Ball joint problemo

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

UDT

Ok so i needed to get a new ball jooint pressed in the knuckle........coo

Well in turn i fucked up the ball joint on one of my A arms, so i said fuck and got a skunk camber kit...........coo

well now im left puting it all back together and cant get the drivers sider lower ball joint's (Nut) to go on with out spinning the ball joint itself. I have tryed lifting the whole thing with a jack from the lower control arm to make it stop moving but its a no go, it still turns. I am completely out of ideas? Will any of the tools from Auto zone help me with this task? I was thinking a thing to press down againts the base of the ball joint and the knuckle to mabye stop it from moving. Baiscly the weight of the car isint enough to keep it from moving when i go to turn the nut.

Hit the LCA with a hammer (from the bottome) a few times to get it stuck up on there good. Thats how I finally got mine to work. Or you could have a friend put some pressure on it with a pry bar. Thats fun too :D

Air tools own.... just put an air ratchet to that nut.

Blasting it in quick bursts with an impact usually works, or try to lubricate the threads to keep it from catching and spinning.

actually all the ideas given so far might work but if you F*cked up the ball joint then you might have f*cked up the nut also? this happened to me and i had new ball joints installed then i went to put on the old nuts and it was spinning too so i just ended up buying some new nuts. they should be able to spin on to the ball joint freely with minimal torque thats why they are castle nuts in order to run a coter pin through it once you have torqued them to the specified torque and found a free hole alligned properly to install the cotter pin. IMO if you went as far as getting new ball joints or skunk2 adjustable's then just get some new nuts if you haven't tried that yet. good luck.

Badhabets23

my new ball joints came with new nuts. You got screwed if you didn't get one.

LOL i replaced on ball joint. And on the other side had a hib pushed out to get to the studs. Tapping on the control arm with a hammer did it though, easy to a few wacks and it started holding enough to get the nut on. i would have tryed that befor but i fiured if the weight of the car wasint cutting it then how were a few taps from a hamer gonna make it all of a sudden grip, but it did.

Thanks fellas

yeah bro, the info above is good, fuckin rip of the LCA with a hammer, pound it up there good, an impact will solve the problem...maybe try to get a small pair of vice grips and hold the stud up top, get a few threads then move the vice grips down to the bottom and finish the job...ball joints are a bitch...but jeff bro after you get good Ill let you do them on my car...

Back