B16 shift linkage and lengthen it. Ok on the next part I am a lil confused though lol so stay with me....

You said I could get a flip kit for the Ecu when I think flip kit isnt that when you have the obd1 wiring harness and it converts it to obd2 plugs that plug into a obd2 ecu? If thats right Wouldnt I have to get obd1 injectors still and the dizzy also? correct? Im not sure If I am thinking the same thing on the flip kit lol so thats why I am asking lol I just want to make sure I am getting this right lol

For the vtec wiring Im not sure If it is the same I know the d16z6 motor is Vtec so could the wiring possibly be the same? for the B series?

Yea for the build part of the motor Im going all out for the engine to hold the boost. Well thank you for your time again I know I got a lil confused on the flip kit thing Im just trying to get it right lol Thank You again Tristan

Originally posted by DelSlo@Dec 26 2004, 10:58 PM
second with the b16 linkage, it will need to be lengthened, not a big deal, cut it, extend it and weld it. for the wiring, you got a few choices, you can get a flip kit, or change things on the motor to make it obd 1. you can put 93-95 GSR injectors in it, change the dizzy to a 93-95 dizzy and the rest should all be the same as your D series harness, not sure if your car comes pre wired for v tech, correct me if im wrong but i believe the b16a2 uses the p72 computer stock, however if you do like i said and switch the injectors etc then you cant use the p72 comp. the reason obviously being because it is obd 2. as far as axles, if you use the b16 tranny then b16 axles should be used.
[post=437541]Quoted post[/post]​

ok first thing is i wouldn't listen to a person who spells vtec like he does. second your putting this engine in a civic and if you got a b16 from a CIVIC then you don't need to cut and weld the linkage. it is the same thing, third what the hell the p72 is for the grs engine, the ecu you should use is up to you, you can use a p30 if you want to go stock for your dohc civic set up or you can get a chipped p28, and for your wiring. next use your stock wiring, and your stock injectors all honda injectors are 240cc all you need to do is wire the vtec if your car is not pre-set for the vtec.

the only good advice he gave you was this
p.s i hope you are planning on using low compression pistons if you are runnin 14 psi in a b16 and plan on making it last for a while.

and the dizzy

I have a quick question though... My car is a 94 Civic ex with the D16Z6 which is a Vtec motor. The wiring should be the same correct (for the d-series and the b-series) ? I belive it would be but I would just thought I would ask someone who has allready done the swap, Thank you again for all your guys time. Tristan

[/quote]

ok first thing is i wouldn't listen to a person who spells vtec like he does. second your putting this engine in a civic and if you got a b16 from a CIVIC then you don't need to cut and weld the linkage. it is the same thing, third what the hell the p72 is for the grs engine, the ecu you should use is up to you, you can use a p30 if you want to go stock for your dohc civic set up or you can get a chipped p28, and for your wiring. next use your stock wiring, and your stock injectors all honda injectors are 240cc all you need to do is wire the vtec if your car is not pre-set for the vtec.

the only good advice he gave you was this

and the dizzy
[post=437784]Quoted post[/post]​
[/quote]

take it easy man, there is a reason why i said i wasnt sure on the comp. i havent got my computer yet so i cant tell you what will work for sure.

im doing a swap right now, a 00 B16A2 into my 93 sol. ive got all the wiring switched over onto the b16 and everything, its ready to lower into the car once i put my header on. the only problem ive run into is the purge solenoid connector, its the only connector i ahve that doesnt match, havent found an answer to this yet.

ok so here is what ive done so far, used my obd 1 d16 harness, switched the dizzy to a 95 gsr dizzy, swapped in 95 gsr injectors, and a 95 GSR alternator, (WHICH I FORGOT TO MENTION EARLIER) everything else plugged right in, vss, all coolant sensors and back up light switch etc. as far as the linkage, like dorky over there said, the linkage will work if its a civic you are swapping into, but he said that not me, im not sure, my del sol engine bay is the exact same as yours but my wheel base and other dynamics of the car are not, hense the reason i have to lengthen my linkage. sorry for that screw up. my swap goal is basically keeping it simple and making everything look factory, which ive been successful in both. ive never done the flip kit for the wiring, ive only been told about so i couldnt give ya details, but i am tellin ya that the way i am going about it now is very straightforward. with the flip kit im not sure how easy it will be. im told its not too bad if you are really mechanically inclined.

UPDATE< ok i bolted my motor in the del sol, all motor mounts fit except the rear. ive been told to use a 94 DOHC del sol rear bracket and mount, ill order one after new years.

BUT i had to use my d series power steering pump, the pump off the b 16 had a weird bolt oer somethign where the high pressure line bolts in on the top. my line wouldnt go into the pump all the way so i switched that!,

anythign else i run into ill let ya know

that's nice, but you are going to have to pull the engine out again to fit that rear mount .
Good luck!!!

are d series and b series fuel rails the same? i tried threading on the cap nut on the end of the inlet side of the rail, i used the d series nut but it wont thread onto the b series, i found that odd seeing as how honda's fine thread pitch is usually the same for most things

no the fuel rail is different i thought the same thing but it is totally different. had to get a new hose and a new cap from honda got it and it bolted right in and no leaks.

on my 95 dx when I put my 00si b16a2 in all I did was use a 98gsr engine harness,plugged right in to everything except a few extra plugs that are for a gsr[butterflies and such],I had to lengthen the IAT sensor about 4 inches and had allmotormonster program a obd1 ecu for me and she started right up no problems.I did have to run vtec from the shock towers to the ecu but that took all of 15 min.

and yes my ps hose didnt fit either,havnt fixed that yet,fuck power steering.I dont need it after all.but I am curious how the d ps pump lined up on the b and how you did it DelSlo

[
and yes my ps hose didnt fit either,havnt fixed that yet,fuck power steering.I dont need it after all.but I am curious how the d ps pump lined up on the b and how you did it DelSlo
[post=440149]Quoted post[/post]​
[/quote]

alright well i got that mount out, didnt need to pull the motor.

the power steering pump is out and ive gotta put the new one in when i get my new del sol DOHC rear mount, ill update ya then, but it looks as if it will bolt right up man, i got enough hose to go past the power steering pump so im sure it will bolt up just fine

the fitting from the hose in my car wont match up w/the 00si ps pump.thats why I was wondering,did you get a different hose from the firewall to the pump or are you able to use the old one?

Originally posted by deth101@Jan 7 2005, 06:33 PM
the fitting from the hose in my car wont match up w/the 00si ps pump.thats why I was wondering,did you get a different hose from the firewall to the pump or are you able to use the old one?
[post=442728]Quoted post[/post]​

hey bro, no i havent bolted it up, im having alot of trouble with this rear mount in order to fiddle with the mount and not pulling the motor i have a cherry picker supporting it cause i got hte tranny mounts out so i can shift the motor ahead to slip the bracket in, and in twisting the motor out of the way i never put the new pump in cause i left it out to give me some extra clearance. by the looks of it, it will bolt right up no sweat, and my hose, yes i left the stock hose and i got plenty of hose to reach it, ill let ya know as soon as i do it, all i gotta do is figure out what mount to use.

93 sol, b16a2 engine, what rear engine mount brakcet, i got a 94 dol sol, DOHC bracket, different style, wont work......???any help

in my 95 dx civic I used a 96 GSR rear mount but I'm not sure if the sol is different espically if the 94 sol one dosnt fit,sorry I cant help more

Back