B18B into Delsol - 10k later problems starting

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Bonkers

I recently swapped a 97 Integ B18b into my 93 Sol Si. Everything appeared to go smoothly and for the first 10k miles I was very happy with the swap. All of a sudden weird things are beginning to happen -
-- Power is gone - with the AC on I have absolutely no tire spinning torque - even if I rev up first. Car can make it to 80, but no where near as fast as the D16 could.
-- Severe idle hang - for the first 5-10 minutes after startup the engine tachs itself at around 3k and will not come down.
-- Startup - the motor fires up before completely turning over - its like you can almost breath on the key to get it running, then the idle is choppy.
-- MPG - plunging - went from a steady 32mpg to a weak 29mpg now I'm watching the numbers drop tank to tank. Currently at 25mpg.

There have been two catastrophes that occurred at about the same time - I don't think they were the causes, but they definitely didn't help:
Spark plugs mysteriously drown - drove thirty miles and noticed sparks under car before I realized what happened.
AC Belt snapped - ripped apart both other belts and ripped timing belt off of sprocket. Four new belts and re-timed.

New belts, fuel filter, distributor, ig coil. I'm told that the sparks from the drowned plugs was from a melted cat - still haven't replaced. Money's tight right now and I cannot afford to loose the commuter so I'm hoping to narrowing it down to one solution. I'm planning to replace the plugs, wires and cat here soon.

I've been toying with this for weeks now, I'm seeking possible other causes or suggestions.

The ac belt snapped (for whatever reason - it was the original that came with the motor) and took out the other two belts. I was doing about 80 at the time and the spinning motor wrapped the belt around the crank pully and the friction melted the cover. Once through the cover it wedged itself into the timing belt and caused the belt teeth to shear right through. All happened in about 5 seconds.

It sounds a lot worse then it was, but my new AC belt still doesn't sit right and the motor has wound down in #s since.

As for the plugs I stopped into the grocery store one night and left the top off. When I came back I continued my ride home when all of a sudden the road became covered in hot sparks from my car. I pulled over and checked things out to discover that all four of my spark plug wells were filled with water. The engine ran so strong back then I didn't even realize it was missing until it was way too late. I can only assume some punk-azz*(^(&(%^$%( popped the hood when I went in and filled the holes. I'm lucky it didn't wreck the motor.

I have been told this could warp the head, but I still have good compression and no coolant problems.

I seriously doubt someone popped your hood, remove the plug cover and then poored water into the wells.

Your problem is when you timing belt came off at 80mph, probably bent some valves and dicked up your pistons. As far as the AC, when the belt came off it probsbly pulled something in the mountong out of alignment.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Aug 20 2004, 01:01 AM
I seriously doubt someone popped your hood, remove the plug cover and then poored water into the wells.

Your problem is when you timing belt came off at 80mph, probably bent some valves and dicked up your pistons.
[post=379575]Quoted post[/post]​

:withstupid:

Originally posted by Bonkers@Aug 19 2004, 11:52 PM
I can only assume some punk-azz*(^(&(%^$%( popped the hood when I went in and filled the holes. I'm lucky it didn't wreck the motor.

[post=379532]Quoted post[/post]​

:lol: :bash: :lmao:

yup-

pull the head, check the valves.

also, check your o2 sensor... that can directly effect gas mileage

If someone didn't add the water then I'd like to know how four plug wells get filled on a dry motor. I drove the 70 miles home from work at over 75mph without a single problem, then stopped at the store, then ended up pushing most of the last seven home.

I fine-tuned the timing when I replaced the belts.

I have a spare O2 sensor laying in the shop somewhere and will swap it out to see if helps.

lsvteccrx - I'm going to try to get the head pulled this weekend so I'll get back to you on your offer.

Back