B16Y7 swap to a B16Y8

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

TreeFrog169

I am looking to swap my B16Y7 over to a B16Y8. My question is this going to be a plug an play swap, you know just unplug my motor and pull it and the comp. and drop in the new motor and plug it up with the comp. for it? Some one told me yes but I would have to wire the VTEC. Then I asked him to elaborate and he said to look on the internet. So here I am looking for some one to explain this to me.

My base car is a 97 Civic LX 1.6 Non VTEC and it has close to 150,000mi on it and I love the car. Its fun to drive and great transportation and reliable, but I know the motor will not run for ever so I want to build a new motor and swap it in when the car gets close to 200,000mi. If I could swap it to a VETC that would be great. If not I will just pick up another block like I have and rebuild it and stay non VTEC. My goal is to keep it a simple task because this is my driver and I want to keep the economy and reliability, but I want it to have some pep to it also.

Thanks in advance.

D16Y7 and D16Y8 D,D,D,D,D,D,D,D,D,D,D,D,D,D,D.

It is very simple, just pullthe old motor out and swap the new one in, run the vtec wires, and the vtec ECU.

This is all some what new to me so can you explain to me wher the VTEC wires go to? Will the flywheel form the 16Y7 fit the 16Y8? Also were are some good places to find internal motor parts (links or web sites)?

you'll have to swap the outter wires on the tps sensor and rewire the IACV as well

im not sure of the exact hp, but a y8 isn't that much more than the y7...i know the y7 is like 107 hp...

stock my 4dr had a 5spd y7....and on more than one occasion i've put 1-2 lengths on 5spd ex 2drs that had vtec y8's in them....

IMO it's not worth it to do a complete swap for just a few hp...

if nothin else get a ZC swap for $650 from www.alljapaneseengines.com

that's an easy 140 hp.

the y8 is rated at 127 i believe. but i would definately go for a dohc b-series just because they have more power and they have more aftermarket support, like cams and pistons.

Why not just do a mini me swap. The Y7 and Y8 are the same block crank pistons and connecting rods, the tranny is a bit different but not much. Buy a Y8 head and intake manifold and a ECU and you are all set, sort of. But there is an issue of a knock sensor (KS). The Y8 block has a KS and the Y7 does not. If you buy the Y8 ecu (P2P) you will need to install a KS, but don't worry the Y7 block is designed to accept a KS. If you don't want to buy a KS buy the Z6 ecu (P28), the P28 does not reconize KS's. The Z6 ecu is from a 92-95 SOHC VTEC engine and will work better that the P2P but you will have to buy a conversion harness. The Y7 and Y8 engines are OBD2 and the Z6 engine is OBD1 so basicly the harness you have now will not plug into the P28 ecu with out it. I recommend the buying the P28 and conversion harness, it is about the same price as buying a KS and and P2P but will give you better preformance and will be easier to tune and will requires less wiring.

The mini me swap is cheaper that buying a whole y8 engine a lot cheaper that buying a B16/B18. I know the the b16 will give you 23hp more than the mini me swap but the money you save you can use for something like nos or a junkyard turbo.

What ever you decide to do keep us posted and good luck.

Originally posted by civicious@Sep 8 2003, 07:08 PM
im not sure of the exact hp, but a y8 isn't that much more than the y7...i know the y7 is like 107 hp...

stock my 4dr had a 5spd y7....and on more than one occasion i've put 1-2 lengths on 5spd ex 2drs that had vtec y8's in them....

IMO it's not worth it to do a complete swap for just a few hp...

if nothin else get a ZC swap for $650 from www.alljapaneseengines.com

that's an easy 140 hp.

people like you need a dunce cap , go to the corner now and think about what you just said.

Originally posted by civicious@Sep 9 2003, 12:08 AM

The D16Y7 has 106hp and the D16Y8 has 127hp, give or take a hp either way. That is 21 hp more if you go with the Y8. Plus the Y8 tranmission has a shorter throw meaning that you will be able to shift faster. If you buy a short shifter for your Y7 tranny is will be nearly the same as the Y8 tranny, I think. So don't listen to this guy because he don't know what he is talking about, if he was beating a Y8 with his stock Y7 then the guy in the Y8 wasn't trying to win.

Originally posted by All Show+Sep 11 2003, 10:18 AM-->
civicious
@Sep 9 2003, 12:08 AM

The D16Y7 has 106hp and the D16Y8 has 127hp, give or take a hp either way. That is 21 hp more if you go with the Y8. Plus the Y8 tranmission has a shorter throw meaning that you will be able to shift faster. If you buy a short shifter for your Y7 tranny is will be nearly the same as the Y8 tranny, I think. So don't listen to this guy because he don't know what he is talking about, if he was beating a Y8 with his stock Y7 then the guy in the Y8 wasn't trying to win.

there is a lot of misinformation in this thread...

a zc is 120-130 hp, not 140

good luck swapping that motor into an obd2 civic

ex tranny is not a shorter throw than the dx, they both have the same shift throw

the GEARING is shorter on the ex, and will make you accelerate faster than the dx tranny

the mini me swap will not make you that much faster, unless swap transmissions as well

My bad. I knew the the tranny was a bit different but i wasn't sure exactly what the difference was. Some one had told me it was the throw but you are probably right. But the gearing i think is very simular and wouldn't make a lot of difference, would it?

But you must admit that swaping the head intake and ecu is much cheaper and easier that swaping the entire engine if you are only putting in a Y8 back in it. I could be wrong but thats my 2 cents.

zc:
Power (bhp@rpm): 137@6800
Torque (ft/lbs@rpm): 108@5700
Cam Design: dohc

D16Y8:
Power (bhp@rpm): 127@6600
Torque (ft/lbs@rpm): 107@5500
Cam Design: sohc

you're telling me that a single OHC is better than a DOHC that has ten more horsepower than the SOHC??

either way, there's no point swapping heads like that. you'd be better off jsut buyin a damn B16.

edit: all show....the name says it all..... go fuck yourself, noob.

LOL, relax man. No need to start name-calling. It’s just that the ZC is such a difficult swap into an OBD2. And I'm sorry but I don't believe you when you say that you put 1-2 lengths on 5spd ex 2drs with your stock Y7 4 door, it just doesn't make any sense.

And what about Vtecsir1, he told you that you need a dunce cap and to go to the corner and think about what you just said. You didn't tell him off?

he's not a noob. he can say what he wants.

as far as my car smoking 2 doors, bring your car on down and i'll show you what's up. i'll hand you your ass on a fuckin' silver platter if you like. there's a thing called driving skills, the driver makes a huge difference in racing.

I refuse to argue with some weirdo on the internet so this will be my last post on this subject to you. You obviously don't know what you are talking about because if you did you wouldn't recommend swaping a ZC into a OBD2 car. And as far a stock ZC having 139 hp you are full of shit. The JDM ZC has 129hp and here is a web site to verify this. http://www.clubcivic.com/board/engine.php So now that we are clear that the ZC is 129hp and the D16Y8 has 127hp why would you recommed the ZC. Is it really worth 2hp, and converting your car from OBD2 to OBD0. I don't think so. That just stupid! And just because I am a noob doesn't mean that I don't know anything. I am not saying that I know it all but I obviously know a bit more that you. Case closed!

This topic has gotten out of control. There will be no further discussion / argument.

Closed by a moderator.

:locked:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back