B20 Building?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sablo16

Ok...I just got myself a 95 Civic w/ a B20 and a b16 head and trans running at 8psi boost...its running on stock internals and im worried about how long things are going to hold up if any one could lend some insight i would be thankful...im also looking to build a new b20 or improve the one i have (i think starting from scratch is a bit cheaper and a wiser idea)...i was wondering if ppl could post ideas on which components (pistons, turbo electronics trans) i should use when building this new motor and recommend a good shop to do the work or an online vendor where i could buy the parts at.

Here's some advice.
read, learn and do it yourself.
The swap is not that hard to do, but it will cost you like 3-4K more if you "let" someone do the swap for you.
They will call you untill the very end about you need this and you need that, =more $$.
If you do have a shop that will do it, don't pay any more than an estimated half up front or if you want to be safe, go with a shop that will build it and bill you later, or after it's done.
If you don't know them for like more than a few years, maybe it's better not to tell them what you have under your hood.
If someone who wants your shit, because he don't want to work he will come back and steal it.

its tough to find a good shop around here...(flemington, nj)...hell im havin trouble just finding parts that will work w/ a b20 like rings n shit like that could someone shed some light...also im wondering if the type R head will fit w/ the b20 and if so should i use hte type R trans also? Where can i even buy just a type R head?

Someone PLEASE list some good shops near Philly/NYC...

which type-r?
civic or integra?
those heads are hard to find and very expensive.

probably the integra type-R heads...ive heard theyre very durable and exactly how expensive is expensive?

OK like thetoymaker said this is not something you just buy some stuff and do. Read up on this a lot. Since you have a B16 head, and all a ITR head is is a P&P B16 head, just spend the $ on your B16 head. Get it P&P or just get some more aggressive cams. If you are looking for a good deal on pistons look Here

LS aftermarket Rods work, there are many brands. If you do the math, just building a B20 and turboing it may be your best bet. You already have a turbo, and if it was done right, you can just turn up the boost on a buildt B20.

should i change my trans or keep using the 99 civic si trans thats in there? im also considering buying nitrous express' n-tercooler has anyone heard anything about this system like how well it works etc?

im really more concerned with making the engine that i have last rather than increase horsepower, it has 235 horse as is and its perfect for around here.

by the way if anyone knows a shop in ny,nj,or pa that can do work on my engine please leave their name, num, etc.

i think im gonna stick w/ the engine i have and just get the port and polish new pistons, rods, resleeving, ignition as was recommended...altho should i change nething on the lower end like the crank etc?

what boost should i run my engine at after these mods...12psi? how high could i go w/o pushing it? also, what boost controller would be sufficient?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
235HP? NA? without built internals???? YOU ARE SMOKING CRACK.
I once saw 240hp on a car that they spent like 15,000 on just the motor and they were for real You can't be.
Lets see some pics or you must be lieing as usual. ( :ph34r: )
I would love to see this car now, because you ain't got it.
Uh, should I resleeve it??? BWHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

KICK HIM! KICK HIM! BAN HIM!

I pray that the administrator gods realize that this guy is full of shit and must not corrupt posts any longer.

Either this guy is a kid or need to be spanked like one.
Ya know I don't want to hear any more lies, you freak.

Oh and spell your words out you retard.

:ufucktard: :locked:

ok buddy...w/e...i just bought my civic from a friend n it already has a turbo you must have misunderstood...im just worried about the upkeep on the car seeing as how IVE NEVER OWNED A HONDA BEFORE...im learning as much as a I can as quickly as a I can...my dad worked as a mechanic for 15yrs and hes teaching me, however, hes worked on fords and chevys his whole life he still has 2 classic chevys in the garage...one of which we rebuilt the engine on together several years ago...i kno my shit im just not into the honda game yet...and btw if u dont believe me:

http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view...?page_id=342039

thats my car...now im just worried about taking care of her n i keep getting different answers from different people

Dont be a hater im sure there was a time when you didnt know anything about Hondas either

and by the way that car doesnt have plates because i just got it 3 weeks ago n the insurance company is giving me crap...i dont bullshit n i dont hate...i just have some questions im sorry if theyre beneath you

Originally posted by thetoymaker@May 4 2003, 03:21 PM
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
I once saw 240hp on a car that they spent like 15,000 on just the motor and they were for real You can't be.

uhhhh duhhhh... he mentioned he bought the car with a b20/vtec TURBO... so 235hp isnt hard at all to get...

and the all motor car your talknig about is a guy named marouj from here in so cal... he got his shiet built by Charles Madrid and tuned by Jeff Schaffer at Import Builders

Originally posted by thetoymaker@May 4 2003, 06:21 PM
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

I pray that the administrator gods realize that this guy is full of shit and must not corrupt posts any longer.

dude you are a fucktard read the first fuckin post on here, go ahead I'll wait..........good your back. Now pull your head out of your ass and tell me what did he say the boost was he was running? Hmmm did it say N/A? Fuckwad....go find superhonda.com. They like coolguys like you

Originally posted by machine+May 4 2003, 06:00 PM-->
thetoymaker
@May 4 2003, 06:21 PM
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

dude you are a fucktard read the first fuckin post on here, go ahead I'll wait..........good your back. Now pull your head out of your ass and tell me what did he say the boost was he was running? Hmmm did it say N/A? Fuckwad....go find superhonda.com. They like coolguys like you

:withstupid: :owned:

hey i dont suppose any of you guys would be able to answer some of the questions i posted earler? Im sorta in the dark here...im 18 and now i have this nice car and i want to know how i can make it faster so far ive gotten the following:

1. port and polish b16 head
2. new pistons, ls rods
3. (new ignition?)

should i keep the 99 civic si trans i have?
what brand of boost controller has worked best for you guys?
resleeving?
when all is said and done and i complete all listed modifications what boost range is safe?
nx's n-tercooler good idea or bad idea...500 bucks...is it worth it?

excuse me if anything im asking is extremely elementary but im only 18 and looking for definate answers and guidance

i say keep the trans you have, consider throwing an LSD in it.
your stock ignition is fine, look into upgrading the fuel system first.
resleeving is only necessary if you plan to boost more, once its sleeved, sky is the limit for boosting (considering it is tuned well)
how much boost you run is dependant on the strength of your rods (get some ARP rod bolts and head studs while you're at it), your compression ratio, if your walls are sleeved or not, injectors(fuel system as a whole), and tuning tuning tuning :)

its already got a quife lsd...n it already has a secondary fuel pump and 310 injectors...so really what the next logical step i should take?

i guess you should decide how much boost you want to run, then make a decision on weather or not to resleeve

Well, as far as durability, you should be okay boosting 7-8 psi. 235whp is very healthy for street use. That should last you a good while as long as you keep up the maintenance on it. A sleeved block, say Golden Eagle or AEBS, should handle as much boost as you want out on the street. They claim their blocks can handle up to 50 lbs. of boost. Anyhow...if you're gonna build from scratch, go ahead and sleeve it. Stock b20 blocks are good for all motor with compression ratios under 12.5:1. Anything over that and beyond 7-8 lbs. of boost causes the cylinder walls to crack. You might as well go for a rebuild, use new rods, new pistons(9.5:1 is good for turbo), new oil pump, new water pump...you should know the basics. Same as a V8, only you're working with less than half of one. I know from personal experience that Import Builders has some good combination of parts for sale. I've built motors using their specs on their crated motors and I've been pretty happy with the results. Check out their website, you can get a general idea of what you're gonna need to build a turbo motor. www.importbuilders.com Once you get the parts, you'll realize that taking apart a Honda block is a piece of cake. If you've rebuilt V8s, this will be a walk in the park. All you gotta do is keep an eye on the specs. When working with a turbo setup, the most important aspect is the TUNING. I can't stress how important that is. Find a good tuner to tune your setup once you're done. Then you can determine a "street" psi. boost level and a "track" psi. boost level. Without propper tuning, you might as well be running a "money incinerator" in your engine bay. Be safe, Peace.

i just heard from a friend of who works on his own car (eclipse w/ jdm engine) and been working on it for several years...he told me that a port and polish on a honda head sort of defeats the purpose of having the turbo there...comments neone?

so i guess now my plan is using the block i have...getting it resleeved...new pistons, rods, pumps, maybe getting the crank worked on...balanced and whatnot...if i get this done will the b16 computer still be sufficient or should i upgrade the computer system...i was considering the an apex boost controller or maybe a fuel management system...any recommendations? im also looking at an n-tercooler system does anyone have any experience w/ this item or know how well it works?

ive got a couple grand to throw around so im looking for more quality than price

does anyone know of any shops on the east coast that can do some of the fine tuning?

A port and polish on any head is a good idea because you want all of your cylinders flowing as close to identical as possible. Like on a V8, your O2 sensor only reads the sum total of one bank (or 4 cyl) this could be one kinda rich, one kinda lean...you get the picture. Also, sure the turbo is going to chop the air and cram it in, but you can give it more room for cramming. Power will be made.
Boost controllers- I like the Greddy Profec-B, it's easy to use and you can have a street and track setting with an optional remote button on your wheel for on the fly boost changes.
The NX Intercooler, I've heard that they cool so well that they can crack your intercooler. These are for jabbing at the track and you need other things first, even with 2K to spend, you will run through that quick building your bottom end. Plus if you want to turn up the wick you will max out those 310's quick.
Get a Hondata system and the MAF to run the higher boost and a good tuner.
Hope this helps and the car looks great ;)
Upgrading, not replacing, the oil pump to a Prodrive pump is a good idea too.
To the noobie ricer who can't read and was slamming good questions- eat a dick. .......84 Accord, Sard wing, bags, fat bitch riding shot gun...am I getting close? :whatafucktard:

Back