b18 into a 88 crx

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Adam04

I have been told that the hood will hit if i put an ls motor into my crx is this true.
also is 500 plus shipping a good price for an ls motor tranny ecu and wiring harness?

From what i have read no a B18 will not fit under the USDM stock hood. I am also planning on a ITR swap into a CRX for a full road course FF car. Just something to mess around with till i am finished up with school. But a aftermarket hood should not run you too much so thats not a big deal at all really.

As for the engine. 500 bucks seems pretty cheap but I have no idea really for older engine prices. I have been doing quite a bit of research on 98+ ITR and CTR engines for sale...

Originally posted by Adam04@Aug 28 2003, 01:47 PM
I have been told that the hood will hit if i put an ls motor into my crx is this true.
also is 500 plus shipping a good price for an ls motor tranny ecu and wiring harness?

Did you find the Ls engine on a site, or is it from a guy you know? $500 for a complete swap is damn cheap. And my friend has a B18c in his 89 crx si. The hood clearance is fine.

I am not sure a guy my dad deals with had a couple lined up but that fell trough so , i guess it was to good to be true

the hood will clear, you just need to clearance a couple of spots on the supports underneath the hood. i had a 90 hb w/ a 96 gsr in and after i did that it cleared fine

The hood is absolutely clear. I swap 6 cars already (hatchack and crx ) , so trust me. But 1 question for u , Where the hell can u find that completed engine for $500 bucks ? That's very cheap, just get it while it still there, LS engine in hatch will run 15 flat consistent. I used to have b18a1 in hatchback with 70 shot and it pull 13.8 .
p.s. Make sure u get engine from 92, cause 90-91 model just 130 hp while 92-93 had 140 hp/121 lb-ft of torque

Hopefully I can find a good deal soon on a good condition CRX with a blown motor or a rolling chasis. I hope to have my lil fun car done by March of 04.

Good luck with the ride...

to all you guys who say that your hood clears, what mounts are you using? because i have a b18c1 in my 91 CRX si with HAsport mounts, and the hood touches the engine on the drivers side. i even have a cervinis sniper hood which has slightly more clearance then the stock hood and it still touches. the hood closes fine but it does come into contact with the engine. from what ive read, the only hood that will clear is the zc hood, and possibly some other aftermarket hoods.

also on a side note, i would advise that in a crx to spend the extra cash and use the hasport mounts. i had place racing, or some other shitty company, and they blew big monkey nuts. they didnt touch the cervinis hood but they did touch the stock hood. and they gave almost no clearance for the exhaust against the front crossmember (part of the crossmember was actually cut off). they only replaced the side mounts but still utilized the stock front and rear mounts, custom fabbed with some shitty home made peices of ass they called brackets. needless to say, the rear bracket (which was a 2x1/4" thick peice of steel) broke completely in half. the hasport mounts also have a better position of the engine and the axles and it clears the crossmember with at least 3/4" now maybe more.

with the stuff im selling in classifieds, using my place mounts, I had no problem clearing the hood with my B18A1 in my 91 crx Si, I had an lsvtec, b16a1 head in there, and the hood rubbed, but still shut.

its all about the mounts you use, the b20 block deck height is much greater and it will fit into a CRX cause theres lots running b20 vtec out there, haha im not sure about the b20 intake manifold though, hahah those things are mad tall and steep...

Originally posted by Bl6CRX@Sep 11 2003, 03:06 PM
its all about the mounts you use, the b20 block deck height is much greater and it will fit into a CRX cause theres lots running b20 vtec out there, haha im not sure about the b20 intake manifold though, hahah those things are mad tall and steep...

B20 deck height = B18 deck height

The B20 IM will NOT fit.

Originally posted by riceboy@Sep 10 2003, 11:23 PM
with the stuff im selling in classifieds, using my place mounts, I had no problem clearing the hood with my B18A1 in my 91 crx Si, I had an lsvtec, b16a1 head in there, and the hood rubbed, but still shut.

yes thank you. mine rubs too, but i can still shut the hood. when i had the *cough*shitty*couch* place racing mounts on my crx with a b18c, the stock hood would close but it touched the hood. then i got the cervinis sniper hood, and it cleared the hood by a few millimeters. then i changed to hasport mounts, which positioned the engine a little higher, but now rubs the hood again. i would recomment the hasport mounts for 2 main reasons based on engine position.

1. gives more room for an aftermarket header (very tight against front crossmember)
2. better axle position

Back