b18c or h22a ?!?!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

evo8

i need help, i have a 95 civic ex and i want to put either a b18c or a h22a. if you were in my position what would you choose and why? and what would i have to do and get to make a complete swap so everything works perfect but still have room for a turbo.

i heard that a h22a isnt really worth it but im not sure..

please help!! :unsure:

thats like asking if you should buy a honda on a mustang forum... all i can say is youll love the trq. if your going to be comparing engines i would take h22 over gsr. you wanna compare itr to h22 type s? the type s will spank the itr. 220/163 of crazy mad vtec compared to the itr which is what 195/130? the h22 weighs more but it doesnt weigh that much more.

b18c5's are over glorified, yeah i admit there pretty quick but h22 is best in my book. Most of these ppl will never spend so much money into their engine that aftermarket supply for them will be a problem. Most ppl just want a quick out of the box solution and h22 is cheaper.

Originally posted by BrowNKiD@Aug 30 2004, 12:40 PM
i heard h22 are known to leak oil
[post=383787]Quoted post[/post]​

This simply isn't true. An H22 won't leak any more or less oil than any other well-maintained Honda engine.

H22A (US) Vs. B18C (US)

If your plan to go turbo in the near future, I wouldn't pick the H22A. Although, built-in advantages of the H22A, such as a closed deck, bigger bore, and bigger stroke. What the H-series lacks is the way the cylinders are lined; the sleeves in the H-series are much thinner. Because of this, the cylinder walls of the H22A can't take high-boost. Unlike the race-prepped B-series, the cylinder walls are thicker, making it possible to boost 15 psi on stock block.

If you plan to go turbo, the B18C will be the better pick. You can boost 10 psi safely on a stock block. I have a buddy, boosting 10-15 psi, and its a daily driver.

With the H22A, you'll probably invest about $3,xxx to $6,xxx to boost over 15 psi. Example: Bottom-end work, which includes sleeves, pistons, crank, and etc.

I hope the information I have provide will help guide you in the right direction.

Back