b18b ls/vtec build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Christiphera

hey guys,

i plan on putting a b16 head on. i eventually want to boost it later. i am slowly learning more and more about the complications within the build. but i want to know if you guys can help me clarify some things.

b16 head requires p30 ecu? or will p72 work, chipped?

how reliable is the ls water and oil pump. if i leave them, stock ls timing belt will work right?

if i plan to boost at around 12 pounds, would just pistons, rings and rod bolts, and bloack guard be enough? how sturdy are ls rods?

what do lma's do?

finally, how easy and reliable is the golden eagle ls/vtec conversion kit to install?

hey guys,

i plan on putting a b16 head on. i eventually want to boost it later. i am slowly learning more and more about the complications within the build. but i want to know if you guys can help me clarify some things.

b16 head requires p30 ecu? or will p72 work, chipped?
The B16 head will work fine with an unchipped p72 ECU.

how reliable is the ls water and oil pump. if i leave them, stock ls timing belt will work right?
The oil pump won't change things as it is not geared off of the timing belt. You can use your LS one, I would take the time while the motor is torn down to replace it with a GSR/ITR pump as they flow more oil. You can use the LS waterpump and belt together, again you are better off running the GSR/ITR parts as they are built to handle revving to 8000 RPM.

if i plan to boost at around 12 pounds, would just pistons, rings and rod bolts, and bloack guard be enough? how sturdy are ls rods?
12 pounds doesn't say much, it depends on the turbo you use, but if you are going to boost I would replace the bottom end. Eagle rods are not really expensive neither are good forged pistons. Especially compared to the life of your engine.

what do lma's do?
Edit: A little slow here. Lost motion assemblies. They dampen the motion of the VTEC follower when VTEC is not engaged. You need them.

finally, how easy and reliable is the golden eagle ls/vtec conversion kit to install?
I didn't use it, but if it had been available when I did mine I would have.

Last edited:
see im really trying to decide wether to just slap one of those ssautochrome turbo kits on and see how it happens...i had a fully built boosted 99 si and i cant get away from boost, but i miss vtec too. so i donno if i want to boost for fun or vtec it for reliability. i know someone who's had their ss manifolds boosting at 18 lb's and has had it on for over 6 months.

The oil pump won't change things as it is not geared off of the timing belt. You can use your LS one, I would take the time while the motor is torn down to replace it with a GSR/ITR pump as they flow more oil. You can use the LS waterpump and belt together, again you are better off running the GSR/ITR parts as they are built to handle revving to 8000 RPM.

after 96 the pumps are all the same, or it might be 98, i forget... but everything else is great :)

Back