b18b block build suggestions.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ebay it is! Hah thanks again for all your help and im sure i will be needing more of your assistance later down the road.

So a little update. I am getting a block this weekend that just got out of the machine shop. b18a with a gsr main girdle, honed, decked, line bored and a polished crank. It will also come with a ls head. What do you think?

sounds like its ready for a set of pistons and rods. if the machine work was done right, its definitely a good place to start.

Yes definitely. I got a good price on it so i might as wel get everything started with paying for the machine work. What do you think about an ls vtec turbo? or should i just stick with the ls turbo?

the vtec head will make much more power than an LS head, even a built LS head will struggle to keep up with a stock vtec head. i say go for the lsvtec, just make sure you build it right.

Ive heard some good and bad things about the lsv setup. I heard there not reliable. And much more expensive.

they can be just as reliable as any other engine, it all depends on how well it is built.they are more expensive, since you must buy the parts to convert your ls to an lsvtec.

not a bad choice, with an intake manifold and some cams and valvetrain you can still make decent power.

Hey matt i got a question for you since you seem to know your shit. What do you think about welded differential ls?

i chose to buy a differential, i wasnt comfortable running a welded differential in the transmission. a lot of heat can be generated in there, and at times a lot of stress on the differential as well. i was scared that a weld would crack or break over time, and that could cause a big mess.

i went with an MFactory LSD.

on the welded diff. keep in mind that it will be very difficult to steer with the diff on a FWD car welded up, and if driven in the rain a VERY bad idea as the car will simply want to go straight even at slow speeds with the wheel cut all of the way one way or another. A drag only car tha isnt driven on the street would be no issue other than it wouldnt want to turn very well and if the wheel was turned and you were pushing it it would fight you the entire time.

i love this thread i just got a hatch and a full b18b1 swap, by income tax will be rebuilding with forged internals.... i have a blox racing intake manifold, what cams are you using and valvetrain? is the valvetrain just for beter handling on the high rpm juumps? your making 376hp to the wheels matt?

I'm using Brian Crower valvetrain. Its designed to take higher RPM's, but the LS rocker arms are extremely weak. Anything above ~8500 and youre asking for trouble.

Anyway, my car has made 448whp on pump gas and methanol injection using those camshafts, and an edelbrock victor x intake manifold (i have port work done as well)

Back