B18 into a CRX Del Sol?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CRXDRESOL

Hi all, I just discovered and joined this site today in search of help!!!

I have a 93 Honda CRX Del Sol with a B16a engine... for many reasons and problems I need to change the engine and have a contact who can get hold of import honda engines! I don't really want a B16a again, I got bored of it, so they suggested a B18 out of an Integra....

I am not mechanically minded, i'm more knowledgable about I.C.E and styling and only the basics of tuning... But I have a couple of mates who are clued up mechanics who have the time and space to perform an engine swap for me...

HOWEVER, they feel very confident about putting in another B16a... it's a straight swap, easy as! BUT feel very weary about putting in an Integra Type R engine...

So i'm asking for some advice as I am in dire need of a new engine, and fast!

Will the engine do a straight swap? Will the gearbox fit? Do I need to uprate or change the mounts? Do I need to uprate or change driveshafts? If so which B18 engine would be best and why!?!?!

PLEASE HELP!

a type r motor and trans will be a direct bot up swap. except for a few things.
1. you will need a obd2 to obd1 ecu jumper harness(only if you use a type r ecu). if not you can use your stock ecu.
2. the collector on the exhaust header might be to big for the exhaust on your car.
there might be a few mor little things you will have to modify,
but being this early on a sunday morning, thats all i can think of right now.

Will the engine do a straight swap? Switch any B18 engine into your sol it will fit really easily and will go in as easily as if you were just switching in a new b16

Will the gearbox fit? Yes, you have the choice of using your old transmission or getting a new one that came with a b18,
Do I need to uprate or change the mounts? No
Do I need to uprate or change driveshafts? No
If so which B18 engine would be best and why!?!?! You should not use these because B20A, B18A1. These are the same OBD and would make for the easiest swap
B18b1, cheap, no vtec joy, slightly more torque, poor choice of transmission, If you don't mind doing some work and the head of your b16 is still good you could build a ls/vtec engine, b18b bottom and b16 head and ecu.

B18c1, GSR engine, good all around, Trans may have LSD.

These would require a Harness from a place like www.hasport.com to deal with differing OBD ecus
b18c5, ITr motor, the god motor This would be the best, You should get the ECU when you get the engine.
B16b, CTR motor, High compression woo, Expensive

Thanks alot for your help guys, it really really helped alot, I've had a word and were going ahead with the Intergra Type R engine, hopefully all should go smoothly, cheers!!!

Back