B16A2 vs B16B for a '95 Civic

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ToonMOG

[FONT=&quot]OK, I've a few questions, and I am aware that these questions are novice, but hey I guess I am a novice...

I've got a '95 Civic EX and I want to do an engine swap, my friend pretty much talked my out of the K20A so now I'm thinking of either the B16A2 or the B16B... or the B18C GSR (JDM or USDM)

1. Which engine would be better for a bolt on turbo?
2. Which engine would have better stability?
3. Which engine (if not both) fits better into the engine compartment
?

Also, I unfortunately have an automatic in my car right now, and I wanted to know if there is some sort of conversion kit once I get the engine+tranny. Any info about how much of a pain this is to do and anything to look out for would be appreciated.[/FONT]

Last edited:
1. Either the B16A2 or the B18C
2. Neither, really
3. They all fit pretty much the same in the 95.

Thanks, any suggestions on what would provide to be a more stable engine for handling than what I am considering

the b16 has a 10:4:1 compression ratio which is not ideal for boost. you would need to lower the compression ratio considerably for it to respond well to higher boost pressure. if you are going boost you should definately go gsr or b20 from the crv. i think the gsr has a compression ratio of 9:4:1 and the b20 is even lower than that. im going b16a (SiR II) into my hatch with a rebuilt BUddy Club Spec IV head but i was going with boost and gsr has my vote.

my mistake... the gsr is 10:0:1 and if you can get your hands on the b20 from the 97-98 crv then the compression ratio is 8:8:1

i would say either a b18b.b20b or b20z. im not shure about the comp of the b18. but there are 3 diff compressions on the b20 dependin on witch one you get. there is a usdm b20b and jdm b20b with 8.8 there is a jdm b20b with 9.2 adn there is a jdm b20b and a usdm b20z with 9.6. any of these would be good for boost. i would say either the 8.8 ones or the 9.2 personally. i am runnin one of the jdmb20b with 9.2. im goin to boost it preety sone. it has bein very stable and fit in very easy. i just used a ls engine harness and pluged every thing in. i also used the ls ecu. also with the b20b you have to use the ls intake mani because they have a tall "giraffe"intake mani unless you get one of the rare jdm ones with a ls style ones they came only in japan in the orthia wagon.

Back