b16a2 w/p72 gs-r ecu -- vtec coming in really low

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

JDM_EK9R

all motor
i have a 97 ek hatch with a b16a2. obd2-obd1 jumper with an obd1 p72 ecu. vtec comes in at 4800rpm. isnt really making any power in vtec. i beleive vtec on the 99-00 civic si comes in at 5500 rpm. is this why im not making much power in vtec? anyone have any ideas? will i make a significant difference in power if vtec comes in higher than 5500rpm? never had this problem before.

Actually it's more like you don't feel like it's making power vs. a higher RPM VTEC point where you would feel that "jump" in power. The typically "optimal" VTEC cross point is around 4500 - 5000 (ie when the lower cam profile crosses with the higher cam profile on a dyno graph). Honda just set the VTEC cross point higher so you can feel the "power" (for the consumer's perception that VTEC = power).

i have a stock 2000 si and mine comes in at 5400rpms and you can hear it kick in but i dont feel the power un till about 6500rpms but it pulls f-ing hard i think its do to my IM i got some cheap one that works pertty good. i raced a type R integ with a pipe and CAI and got him 3/4 of car belive it or not.

Back